GoT Thoughts Ep2 Series 7 Stormborn

Random Westerosi

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 am

GoT Thoughts?

As way of background I am a big fan of the books and read them all pretty much back to back. So I was in two minds as to whether to get involved with the TV series. One part of me wanted to remain a purist and stick with the written version in the hope that George would buck up his ideas and get the next instalment out. However, as series 6 came and went and the build up for series 7 began, I cracked.

So after ploughing through series 6 in time for the beginning of series 7 I waited in anticipation as to what would befall the survivors after Cersei went nuclear.

Without further ado here are my thoughts and ramblings along with a vague synopsis so please be warned there are SPOILERS for those who haven't watched these episodes yet.

GoT series 7 ep 2 Stormborn

As Daenerys makes herself at home at Dragonstone she decides to scare Varys a bit just to show him who's boss, but ever the survivor, the durable eunuch talks his way out of it and lives to serve yet another monarch. I must say I feel a bit sorry for him since he seems to be quite a sincere guy, when he says he has the people's interest at heart, I almost believe him, almost.

Melisandre then drops in to pay a visit straight from the Wall. Since she is currently 0 for 1 in predicting who is going to save Westeros from the White Walkers, I guess she's on a hiding to nothing in using her 'prophetic' powers to try and draw Daenerys into the fight.

We then turn our attention to King's Landing where all is not well as the lords fret about Daenerys and her flying pets turning them all into barbecue. But luckily for Cersei and Co. it turns out that Qyburn has more than a little bit of Q in him and has devised some serious anti-dragon weaponry

Meanwhile, As Arya catches up with Hotpie over a beer she decides to put her vendetta against Cersei on hold and head to Winterfell instead. With Bran heading south from the Wall this lays the ground-work for an overdue Stark family reunion, it almost brings a tear to the eye just imagining them getting back together after all they've been through, sans Rob and Rickon obviously.

However, we knew that GoT doesn't really do warm and fuzzy, so at the same time Jon heads off to Dragonstone to try and get his hands on some Dragonglass to help him stop the zombie horde up north.

Jon leaves Sansa in charge in his absence, now, I don't know about you but I've always thought of Sansa as all form over substance, a bit snooty and the least competent of all the Starks so I dread to think what Jon will find when he gets back. Especially with Littlefinger 'helping' her, the sooner he gives Brienne an excuse to kill him the better. You can tell she is just itching to acquaint Oathkeeper with Lord Baelish in a very personal way.

On a happier note, Grey Worm and Missandei finally get it on. I'm glad for them, after all this time and the emotional tension between them it finally happens for them. Grey Worm also proves that being an Unsullied isn’t a barrier to making a woman very happy when other parts of his anatomy are fully functional. But alas, happiness lasts but fleetingly in GoT, so I have a horrible feeling that all they have just done is marked themselves for a personal visit from the Grim Reaper.

So we're all set, Tyrion's cunning plan for Dorne and Tyrell to lay siege to King’s landing, whilst at the same time sending the Unsullied and the Dothraki to take Casterley Rock sounds like a winner, what could possibly go wrong?

Pirates! That's what. Or the new Iron Fleet to be precise. I'm a bit puzzled as to how such an enormous flotilla could just sneak up on this bunch of salty sea dogs. Anyhow, we are treated to this series' first real 'engagement' and what a battle it turns out to be! Lots of swashbuckling and general death dealing ahoy!

The episode ends on quite the cliffhanger as we can't decide who has actually joined the body count. Whilst we're still thinking if Yarra and Ellaria have both met a grisly demise (probably not), I can't quite get the image of Euron as a thoroughly unhinged Captain Birdseye out of my head, aaaarrrgh!

Let's see what the next episode as family reunions seem to be the order of the day as Jon heads off to meet his aunt, the Starks converge on Winterfell, and even the Greyjoys are at it, although Theon doesn’t seem to be quite up for it.

Northern lady

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 am

Random Westerosi wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 am
GoT Thoughts?

As way of background I am a big fan of the books and read them all pretty much back to back. So I was in two minds as to whether to get involved with the TV series. One part of me wanted to remain a purist and stick with the written version in the hope that George would buck up his ideas and get the next instalment out. However, as series 6 came and went and the build up for series 7 began, I cracked.
Basically the same with me, I couldn't resist. Nice review by the way.

One thing I noticed and I keep thinking about. Jon no longer has his sword-hand scarred by the burn in the first book/season 1. When did that happen? In fact I can't remember when I last saw that scar in the TV series. Did they just forget or is it intentional?

Random Westerosi

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for the comment, let's see where the rest of the series goes from here characters are beginning to be thinned out, might not have enough to last another series, they'll just have to come back as the dead! :D

• Information