Stormborn

Debwa100+

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Loving it already!

Lord Parramandas

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

I loved the episode. So strong when it comes to character moments.

QueenofThrones

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Heyyyy I'm here - just saw the epi last night.

Wow, SOO Much Dany goodness. I loved it!! Freakin' Varys + Dany convo was everything and I didn't expect it at all! AHHH DANY SAYING JONS NAME AND JON SAYING DAENERYS IN THE SAME 5 MINUTE PERIOD

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY LIFE!!!

I have to assume they are going to butt heads and shit but like... yeah, duh. Jon butts heads with every strong woman he comes across, and TBH he actually loves it (see: Ygritte). Plus they each have something the other needs (Dany needs legitimate allies, Jon needs dragon glass and dragon fire) so it should work... assuming that they can agree to fight each others' wars. It seems to me taking out Cersei first is the better move but what do I know. Also it seems to me that Jon needs to recognize Dany as queen of the 7k, whatever his own status is - she is literally the only resource for what he needs. But OTOH, I don't see why she wouldn't agree to the same sort of arrangement as she came to with Yara. As she said to Tyrion, "they can ask" (for independence) and she can choose to accept or not. I think that a marraige alliance will not occur, at least not yet. They each benefit if they are seen as independent leaders, not somebody's husband/wife. Not saying they wont' get it on though. ;)

I love <3 <3 <3 that Tyrion was like MYRCELLA WAS INNOCENT to Ellaria but was not so happy that the resolution was basically "well we are allies now so suck it". Fu that, b---- should die & Tyrion should be angrier. Well, now Cersei will take care of it I suppose...! I kind of hope Jaime gets to cut her damn head off, one handed or not. She is the worst. But Cersei will probably do something horrific like Unella treatment or re-enact what Aerys did with the Starks. Maybe that will be when Jaime "realizes his mistake", when Elaria is burning to death by wildfire in front of her daughter. Maybe then... or when she then tells Euron "ok, sure you can fuck me" now. :p Jaime, jaime, jaime... once again do you believe what you are selling to Tarly (Dany's the mad king 2.0) or is the "Edmure convo" 2.0, where he's saying what he believes he has to for the greater good...?

Jon and Sansa arguing again why can't they talk to each other in private like normal adults would!? My husband reminds me that actually they are teenagers. So not very emotionally mature. I suppose that makes sense. Jon still seems to be operating by two main credos: (1) it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and (2) Everyone will see it my way because my way is right. Which, because he is right, isn't too unreasonable... but the first part doens't follow from the second.

LF saying he "loves Sansa just like [he] loved her MOTHA" part was a bit ridiculous. But maybe LF was just trying to get a rise out of Jon so he'll be PO'd when he gets back and sees LF on the high table advising Lady Sansa... Well he picked the perfect thing to say in that case... :)

Jorah Mormont. Writing a Suicide Note to his Khaleesi. My cries. Sam. And talking about Jeor! Sam being a total BADASS. Ok whoevr said this dude was a coward was an idiot. He's a baws and has been since S2 at the latest... My experience of that scene...

Me: oh, nono. He's not going to cut it off. They are not going to show that. They wouldn't. They can't. DONT.
Husband: You don't have to watch
Me: OH GOD NO DO NOT CUT THAT DO NOT PEEL THAT NO AHHAAAHHHHHHH I CANT WATCH THIS BUT I CANT LOOK AWAY AUGGHHH
Husband: lol
Me: WHAT. HE IS EATING IT?!
Husband: its pie
Me: Omg! It's THE (Hot) PIE THAT WAS PROMISED! YAaaaas!!

Battle at sea was cool. Euron was fun to watch as in last episode.I still see him as a total mid-boss though - I think he'll go down this season. But who knows? Maybe he'll betray Cersei and take the crown for himself... :) Bye sandsnakes. Freakin Yara, though. Theon moment was heartbreaking. Once Yara is gone I'll have no problem with sinking the II into the sea, so maybe it's a good thing. :p

Lord Parramandas

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Great review, QueenofThrones. If we're sharing reviews, let me share mine as well.

