Season 7 Pacing

WotW Spoiler Town, with extensive House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones Spoilers including major leaks, filming spoilers, photos and all. Consider yourself warned!
Needle

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Sam the Slayer wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 am
Needle wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:52 am
I've read the Green Chili leaks and they said nothing about Sansa and Arya just pretending to do it all to trick LF, but correct me if I'm wrong. I agree on the whole dumbed down LF, that's one of the most absurd decisions they made this season.
Dyanna wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:12 am
I don't think they necessarily see through his facade. That wasn't the way it was going at all in episode 6. The point is Bran is in Winterfell and Bran can see what LF has done in the past ...."chaos is a ladder" so logically the sisters have an oracle on hand, who can and will point them to the truth.
The leaks gave me the impression they're putting up an act. It says that Sansa condemning LF is supposed to be a twist for both the audience and in-universe. I'm guessing that's why they made a point of showing LF has spies everywhere in Winterfell in E5, to make sure the audience knows that Arya knows she's always being watched by LF. It wouldn't surprise me if Arya was manipulating Sansa to manipulate LF, if that makes any sense, and that's why she gave her the knife at the end of her last scene, to show her that she is loyal to her and putting up a sort of facade, and this is the thing that prompts Sansa to go talk to Bran and eventually have LF executed. I dunno. We'll have to wait until episode 7 to find out, I guess, but this doesn't contrast with the leaks and these are exactly the kind of nuances and details the leaks have neglected to mention for the past episodes.
That would make me less angry at Arya's characterization, that's for sure. Even if it is a trick, I doubt many fans will forgive D&D. This entire mess only fueled more anti-Sansa and anti-Arya hate from the fandom, which is something we seriously don't need right now.

BeardedOnion

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Needle wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 pm
Sam the Slayer wrote:
Needle wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:52 am
I've read the Green Chili leaks and they said nothing about Sansa and Arya just pretending to do it all to trick LF, but correct me if I'm wrong. I agree on the whole dumbed down LF, that's one of the most absurd decisions they made this season.
Dyanna wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:12 am
I don't think they necessarily see through his facade. That wasn't the way it was going at all in episode 6. The point is Bran is in Winterfell and Bran can see what LF has done in the past ...."chaos is a ladder" so logically the sisters have an oracle on hand, who can and will point them to the truth.
The leaks gave me the impression they're putting up an act. It says that Sansa condemning LF is supposed to be a twist for both the audience and in-universe. I'm guessing that's why they made a point of showing LF has spies everywhere in Winterfell in E5, to make sure the audience knows that Arya knows she's always being watched by LF. It wouldn't surprise me if Arya was manipulating Sansa to manipulate LF, if that makes any sense, and that's why she gave her the knife at the end of her last scene, to show her that she is loyal to her and putting up a sort of facade, and this is the thing that prompts Sansa to go talk to Bran and eventually have LF executed. I dunno. We'll have to wait until episode 7 to find out, I guess, but this doesn't contrast with the leaks and these are exactly the kind of nuances and details the leaks have neglected to mention for the past episodes.
That would make me less angry at Arya's characterization, that's for sure. Even if it is a trick, I doubt many fans will forgive D&D. This entire mess only fueled more anti-Sansa and anti-Arya hate from the fandom, which is something we seriously don't need right now.
Word, my friend.

I've been a huge Sansa fan for years and I can safely say the hatedom around her is one of the worst, easily up there with the Skylar hate. I don't want Arya hate either, I'm really glad that it sounds like they will be a team in S8. I feel like both of them have some serious potential as a duo and its painful to see them get treated like this.

Mau mau

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Jack Bauer 24 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 am
How does everyone feel about the pacing? Should there have been 10 episodes? I know they say the story only called for 7, but I think it was budget reasons. Spent so much on 704 and 706 they couldn't do 10. Same thing next season. Only 6 episodes because they'll be even more expensive then these.
I like tha pacing. I think slow pace at the end would be a really bad thing. Breaking bad was also fast paced in the last season.

Mau mau

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Sam the Slayer wrote:

The leaks gave me the impression they're putting up an act. It says that Sansa condemning LF is supposed to be a twist for both the audience and in-universe.
That's what will happen. Sansa will bring the dagger Arya gave her to Bran and she will ask him to look in the past and than Bran will tell her everything.

BeardedOnion

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Mau mau wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:37 pm
Jack Bauer 24 wrote:
How does everyone feel about the pacing? Should there have been 10 episodes? I know they say the story only called for 7, but I think it was budget reasons. Spent so much on 704 and 706 they couldn't do 10. Same thing next season. Only 6 episodes because they'll be even more expensive then these.
I like tha pacing. I think slow pace at the end would be a really bad thing. Breaking bad was also fast paced in the last season.
Remember when the Neo Nazis suddenly teleported to the middle of nowhere seemingly minutes after Walt called them? Remember how everyone started to bitch an- OH WAIT there wasn't any bitching because the show had no more time for slow paced travelling and everyone respected that.

