Howland Reed?

Grandmaester Flash

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 am

Dgskdive wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:59 pm
Grandmaester Flash wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am

Bear in mind also that, within living memory, the purpose of the Wall and the Night Watch has been to keep out the Wildlings. That situation has changed now.
The purpose of the wall was never to keep the Wildlings out. The wall was built to protect the realms of men from the White Walkers. In the past the Wildlings and the NW used to conduct trade with each other. The NW only started picking on the Wildlings after the threat of the White Walkers died off. It is never stated that their mission was to keep out Wildlings. That is what Jon figured out and one of the reasons he was so much in favor of getting them south of the wall.
Note that I said "within living memory".
Perhaps I should have made it clearer by saying "the perceived purpose of the Wall". My point stands.

Chilli

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, you're right Grandmaester Flash.

evenwind

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am

As far as I can tell, the fan theory that Lyanna had twins and that Ned and Howland each took one (Jon and Meera) is still possible. So Meera might have more than a named sword and a strong back to add to the story. Personally, I love to see it happen - just to screw with the Sullied and Unsullied alike, if for no other reason. Of course, if Jon and Meera are twins, then GRRM will problably have them sleeping together.

Wimsey

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 pm

evenwind wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am
As far as I can tell, the fan theory that Lyanna had twins and that Ned and Howland each took one (Jon and Meera) is still possible. So Meera might have more than a named sword and a strong back to add to the story. Personally, I love to see it happen - just to screw with the Sullied and Unsullied alike, if for no other reason. Of course, if Jon and Meera are twins, then GRRM will problably have them sleeping together.
There is no evidence supporting this "theory." After all, Book!Meera looks very much like Book!Jojen, and both have features typical of Crannogmen. TV shows do not have the luxury of casting siblings based on looks given how small talent pools are, so Show!Meera & Show!Jojen look neither like each other nor like the book characters. (And that also means that they did not cast Meera to look like Kit Harrington.)

At any rate, the TV show had a chance to show two children, but did not. We can pretty much put a fork in the idea.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Wimsey

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Grandmaester Flash wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 am
Note that I said "within living memory".
Perhaps I should have made it clearer by saying "the perceived purpose of the Wall". My point stands.
This gets forgotten all of the time. The Walkers had not been a threat in thousands of years: at the time of this story, opinion is divided as to whether Walkers used to exist but now are extinct, or whether the Walkers are basically fiction. All of this time, Northerners have been succoring and manning the Wall because of Wildlings. In the books, they make mention of the number of "Kings beyond the Wall" who had led invasions of Westeros. Sure, there was trade between Wildlings and Westerosi: but there was trade between England and France between wars, too.

Indeed, this goes beyond "living memory." Think of how long ago Rome was an Empire. That is beyond living memory several times over. However, you would have to go back three to four times longer in time before "living memory" includes Walkers. It is not just this generation that's manning the Wall to keep out Wildlings, or even the great-great-great grandparents of this generation who were manning the Wall to keep out Wildlings (i.e., past living memory): it's been hundreds of generations who were manning the Wall to keep out Wildlings.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

• Information