S07E02 - Stormborn

… silence … more silence … silence continues … if only I could remember what am I supposed to do now… some more silence… Oh wait, I think it’s already time to make a speech again.

Hello everyone and welcome to second review from Lord Parramandas! Yes, a week is around and here I am again. Yesterday, I again encountered the comment »Game of Thrones has no heart and soul« and those words ringed in my head for entire evening, on those occassions when I woke up in the middle of the night and all the way today. But after watching this episode, I can say… the show DOES HAVE heart and soul (not that I ever thought otherwise). Funny, this episode’s title is Stormborn and here, there was a storm this morning… I would think it was still night if I didn’t have alarm clock set. Coincidence or fate?

Any way, this episode was another very strong piece when it comes to the characters themselves for me. And funny, I saw it was directed by Mark Mylod, the director that was ripped apart by words on the thread when the directors got announced, like he’s the worst thing possible. Well, if he’s so bad, then it didn’t show in this episode for me. So moving to actual recap and analysis now. Where to start?

DRAGONSTONE: Let’s start with our good old Dany and her crew. Yes, Dany, I know that you’re the queen but please show some warmth. This stone-cold face expression and manner of speech is not really a recipe for like to me. But as for scenes themselves, they were great and I can sense she’s learning and slowly losing her »black-white« perspective. Varys surely made very good points and I like how she acknowledged that sometimes she must accept »criticism« than just demanding blind allegance. And then we have our red priestess Melisandre who paid the visit to her, who was also forgiven for being on Stannis side. Funny, there was so much speculation about »the prince (or princess) who was promised« – is it Jon or Dany? Well I can say for myself that I pretty much correctly predicted it… probably both because the prophecies are not taken literally. And that’s exactly what Melisandre suggested to Dany… she is most likely part of the prophecy, but the prophecy also involves Jon. Yes, here we had another stone set in piece for their meeting as Tyrion suggested Dany to arrange it. But before I wrap the Dany story, let’s go to this »other half of the prophecy«

WINTERFELL: And here we have Jon recieving the letter from both Dany and Sam to go to Dragonstone. Well, the problem is the Targaryens are no longer on good voice, especially not in the North due to what Aerys did to lord Rickard. The Targaryens were cruel, ruthless, some of them even mad… why should Jon go to this meeting? Yes, that’s the point Sansa made and this time, all the Northern lords and Vale lords supported her. But Jon made a decision… he would go there and meet her, try to form an alliance (although she demands fealty) and get the dragonstone glass for fighting the army of the dead. A daring move from Northern eyes, but it could as well prove to be correct one as long as both Dany and Jon are willing to cooperate. This could be interesting considering how stubborn they both are and according to promo, they will meet in next episode so not a long wait.

As for Winterfell, Jon left it in Sansa’s hands and it seems it was this decision that made Sansa »let him go«. No, not because I would think of her as power-hungry, but because he showed her he respects her. I think that’s what she needed… some more trust in him and some trust in her from his side. I’m somehow sad to see the siblings part their ways again, their mutual scenes are among my favorites and even though they may have those argument wars, they fill the gaps of each other and thanks to both, the Winterfell is back in Stark hands. But there is still the snake in form of Littlefinger… »touch my sister and I will kill you myself!« Littlefinger has TROUBLE! written all over the place and both Jon and Sansa are very much aware of it. And as I predicted, Sansa will have to fight this battle alone now. It’s her fight with LF, not Jon’s. And I really hope she survives through all this or at least takes LF down by the price of her own life if that’s her purpose. The wave both siblings did to each other… I really hope it’s not their last.

ARYA: Speaking of Starks, let’s go to another surviving sibling, our lady Arya whose story tide made a significant turn in this episode. The off-season speculation… will she kill Cersei. No she won’t, at least not now. She’s heading back home, to Winterfell, to reunite with Jon. One simple line from her good old friend Hot Pie was enough… Boltons are dead, Jon is king. I must say I liked how Arya behaved in the tavern. She was no longer the wild and fierce girl she used to be, she’s a young woman now, who can be cold and mature when it comes to conversations. And speaking of her good old friends, she encountered another one, the one on four legs and sharp teeth. Yes, it’s the fierce direwolf Nymeria. As for this reunion, it was bittersweet. The wolf was cold towards her and didn’t allow her to touch her. I must say it made me think of all moments from my life, when I come to a dear location where I haven’t been for years and I see how everything changed… it’s the same here. Arya has changed, and so did the wolf. Everything comes to an end once. Still, a very beautiful scene overall and I’m more warm towards Arya now as she abandoned her revenge spree.

