ONLY for those that have seen S7E6 - Disappointed?

WotW Spoiler Town, with extensive House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones Spoilers including major leaks, filming spoilers, photos and all. Consider yourself warned!
PulledGroin

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm an HBO subscriber and I will still watch it again on Sunday with my friends. But to me this is one of those few, rare GoT episodes that left me at the end thinking "Meh." True, there were a lot of interesting tidbits here and there as others have mentioned already, but overall I felt it was poorly written by GoT standards, and seemed much more like a generic TV show with better inside jokes and SFX.

The nameless soldiers who accompanied the 7 up north all predictably died. The two named characters and the Dragon that died were minor and fairly unimportant which had little impact. For all the prophesying of the Brotherhood, they didn't really add anything or do anything, and the Hound basically choked again when faced with fire challenges. Jon sends Gendry for air support the second they get a wight (I'm pretty sure the Hound could carry a 20 or 30 pound skeleton and run just as fast as Gendry). Fighting the wights with fire, dragonglass, and valyian steel didn't seem to do anything special other than when you smacked one they didn't get back up. And the dead conveniently finding 4 huge, thick, mile long chains to drag the dragon from the lake just left me shaking my head. Tormund is saved at the last minute, the party is saved at the last minute, Jon is saved at the last minute...bah, boring.

Arya v Sansa seemed forced. Littlefinger spends 5 minutes convincing Sansa to use Brienne as a shield against Arya and then Sansa promptly ships her off to Kings Landing. And Littlefinger isn't really doing anything worse now than he has the entire series, simply playing the game, this triggers his demise next episode?

In my opinion, this episode had two or three plot points they wanted to get across, Dany sees the Knight King and loses a dragon, so now she is convinced and pissed off and turns her focus north, and some tension/drama in Winterfell to set up Littlefinger's death. I guess because the show has been so good for so long that I have unrealistic expectations, but to me, I think they could have gotten those points across in a much better - much more GRRM way - than this. Maybe I am thinking to critically or logically about this and that led to my disappointment, so I watched S7E4 again which did much to restore my faith. :D

Your thoughts?

Chilli

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:24 pm

The overall plot and the Winterfell scenes were indeed poorly written. But there were some great character moments between Tyrion and Dany, Jon and Dany and between the mighy seven beyond the wall. They do make up for the plot.
(But for the first time in my life I didn't like Arya and the Winterfell scenes)

Pigeon

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm

I really liked this episode. My only 3 puzzlement were:

1. How did the Hound recover so well from that massive leg injury?

2. I don't care if he is magic, the NK throwing a spear upwards at that velocity from a standing position at a moving target is a bit much. Then totally miss Drogon.

3. I would have liked to see Drogon attempt to roast the NK and his sidekicks.

Jack Bauer 24

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Pigeon wrote:

2. I don't care if he is magic, the NK throwing a spear upwards at that velocity from a standing position at a moving target is a bit much. Then totally miss Drogon.

I thought Drogon does attack or was that just wights?

Flayed Potatoes

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Winterhell plotline is terrible, I agree.

Jack Bauer 24

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm
Winterhell plotline is terrible, I agree.
I haven't read the Winterfell spoilers for this episode. Now I'm worried.

Pigeon

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Jack Bauer 24 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm
Pigeon wrote:

I thought Drogon does attack or was that just wights?
He does, he lands in front of the group and throws fire at anything coming at or around them. But after the NK comes forward and gets Viserion, I would have thought Drogon might have turned and aimed at him.

Chilli

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Drogon didn't really attack much, only when he arrived. After that he was a flying taxi.

Talisman83

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

The Night King (at least) is seemingly impervious to dragon fire. He steps towards it and it parts, just before he throws the spear.

BeardedOnion

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I'll start off by saying this episode, overall, is strong as hell and has some of the best interactions in the entire show. It's given Jon seriously great moments and fleshes out characters needing it. It forwards the plot ALOT and evens the odds for the Undead.

However. What happened to Sansa last year with her not telling Jon about the Vale has happened to Arya but arguably even worse.

Sansa has done nothing but do what Jon has asked her to do, rule in his place. She's focusing on food, keeping the lords happy and preparing for winter. She keeps saying all the time how much she wants Jon back (AFTER begging him to stay), she offered Bran rule instantly.

Then Arya comes, assumes the worst despite treating the lords just how Jon would have in her situation, falls for LF's plot, acts like a huge hypocrite about "serving" the Lannisters and threatens to destroy all of Sansa's and Jon's work over a dumb letter written by a navie child who believed she was helping father. She then THREATENS to fucking kill Sansa over it and wear her face. This is completely disgusting on her part and it makes her unhinged, moronic and untrue to herself. Much like how Sansa didn't tell Jon about the Vale despite giving Jon Stark robes, calling him a Stark, giving him WF when offered it and supporting him throughout S7. The only one undermining Jon is Arya right now.

It seems like Sansa and Arya both get turned into unlikable, retarded assholes for no good reason, more so than any other main, just for pointless tension. These girls are clearly meant to be intelligent, pragmatic and extremely caring to their family. Please treat them like they are all the time and not some of the time.

It also makes me question just how important to the overall plot D&D claim they are, since they have zero build up or foreshadowing for the undead war, aren't present at the KL meet up and had their stories butchered at times (s5 for Sansa and S6 for Arya).

I still love this show with all my heart, but god damn my favourite characters get it rough sometimes.

• Information