So what do you do with a boatload of obsidian?

evenwind

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Make weapons, right? Thing is, Real World obsidian is pretty brittle and takes skill to work. So in GoT, you could take a batch, melt it down and pour it into arrowhead molds or maybe short daggers. That would work. Something as long as a sword should be too fragile to be effective, tho. Again, in the Real World, the closest somebody came to a obsidian sword is the macuahuitl - which looks like a cricket bat with pieces of obsidian glued to the edges. It was actually quite an effective weapon but I'm really doubting we'll see anybody in Westeros wielding one. I suspect that one of two things will happen: The writers will ignore the real world properties of obsidian, paint everybody's sword black, and let the viewers who care bitch about it. Or, the obsidian will be somehow combined with steel (Valyrian steel, anybody?) and all the existing prop swords will now be Valyrian Wight Killers.

Yeah, I know, I'm pre-bitching but I'm trying to keep my mind busy in order to ignore the huge problems in episode 6.

Anyhow, thoughts?

Not Littlefinger

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 pm

evenwind wrote:
Make weapons, right? Thing is, Real World obsidian is pretty brittle and takes skill to work. So in GoT, you could take a batch, melt it down and pour it into arrowhead molds or maybe short daggers. That would work. Something as long as a sword should be too fragile to be effective, tho. Again, in the Real World, the closest somebody came to a obsidian sword is the macuahuitl - which looks like a cricket bat with pieces of obsidian glued to the edges. It was actually quite an effective weapon but I'm really doubting we'll see anybody in Westeros wielding one. I suspect that one of two things will happen: The writers will ignore the real world properties of obsidian, paint everybody's sword black, and let the viewers who care bitch about it. Or, the obsidian will be somehow combined with steel (Valyrian steel, anybody?) and all the existing prop swords will now be Valyrian Wight Killers.

Yeah, I know, I'm pre-bitching but I'm trying to keep my mind busy in order to ignore the huge problems in episode 6.

Anyhow, thoughts?
Thinking about hypothetical problems to keep your mind off the real ones. I like it!

I don't know anything about obsidian until I read this post, so I wouldn't have known any better. Now it's gonna bother me...

Dgskdive

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:42 pm

evenwind wrote:

Anyhow, thoughts?

I saw someone else mention this, but I think we will find out that Dragon Glass is used to make Valyrian Steel swords and Gendry will be the one to figure it out. SO a boat load of it will make a lot of swords to help in the fight.

Dornish Gourmand

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 am

I had a random thought the other day that maybe Sam will discover how to make explosives. I guess they already have something similar in Wildfire, but how effective would a Dragonglass explosive be?
I realize it's probably too late in the narrative to introduce something like that, but flying over a group of White Walkers/Wights and dropping a bomb that sent shards of Dragonglass (ala shrapnel) flying in all directions would be seemingly effective. Of course it's also kind of cheesy so nevermind.

• Information