Mau mau

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Well there was a bitching about last season of Breaking Bad as well, but with GoT 80% of bitching is from book readers, so it's different.

Vocal minority will always bitch. Last season E6-8 were slow paced and people were bitching, they are bitching now. I mean whatever. Get a life.

LebronBMT

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Needle wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 am
It's possible to tell a story in 7 episodes, if it wasn't then movies wouldn't exist. But D&D are doing such a horrid job at it, it gives the illusion that the plot is moving too quickly at times.
The Winterfell plot feels entirely like unnecessary filler, which is so fucking unnerving because Sansa, Bran and Arya are all main characters we know from the very beginning. Instead of idiotic sibling rivalry, here are ideas for storylines that I can think of just from the top of my head:

- All three of them adjusting to living in Winterfell without their parents and everyone else they knew. Wouldn't you feel weird if you came back to the place you grew up in, only to realise everyone you knew was replaced? All of the known Winterfell residents are dead. Jory, Rodrik, Luwin, all of the people the Stark kids grew up with.
- Bran coping with becoming the TER, I don't know about you guys, but if my brain suddenly had access to everything that had ever happened, I would break down.
- Sansa and Arya bonding, and realising how much they had both changed.
- And if they still want to go with the 'LF trying to get rid of Arya' route, they could at least write it a lot smarter. Why would Arya turn on her sister just because of an old letter? How did Arya not see through this obvious and lazy scheme? Have LF actually dig up information on Arya, watch her in secret and figure out alone where she had been, and then use it against her. If he suddenly revealed to Sansa that Arya had trained at the HOBAW to be a Faceless Assassin, Sansa might have actually started to fear her and consider her an unpredictable threat.

The writing for this subplot is so unbelievably awful, it boggles my mind. At this point the most logical explanation is that D&D hate these three Starks for some reason and just bullshitted their plots as result.

So many people are concerned that 7 or 6 episodes is too little, but in reality they could've added so much more. For the life of me I don't understand D&D's insistence on using screentime they don't have anyway for pointless scenes that don't add anything to the plot.
The Arya/Sansa plot is fine and just a continuation of their hostilities towards each other since season 1. They are both staying within character. It seems to bug a lot of fans that when united the Starks aren't some fairytale perfect family, but rather just like any other bickering family. This is the family that bullied Jon Snow and Theon Greyjoy don't forget that. Mainly Catelyn Stark and Sansa did this, and Sansa takes after her mother the most. Sansa even messed with Old Nan, Bran, and of course Arya.
Last edited by LebronBMT on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LebronBMT

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Jack Bauer 24 wrote:
As someone just reminded me, the original cast was under contract for 6 seasons. So for the seventh they all negotiated new, better contracts that get them paid per episode. Big surprise, D&D/HBO in response have decided to produce less (but longer) episodes for seasons 7 and 8. It's the actors' fault.

LebronBMT

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm

anna1226 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am
I love, love, love this show & think this season has been great, but it does anger me that were not getting 10 full episodes this season. The producers are whining about time & costs, seriously- this is the best show on tv & they make tons off the sales afterwards. There is plenty of story line for 10 episodes. They could have added more Bran visions, he could have warged into Ghost, included some winterfell flashbacks from season 1 when the kids were young-they prolly had unused footage; more development of the Dany/Jon attraction; the Oldtown story could easily have been expanded with books/research finds, or they could have just extended a few of the existing scenes in editing.

The producers are already taking about their next stupid project when they should be 100% focused on this one for now. Alan Ball did that with True Blood, said he had to quit the show for his health, then started working on something else, like he just got tired of it. UGH.
Agree with this 100. I imagine it wears on you managing such a big show. All the attention, the controversy, the leaks, the spying fans, the criticism, the multiple locations, the hundreds of actors, directing scenes with actors against invisible cgi, trying to keep things secret but still handing out scripts/doing casting calls, directing preview trailers and making sure they're edited in a way to throw fans off, plus every little detail that is so easy to mess up like which side of the Hound's face should be scarred, Melissandre needs to always be wearing that ruby necklace to look young (but they messed this up in her bath scene). Way too much stuff for 2 people.

Sam the Slayer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 pm

BeardedOnion wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 pm
Remember when the Neo Nazis suddenly teleported to the middle of nowhere seemingly minutes after Walt called them? Remember how everyone started to bitch an- OH WAIT there wasn't any bitching because the show had no more time for slow paced travelling and everyone respected that.
To play devil's advocate here, there are a few differences between BB's world and GoT's world, the first of them being that Breaking Bad mostly takes place in Albuquerque and the surrounding desert - not on an entire continent that's supposed to be the size of South-America. Besides that, we've never seen a map of the Breaking Bad setting and therefore wouldn't know where the Neo Nazis base was exactly and how far it is from the piece of desert they went to after Walt called them, while we have seen extensive maps of Westeros and therefore know exactly where a character is and what route he's taking if he's travelling, for example, from The Eyrie to Highgarden. So, basically, GoT's world is on a much larger scale and the audience has a much better idea of the exact geography than in BB.

• Information