Did Lyanna know?

winterfruit23

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site so I'm very sorry if my questions have already been answered or are really obvious and I've missed something.
I wanted to know, did Lyanna know that Rhaegar was dead? Was she aware of the events of Robert's Rebellion?
I assumed she knew for the following reason:
When she asked Ned to promise her, was she only asking him to care for her child? Or asking him to keep his identity a secret as well? I presume the latter. Which makes me wonder, why would she want his identity to be kept a secret if she assumes the father is still alive? Surely she must think him dead.
Secondly, if she knew Rhaegar was dead, (and I hope I'm right in thinking that he had been away from her for some time), did they choose the name Aegon together? Or did she name the baby Aegon as a sort of tribute to the man she loves, who she now knows is dead? That might be one reason as to why Rhaegar had two children both with the same name.
Am I right in thinking that Ned had said that she wanted to be buried in the crypt along with her brother and father? In which case, she was aware of their deaths, so maybe she was aware of Rhaegar's death as well.
If I'm terribly wrong, please let me know and put me straight!
Thanks guys :)

Meg22

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 pm

You can only go by what information is provided on the show.

Arthur Dayne knew that Rhaegar was dead. A safe assumption is that Lyanna did too. She doesn't tell Ned to take her son to Rhaegar but to protect him from Robert. This suggests that Lyanna not only knows that Rhaegar is dead, but she knows that the war has been lost too.

There's nothing to indicate that Lyanna and Rhaegar had discussed the name the baby was to have. We also don't know the name of the son by Elia Martel on the show since, as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned. In the books, this son is called Aegon and he's still alive. He was spirited away by Varys, and he would be the true heir to the Iron Throne (not Jon) since he is the elder. In the books, Targaryens are allowed two spouses, so in order to marry Lyanna, Rhaegar had no reason to dissolve his marriage to Elia.

However, this character isn't in the show. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) in the books, Jon's Targaryen name hasn't been revealed yet.

This idea that both sons are named Aegon seems to me to be the result of people taking the name of Rhaegar's son by Elia in the books and juxtaposing it with Jon's Targaryen name in the show. But the fact is that we don't yet know what Jon's Targaryen name is in the books, and the name of Rhaegar's son by Elia hasn't been revealed in the show. Jon and Aegon are possibly composites in the show. We get Jon's character and story line and Aegon's name.

Dgskdive

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:23 am

A good amount of time passed from the end of the Rebellion and Ned getting to the Tower to rescue Lyanna. She was well aware that Rhaegar was dead and Robert was king. Arthur knew he was gone as well, as Ned (?) said he missed him at the Trident which is where Robert killed Rhaegar.

Grandmaester Flash

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 am

Meg22 wrote:
In the books, this son is called Aegon and he's still alive.
You don't believe that, do you? ;)

Meg22

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:58 am

Grandmaester Flash wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 am
Meg22 wrote:
In the books, this son is called Aegon and he's still alive.
You don't believe that, do you? ;)
I don't know. Whether he's the genuine article or not is still to be determined. But as far as the books are concerned there's a claimant called Aegon (alias Young Griff) who's been told he's the son of Rhaegar and Elia. Tyrion seems to believe him.

Grandmaester Flash

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:18 am

I didn't believe it from the start. He's been introduced far too late in the story. GRRM needed to hang that gun much earlier if it was genuine.

• Information