OLDTOWN: This time it’s focused on Jorah Mormont… his greyscale has got really severe, covering most of his upper torso. Archmaester Ebrose gave him one more day to decide what he wants and it seemed to me that Jorah had a suicide in mind, judging by that sword in every scene. But when Sam heard his last name, he decided to perform a forbidden surgery on him, even if it could result in him being expelled from the Citadel or worse. Maybe Jorah still has some chance of survival…

KING’S LANDING: Just a couple words here. Cersei is aware that Dany presents a big threat to them and of course the biggest obstacle are the dragons. Everybody knows a story about Field of Fire when a combined force of the Reach and Westerlands got defeated by three dragons. But yet, dragons can be killed… one of Aegon’s dragons got killed a few years after the Conquest. With enough force, an arrow can pierce the dragon’s skull, so Qyburn created the device that would be able to shoot arrows with such force, testing it on Balerion’s skull. At the same time, Jaime convinced lord Tarly to join the forces with them. So Targaryen-Tyrell alliance is not so whole now.

DRAGONSTONE (part 2): Speaking of alliances, Dany hosted those same allies in the painted table chamber and I think this is the first and only time we see all Dany’s allies in the same place.And even this alliance is not as firm as it seems on first sight, as everyone has a different strategy how to win. But one thing is for sure, Dany and Tyrion don’t want the Conquest to result in just ashes and burned bones. So direct attack with dragons is out of bounds. Instead Tyrion devised a firm plan. The Reach and Dorne would lay siege to KL while Grey Worm and the Unsullied would capture Casterly Rock. By that way, Cersei would get defeated in no time and dragons wouldn’t be needed. And then also followed a tender scene between Missandei and Grey Worm, which evolved into lovemaking scene… the first time. I must say that Missandei is really beautiful… one of the most beautiful women if not the most beautiful woman in GoT for me. I wonder… was this the last time they saw each other? It gaves me a strange feeling.

THE SEA: And now comes the big highlight of the episode for me, the utter terror in claustrophobic environment. As I said on many occassions before, Dany’s position was just too good and it was only the matter of time before something terrible happens. And it just did in this episode. Yara, Theon and Ellaria with the Sand Snakes were on their way to Dorne to assemble an army, with entire Iron Fleet. But then, a huge shadow suddenly loomed over them, revealing to be Euron’s flagship »The Silence«. The shot of that scene was simply incredible. The way how the massive ship came into the picture from the fog, its Kraken ram smashing into Yara’s ship and Euron and his pirates boarding the ship. Yes, Euron remained without the Iron Fleet after the Kingsmoot but his new fleet was even more terrifying. If I had any doubts about Euron, he really proved himself as the »terror of the sea« in this episode, showing his full sadistic side. Yes, he’s really not a man to mess with. In this episode he easily killed Obara with her own spear, strangled Nymeria with her own whip and took Yara hostage, forcing Theon to jump from the ship. Not a battle, a massacre and a total anihilation of Iron Fleet, with Ellaria, Tyene and Yara being captured, probably as a »gift to Cersei«. Yes, Euron is very very dangerous, just as I always assumed and this episode proved exactly that. 1:0 for Cersei at this point.

So this is it, the conclusion of my review for this episode. This was such a powerful episode, so full of character moments and if the pattern continues like that, I will surely immensely enjoy the show. Even Dany and Arya have a bigger chance now for me to become invested in them. So many strong interractions in this episode, so many hidden meanings in that dialogue… GoT really deserves to be among my top shows (No.2 at the moment). So, see you next time for my video review in a couple days, PROMO CONTENT AHEAD! and also next week, when Jon and Dany apparently meet according to promo. END OF PROMO CONTENT!

