King Snow

Ginevra

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I was musing about how odd it was that royalty are - even formally - addressed by their titles and their first names whereas most everyone else formally addressed would be by title and last name. That then reminded me of Davos in "Spoils of War" correcting Missandei's "Lord Snow" with:
King Snow, isn't it? No, that doesn't sound right. King Jon?
And then "King Snow" jogged another memory - an ADHD morning, I see - that I don't believe anyone brought up yet, and that is of Mormont's raven saying "King Snow" after his prophetic "Lord Snow" had come true. I wonder if Davos's mistake was a callback to that!
He rose and dressed in darkness, as Mormont’s raven muttered across the room. “Corn,” the bird said, and, “King,” and, “Snow, Jon Snow, Jon Snow.” That was queer. The bird had never said his full name before, as best Jon could recall.

Martin, George R. R.. A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (p. 770). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
So Bloodraven? Bran? Just a really smart and helpful bird?

K-wilding

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Royalty use their first name to distinguish since they come from the same family. There would be many King Targariyan and many King Barratheons.

evenwind

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Wouldn't he be "King Jaehaerys III Targaryen" (at least according to the lip readers of the Tower of Joy scene)?

Ginevra

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes, it certainly could be King Jaehaerys. And you know what? I wonder if the maester that Gilly was reading from went on to document the birth of Jaehaerys, since he documented the annulment and the wedding! Right?

And yet, I love the irony of "King Snow." King Snow, the Bastard King.

• Information