GoT General Discussion Guidelines

a girl has no name

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 am

Sue this looks great! Now if only work didn't get in the way of my GOT time...Love the new spoiler button and edit bar!

By the way, I'm a fan of both the books and the show and think D&D have done a great job (minus a few blurps in seasons 5&6.)
Also for the record, I don't understand all of the Dany/Jon/Sansa hate that goes down here. (I personally like all three, although it took me a while to warm up to Sansa in the books.)

Yes, this, a thousand times. I have my favs but I don't have the energy to hate fictional fantasy characters that much I can dislike the choices that the writers put out for the characters, but its a story. It aint real

BTW how do I get an avatar?

Ginevra

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 am

My avatar is through gravatar, https://en.gravatar.com/, but Dee implied she did hers another way. Perhaps she'll chime in and share how.

Speaking of techy stuff, I'm embarrassed how long it took me to realize the amazing helpfulness of the notification bell at the top! You go immediately to that particular unread post on subscribed threads when you click on it! Duh, you may say, but it did take me an entire day to notice that.

QueenofThrones

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 am

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 am
My avatar is through gravatar, https://en.gravatar.com/, but Dee implied she did hers another way. Perhaps she'll chime in and share how.

Speaking of techy stuff, I'm embarrassed how long it took me to realize the amazing helpfulness of the notification bell at the top! You go immediately to that particular unread post on subscribed threads when you click on it! Duh, you may say, but it did take me an entire day to notice that.
Lol, from that screengrab apparently I post too much... :oops:

Ginevra

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am

QueenofThrones wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 am
Lol, from that screengrab apparently I post too much... :oops:
I enjoyed every one of them.

Dee Stark

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 pm

a girl has no name wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 am
Sue this looks great! Now if only work didn't get in the way of my GOT time...Love the new spoiler button and edit bar!

By the way, I'm a fan of both the books and the show and think D&D have done a great job (minus a few blurps in seasons 5&6.)
Also for the record, I don't understand all of the Dany/Jon/Sansa hate that goes down here. (I personally like all three, although it took me a while to warm up to Sansa in the books.)

Yes, this, a thousand times. I have my favs but I don't have the energy to hate fictional fantasy characters that much I can dislike the choices that the writers put out for the characters, but its a story. It aint real

BTW how do I get an avatar?

When you go into user control panel, then click the tab that says profile, then edit avatar, you have the option under avatar type to use your gravatar or select the option UPLOAD AVATAR.... that's how I did mine :) I added a picture of my sister and I :) Shes a huge GOT fan like me, and we discuss the show daily.

arabian

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm

I have a question about the avatars.

How come some are closer to the right of the comment box and others are farther away. Like mine and Ginevra's are farther away while Flayed Potates and QueenofThrones are closer to the right.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

Dornish Gourmand

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Dee Stark wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:18 am
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:01 am
Hi everyone!

I've been reading news and comments here almost daily for the past three years but have never posted because (1) I couldn't think of a screen name and (2) I can't post from work.

That said, I look forward to taking part in some of the discussions here. (And it feels really weird knowing a lot of you when you don't know me... I guess that's a somewhat unavoidable voyeuristic aspect of the internet though.)

Welcome :)
I like your comment :)
Thanks. I'm just trying to get the hang of this forum's layout so please forgive me if quotes, etc. are awkwardly formatted for a time. I'll be especially careful about spoilers though and always use spoiler code should I divulge (although now that we've passed the books I'm trying to keep my knowledge of them at a minimum as well).

Dornish Gourmand

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm

The Wolves of Winter wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 am
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:01 am
Hi everyone!

I've been reading news and comments here almost daily for the past three years but have never posted because (1) I couldn't think of a screen name and (2) I can't post from work.

That said, I look forward to taking part in some of the discussions here. (And it feels really weird knowing a lot of you when you don't know me... I guess that's a somewhat unavoidable voyeuristic aspect of the internet though.)

Welcome!

I don't understand the hate either and why some are always putting characters against each other. I personally like all the characters because they are so diverse in their personalities, wants, dreams and desires. Though I do have Bran as my peronal favorite, but I don't feel the need to compare him to others.
Totally. I love Bran'a story, too, and think the last few chapters from Dance of his are some of Martin's most symbolic. I love how the writing goes to just simple observations of the moon to illustrate the passing of time, etc. I can't wait to see where his story is heading.

I get why people get on Jon/Dany about being prototypical heroes in a story that's all about subverting fantasy tropes, but you know, I like fantasy so I like those characters. I also love all the complex, morally gray characters, too. But provided there is some depth I don't think I'll ever completely tire of the "hero's journey" concept, and Jon and Dany's arcs parallel so well.

Ginevra

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Thanks. I'm just trying to get the hang of this forum's layout so please forgive me if quotes, etc. are awkwardly formatted for a time. I'll be especially careful about spoilers though and always use spoiler code should I divulge (although now that we've passed the books I'm trying to keep my knowledge of them at a minimum as well).
There is an Unsullied forum for those who are not sullied by the books. My impression of this forum is that it is primarily for those already sullied by the books and for those who do not care about seeing book stuff but who have not been (nor want to be) sullied by unofficial (non-HBO-released) leaks from episodes yet to be aired. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dornish Gourmand

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 am

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
There is an Unsullied forum for those who are not sullied by the books. My impression of this forum is that it is primarily for those already sullied by the books and for those who do not care about seeing book stuff but who have not been (nor want to be) sullied by unofficial (non-HBO-released) leaks from episodes yet to be aired. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to (i.e. unofficial non-HBO-released leaks).
But I wouldn't be able to correct you even if you were wrong, as I stated, I'm new to actually posting, and just trying to get the hang of it.

• Information