With best regards from Lord Parramandas.

Side note: On my ranklist, I rated it the highest 9 so far, putting it ahead of “Second Sons” on rank 19, with “Kissed By Fire” being ahead of it.

Dee Stark

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:41 pm

QueenofThrones wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:15 pm
Heyyyy I'm here - just saw the epi last night.

Wow, SOO Much Dany goodness. I loved it!! Freakin' Varys + Dany convo was everything and I didn't expect it at all! AHHH DANY SAYING JONS NAME AND JON SAYING DAENERYS IN THE SAME 5 MINUTE PERIOD

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY LIFE!!!

I have to assume they are going to butt heads and shit but like... yeah, duh. Jon butts heads with every strong woman he comes across, and TBH he actually loves it (see: Ygritte). Plus they each have something the other needs (Dany needs legitimate allies, Jon needs dragon glass and dragon fire) so it should work... assuming that they can agree to fight each others' wars. It seems to me taking out Cersei first is the better move but what do I know. Also it seems to me that Jon needs to recognize Dany as queen of the 7k, whatever his own status is - she is literally the only resource for what he needs. But OTOH, I don't see why she wouldn't agree to the same sort of arrangement as she came to with Yara. As she said to Tyrion, "they can ask" (for independence) and she can choose to accept or not. I think that a marraige alliance will not occur, at least not yet. They each benefit if they are seen as independent leaders, not somebody's husband/wife. Not saying they wont' get it on though. ;)

I love <3 <3 <3 that Tyrion was like MYRCELLA WAS INNOCENT to Ellaria but was not so happy that the resolution was basically "well we are allies now so suck it". Fu that, b---- should die & Tyrion should be angrier. Well, now Cersei will take care of it I suppose...! I kind of hope Jaime gets to cut her damn head off, one handed or not. She is the worst. But Cersei will probably do something horrific like Unella treatment or re-enact what Aerys did with the Starks. Maybe that will be when Jaime "realizes his mistake", when Elaria is burning to death by wildfire in front of her daughter. Maybe then... or when she then tells Euron "ok, sure you can fuck me" now. :p Jaime, jaime, jaime... once again do you believe what you are selling to Tarly (Dany's the mad king 2.0) or is the "Edmure convo" 2.0, where he's saying what he believes he has to for the greater good...?

Jon and Sansa arguing again why can't they talk to each other in private like normal adults would!? My husband reminds me that actually they are teenagers. So not very emotionally mature. I suppose that makes sense. Jon still seems to be operating by two main credos: (1) it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and (2) Everyone will see it my way because my way is right. Which, because he is right, isn't too unreasonable... but the first part doens't follow from the second.

LF saying he "loves Sansa just like [he] loved her MOTHA" part was a bit ridiculous. But maybe LF was just trying to get a rise out of Jon so he'll be PO'd when he gets back and sees LF on the high table advising Lady Sansa... Well he picked the perfect thing to say in that case... :)

Jorah Mormont. Writing a Suicide Note to his Khaleesi. My cries. Sam. And talking about Jeor! Sam being a total BADASS. Ok whoevr said this dude was a coward was an idiot. He's a baws and has been since S2 at the latest... My experience of that scene...

Me: oh, nono. He's not going to cut it off. They are not going to show that. They wouldn't. They can't. DONT.
Husband: You don't have to watch
Me: OH GOD NO DO NOT CUT THAT DO NOT PEEL THAT NO AHHAAAHHHHHHH I CANT WATCH THIS BUT I CANT LOOK AWAY AUGGHHH
Husband: lol
Me: WHAT. HE IS EATING IT?!
Husband: its pie
Me: Omg! It's THE (Hot) PIE THAT WAS PROMISED! YAaaaas!!

Battle at sea was cool. Euron was fun to watch as in last episode.I still see him as a total mid-boss though - I think he'll go down this season. But who knows? Maybe he'll betray Cersei and take the crown for himself... :) Bye sandsnakes. Freakin Yara, though. Theon moment was heartbreaking. Once Yara is gone I'll have no problem with sinking the II into the sea, so maybe it's a good thing. :p
QOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been!!!

