Gendry theory

Dornish Gourmand

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:33 am

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am
It was a wedding gift for his grandson, the King, and also a huge trophy of defeat over the Starks. I can see every reason why Tywin would bear any expense to do it. The only way people would continue to respect the Lannisters with their depleted gold mines is if people still BELIEVED they were rich. Tywin didn't approve of the lavishness of Robert, no doubt, but he still knew the importance of appearing powerful.
Tywin would obviously spare the expense to bring a Valyrian steel master-smith if he actually had Valyrian steel for that smith to work with, but he didn't get Ice or have any clue that he would get Ice until well after we've met Mott in King's Landing.
Hmm Love your tone by the way, keep it up.

From the books, I was under the impression that Tywin brought an outside blacksmith (from Essos) specifically to re-forge Ice. I wasn't presupposing that there was another Blacksmith already with that skill in Kings Landing. So my apologies if it wasn't relevant...

Tensor the Mage

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 am

Azor Ahai got his sword by skewering his girlfriend: neither dragonglass nor obsidian are part of the story. The "missing ingredient" for Valyrian steel has been in the old stories all the while: it's human sacrifice.

Not necessarily; it could be her blood that did it, and we've already seen a Red Priestess use blood as part of a magical ritual, one which may have succeeded. (Whose blood, again?)

That priestess believed the royal blood came from a bastard, not a true born royal. However, early in Season One, Cersei tells Catelyn she herself lost a first-born son (!), and Gendry's only memory of his mother was that she had long golden hair (!!). If Gendry was secretly Robert's true born royal son, would that not make his blood all the more powerful? Finally, if his true blood was also Targaryan blood, then might he be able to use his own blood to forge new Valyrian steel weapons?

Might this explain why Jon Arryn, who was not known to be either a frivolous man or a great warrior, was poking around the Street of Steel, looking for Gendry? We now know that, contra to the misdirection we get from the Lannister twins at Jon Arryn's corpse-side, he wasn't killed by them because he knew of their incest.

Might this also explain why Qyburn killed Grand Maester Pycelle? Qyburn's speech to Pycelle, immediately before the latter's murder, implies Qyburn didn't think Pycelle's death was deserved, but the old must die before the new can succeed. If Pycelle (who would have attended at Gendry's birth, and kept the records of it) helped facilitate and then cover up Cersei's disposal of Gendry from the royal household, then Cersei would want Pycelle dead so her newest son, Tommen, would have no rival in her oldest son, Gendry.

QueenofThrones

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Wimsey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm
They need a blacksmith at DS to make dragonglass weapons at the source. Davos remembered him as a good one, so he decided to look for him. Azor Ahai got his sword by skewering his girlfriend: neither dragonglass nor obsidian are part of the story. The "missing ingredient" for Valyrian steel has been in the old stories all the while: it's human sacrifice.
Can I take this to mean you are saying ALL Valyrian steel swords involved human sacrifice, in their forging -
not only Lightbringer?

That's an interesting idea, but VS swords in general are described quite differently than Lightbringer. After the sword is forged, it glows, or is on fire. VS is not described this way - instead it is described as regular steel with shimmering ripples of rainbow colors.

Dornish Gourmand

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:23 am

QueenofThrones wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm
Wimsey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm
They need a blacksmith at DS to make dragonglass weapons at the source. Davos remembered him as a good one, so he decided to look for him. Azor Ahai got his sword by skewering his girlfriend: neither dragonglass nor obsidian are part of the story. The "missing ingredient" for Valyrian steel has been in the old stories all the while: it's human sacrifice.
Can I take this to mean you are saying ALL Valyrian steel swords involved human sacrifice, in their forging -
not only Lightbringer?

That's an interesting idea, but VS swords in general are described quite differently than Lightbringer. After the sword is forged, it glows, or is on fire. VS is not described this way - instead it is described as regular steel with shimmering ripples of rainbow colors.
Right. I also understood VS and Lightbringer to be completely different. LB requiring human sacrifice; VS being imbued with the magic of Old Valryia and forged with dragon fire.

• Information