Wait, so are D&D producing the spin-offs or not?

Not Littlefinger

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 am

When I first heard news about the inevitable GoT spin-offs, I remember hearing that Benioff & Weiss would be staying on as executive producers, as mentioned in this article: http://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-develo ... -spinoffs/. Then, I read that D&D would be producing another drama for HBO called Confederate, as outlined in this article: http://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-post-t ... d-b-weiss/. Apparently, they will be waiting until after the end of Thrones to begin producing Confederate, but the way the article makes it sound, they will be stepping right off of one onto another. That leaves no time for a single GoT spin-off, let alone up to four. And, while the first article that I linked does say that there will be a time gap between Thrones and its respective spin-offs, it is doubtful that the gap will be enough to fit in an entire full-length drama series (who knows how many seasons Confederate will end up being.) HBO will want to keep the time gap short enough in order to "feed" the Thrones audience directly into the spin-offs before they loose interest. I also doubt that D&D will be juggling both at the same time, at least I certainly hope not.

In my opinion, it's time for some fresh blood in the Thrones universe. I'd like to see D&D finish the show, of course, then let them go do whatever other show they want to work on next. Then bring in some younger, newer producers for the spin-offs. People who's focus will be solely on what they are making now, not what their next project will be (just like D&D were when they started Thrones) That way, their focus will be on the story and the details that make Westeros so addicting. The spin-offs are going to need to attract the core Thrones audience in order to be successful, they can't count on the casual fans. And you're not going to be able to attract the core Thrones audience with the linear and superficial storytelling that we've seen in the last few seasons. Keep D&D around as consultants, sure. But give the executive producer job to someone who can focus on creating a grounded, nuanced story like we used to enjoy. Also, get GRRM as involved as possible too.

Let me know what you think!

evenwind

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Just for completeness here the link to GRRM's blog on the subject: http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

I'm thinking of two possible spinoffs - Game of Thrones Enterprise, which is about the Valyrians first learning to train their dragons and Game of Thrones Voyager about a shipload of Westerosi lost in the Jade Sea. I guess time will tell...

As far as new blood at the helm - Yes, please.

Not Littlefinger

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:39 pm

evenwind wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm
Just for completeness here the link to GRRM's blog on the subject: http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

I'm thinking of two possible spinoffs - Game of Thrones Enterprise, which is about the Valyrians first learning to train their dragons and Game of Thrones Voyager about a shipload of Westerosi lost in the Jade Sea. I guess time will tell...

As far as new blood at the helm - Yes, please.
Thanks for the link! I'm glad to hear that all the writers are collaborating with GRRM as well. Interesting he didn't mention anything about D&D being involved.

As far as the subject matter... I'm not really sure how long the spin-off series are going to be, and that would affect what subjects are appropriate. It would be hard to squeeze more than a few episodes out of the "Voyager" idea before it gets redundant. Valyrians training dragons, on the other hand, leaves a lot of room for political intrigue and plot diversity. You could easily get a few seasons out of that, at least. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Grandmaester Flash

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Re "executive producers". I don't think this means they would be the main, hands-on producers.
If you look at the credits for Game Of Thrones episodes, there are around 20 people named as producers in various capacities. D&D aren't the only "executive producers".

Mau mau

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:26 am

They won't be even executive producers. That was confirmed lately.

• Information