Everything you wrote is exactly how I felt and I how I think and I have the same or similar predictions. Your bit on Dany and Jon especially... we had a big debate on that in the unsullied thread. Anyway great points :)

You didn't comment about Arya.. what did you think?

QueenofThrones

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Dee Stark wrote:
QOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been!!!

Everything you wrote is exactly how I felt and I how I think and I have the same or similar predictions. Your bit on Dany and Jon especially... we had a big debate on that in the unsullied thread. Anyway great points :)

HEYYY DEE!!!

I didn't watch it until last night (I watched with a group and someone had a conflict on Sunday night... will be the same next week too AUGH).

Arya! Yes I forgot. Hehe I had a little sense of whiplash "I'm going south... no wait north I guess?!" but actually I very much appreciate that they are giving her character some room to grow and incorporate new info. If they were lazy they could have just had her go north and just have her instantly forget about her list. It's great that they showed her consciously breaking away from the vengeance path. Also I read some comment someone made that Arya was (physically) acting a lot like the hound when talking to Hot Pie - cold, gruff, etc. I mean less use of C*** and F*** but similar in body language, etc. I thouhght that was perceptive - showed where she was at mentally. Her face when she heard about Jon! I literally said "awwww!!"

Also the moment with Nymeria was sweet. A confession, I was actually a bit afraid Nymeria would kill her. This show/books has screwed up my expectations! I was like... WHAT if SHE EATS HER and the whole Arya journey is rendered pointless?! wait ... that seems like something GRRM would do actually!? Eeek! ...whew ok we're good. :)

Dee Stark

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:49 pm

QueenofThrones wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm
Dee Stark wrote:
QOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been!!!

HEYYY DEE!!!

I didn't watch it until last night (I watched with a group and someone had a conflict on Sunday night... will be the same next week too AUGH).

Arya! Yes I forgot. Hehe I had a little sense of whiplash "I'm going south... no wait north I guess?!" but actually I very much appreciate that they are giving her character some room to grow and incorporate new info. If they were lazy they could have just had her go north and just have her instantly forget about her list. It's great that they showed her consciously breaking away from the vengeance path. Also I read some comment someone made that Arya was (physically) acting a lot like the hound when talking to Hot Pie - cold, gruff, etc. I mean less use of C*** and F*** but similar in body language, etc. I thouhght that was perceptive - showed where she was at mentally. Her face when she heard about Jon! I literally said "awwww!!"

Also the moment with Nymeria was sweet. A confession, I was actually a bit afraid Nymeria would kill her. This show/books has screwed up my expectations! I was like... WHAT if SHE EATS HER and the whole Arya journey is rendered pointless?! wait ... that seems like something GRRM would do actually!? Eeek! ...whew ok we're good. :)
HIIII
omg how do you wait one whole day. That's craaaaaaay

Hahaha I love your comments... ARE YOU ME... exactly how I feeeeeel :)

Lord Parramandas

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Haha, to think about, there really are similarities between your comments... you both possess the extreme "fan vibe".

QueenofThrones

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Dee Stark wrote:

HIIII

IT IS SO HARD YOU HAVE NO IDEA

Yes I also love your comments!!! ARE you ME? This show... I just get a little excited ok??

By the way have you checked out this reviewer? She is my favorite. Very much "Fan Vibe" c/o Lord P. ;) http://heydontjudgeme.com/2017/07/23/ga ... stormborn/

Dee Stark

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 am

Haha thanks Lord P.

QueenofThrones wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:41 pm
Dee Stark wrote:

HIIII

IT IS SO HARD YOU HAVE NO IDEA

Yes I also love your comments!!! ARE you ME? This show... I just get a little excited ok??

By the way have you checked out this reviewer? She is my favorite. Very much "Fan Vibe" c/o Lord P. ;) http://heydontjudgeme.com/2017/07/23/ga ... stormborn/
Lol I feel you queenofthornes
I get a tad excited also.
And I will check it out!!!!!! thank you!!!

• Information