Anyone else who should have died North of the Wall?

LadyGoodman

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Much is being made that GoT no longer feels like the show "where no character is safe." I certainly expected the death count to be higher during last episode's suicide mission. I think D&D missed the mark with the miraculous save of the falling Jorah. His death would've had much more impact on the viewers than Thoros and one of the spare dragons. It also would've set up some angst with Dany since Tyrion and Jon's heroic Hail Mary also cost her oldest advisor.'s life.

His touching reunion scene with Dany was the last one I can imagine for him that drives the plot at all. He's interacted with those who held his father in high-esteem and been forgiven by those he wronged. He affirmed Longclaw is rightfully Jon's and has no other special talents or weaponry that will help in the Great War. His only real tie to the canvas is Dany and it's clear that Jon is her new main ally and more.

Jorah's character arc seemed to be at its natural end. IMHO.
...He's my king, from this day until his last day.

trarecar

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I think they made a mistake with the whights coming up and grabbing Tormund's legs. I mean, can they swim or not? :lol:

I think Jorah will die for Dany by taking an arrow or sword for her. Too early for him to die.

I guess Beric is still important, since he's still around.

Gendry's gotta be a the blacksmith for all the dragonglass weapons.

The Hound has to fight his brother.

Tormund's got to talk Brienne into getting over Jamie. ;)

onefromaway

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Maybe they are saving the deaths for whatever is going to happen in the Dragon Pit? Cersei's "perma-smirk" (thank you Pigeon for that phrase) just bodes ill.

I hope Jorah gets to meet Lyanna Mormont. But there is only so much time left and I doubt that will happen.

QueenofThrones

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 am

LadyGoodman wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm
Much is being made that GoT no longer feels like the show "where no character is safe." I certainly expected the death count to be higher during last episode's suicide mission. I think D&D missed the mark with the miraculous save of the falling Jorah. His death would've had much more impact on the viewers than Thoros and one of the spare dragons. It also would've set up some angst with Dany since Tyrion and Jon's heroic Hail Mary also cost her oldest advisor.'s life.

His touching reunion scene with Dany was the last one I can imagine for him that drives the plot at all. He's interacted with those who held his father in high-esteem and been forgiven by those he wronged. He affirmed Longclaw is rightfully Jon's and has no other special talents or weaponry that will help in the Great War. His only real tie to the canvas is Dany and it's clear that Jon is her new main ally and more.

Jorah's character arc seemed to be at its natural end. IMHO.
I agree with some of this, certainly I expected Jorah to die going in. however I think that the loss of Jorah at this time - who is the human character closest to Dany - would have overshadowed the loss of her "child" Viserion. Simply speaking, it would have been too much for her to bear all at once and it would have been hard for me to believe that she could have turned to Jon over Jorahs death like she did with Viserions. Given Dany is aware Jorah is in love with her and she reciprocates only platonically... to turn to Jon who she is falling for for comfort would I think have felt somewhat like a betrayal to her. and Jon / Dany need to happen for reasons related to the plot.

I think Tormund dying would have been effective. Honestly he serves little plot purpose. While adorable, we and the writers all know his unreciprocated crush on Brienne is going nowhere. It would have given Jon some personal stake in what happened rather than just feeling guilty about what Dany lost. Each of them loses someone dear to them I think would have solidified their bond.

• Information