The Long Night

evenwind

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:47 pm

As we know, the Long Night was a winter (or winter night) that lasted for a generation. During that time, the White Walkers first came south.

Bran just said "When the Long Night comes again, I need to be ready". And I think the previous three-eyed raven said something similar. Since he used "when" and not "if", it sounds to me like Westeros is due for another 20 years of winter, regardless of what the good guys do. Or am I missing something?

Icewalker

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:07 pm

The Long Night in that context is about the coming of Whitewalkers. Not a winter that lasts for generation.

evenwind

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:58 pm

What you say certainly makes sense but all the references I've seen describe the "Long Night" as the one particular event in Westeros' history. And that was both the WW and the long duration, not just the WW showing up. So I'm not so sure about Bran's words. Maybe it's just dramatic but sloppy writing for TV that ignores fans who have read GRRM's histories or maybe it's part of the bittersweet ending?

Dennai

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Well, we could argue that the Long Night lasted that long because the White Walkers were unchecked and defeating them ends the phenomenon. So, in that sense, "what the good guys do" can still be relevant.

• Information