What is Sansa's intention when sending Brienne ?

Lyannabanna

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:08 am

I'm convinced that Sansa faked the letter inviting her to KL as an excuse to send Brienne away (didn't she burn it?). Why? I dunno… So much of the sister-vs-sister thread confounds effective storytelling. I still believe that they were playing LF all along, and their reconciliation afterwards was satisfying enough.

Sansa eye-witnessed two murders committed or ordered by LF: Dontos Hollard and Lysa Arryn. When she questioned him at sea between KL and The Eyrie, LF confessed his complicity in Joffrey's death. If she could win the support of Robin/Yohn Royce, this info alone would be adequate to convict LF. If not, to make her fear that LF may "need" to kill her (maybe he professed his love for her to Jon as an ace-in-the-hole alibi).

Possible spoiler about an interview with Isaac Hempstead-Wright, the actor who plays Bran:

[SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW]He spilled a deleted scene about Sansa asking Bran for help soon before the LF execution triumph. He did not seem to conclude that she truly suspected Arya of intending to kill her. The help she asked for may very well have been evidence supporting the counts of treason that she recited when accusing LF.[/SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW]

If the invitation had been real, Cercei would have made a stink about Sansa's absence during the dragon pit drama. Notice also that no other houses were represented—only a few minor ones south of The Neck are left! It was strictly a three-way summit among the same monarchs we saw in the "long walk" teaser.

BTW speaking of that teaser, I LUVed the final image of Cercei seated on the IT, where it was cold enough to see her breath. I was disappointed when it didn't happen!

QueenofThrones

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Lyannabanna wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:08 am
I'm convinced that Sansa faked the letter inviting her to KL as an excuse to send Brienne away (didn't she burn it?). Why? I dunno… So much of the sister-vs-sister thread confounds effective storytelling. I still believe that they were playing LF all along, and their reconciliation afterwards was satisfying enough.
But we see Sansa getting the letter from the Maester and saying (surprised) "This is from Cersei"! So a letter was received via raven. I suppose it could have been just some random letter and Sansa also was trying to fake out the Maester but that seems overly complicated. It would have been very easy to demonstrate it was a fake letter if that's what they wanted us to think.
If the invitation had been real, Cercei would have made a stink about Sansa's absence during the dragon pit drama. Notice also that no other houses were represented—only a few minor ones south of The Neck are left! It was strictly a three-way summit among the same monarchs we saw in the "long walk" teaser.
This is a good point though. What was Cersei's intention in inviting Sansa? At the time I assumed that Cersei had some treachery planned and was going to try to assassinate Sansa (and this is one reason why Sansa sent Brienne in her place). However based on the events in the finale that isn't the case. Her plan was to trick them into thinking she was and ally and then stab them later, and Sansa doesn't need to be there for that. Maybe Cersei thought if she could better manipulate Sansa in person, as she's successfully done in the past.

I do think that Cersei was doing a lot of acting in that first encounter. If it was real, she should have been a lot more pissed off by Euron's treachery ("no one walks away from me") than she was. Even if she was actually annoyed, making a fuss about Sansa might have been counterproductive to the longer game she was playing. It also would have given Brienne the opportunity to speak on her behalf, which Cersei had no interest in allowing to happen.

• Information