Theories, Wild Theories, & General Lunacy

Ginevra

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 am

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 am
Jorah had that taboo against it when Viserys tried to spill blood in season 1. It's inconsistent storytelling and bending the established worldbuilding rules to get an omg yaaas queen moment. Dothraki hate magic and now they're all suddenly ok with it. Convenient.
That's a good point, Potato. Perhaps they aren't as in awe as we think or are only temporarily in awe.

QueenofThrones

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
QueenofThrones wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am
Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Also she had Jorah and Daario spill blood in a sacred Dothraki city (where it's established that spilling blood is a great offence and cultural no-no).

But it's so badass hurr durr :roll:
Well, Dario and Jorah aren't Dothraki so they don't have any taboo against it (except in that they don't themselves want to be killed). I think her order was to block the gates. And she's planning to kill all of the Khals and completely overturn their society in any case. That is, she is already violently overthrowing an unjust society - that's the whole point. Violation of cultural norms isn't exactly the top concern here.
Jorah had that taboo against it when Viserys tried to spill blood in season 1. It's inconsistent storytelling and bending the established worldbuilding rules to get an omg yaaas queen moment. Dothraki hate magic and now they're all suddenly ok with it. Convenient.
No Jorah certainly did not have a taboo against it. He said to Viserys "Put it away They'll kill us all".

Jorah personally didn't give a F. He doesn't follow their religion. But he is a practical man and doesn't want to be murdered. Whereas Viserys is an idiot.

AaronB4TheNorth

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 am

QueenofThrones wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am
Flayed Potatoes wrote:
QueenofThrones wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

Well, Dario and Jorah aren't Dothraki so they don't have any taboo against it (except in that they don't themselves want to be killed). I think her order was to block the gates. And she's planning to kill all of the Khals and completely overturn their society in any case. That is, she is already violently overthrowing an unjust society - that's the whole point. Violation of cultural norms isn't exactly the top concern here.
No Jorah certainly did not have a taboo against it. He said to Viserys "Put it away They'll kill us all".

Jorah personally didn't give a F. He doesn't follow their religion. But he is a practical man and doesn't want to be murdered. Whereas Viserys is an idiot.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue wasn't spilling blood, it was the nature of doing it. Meaning, no steel allowed, but a good beating was perfectly ok:) Now of course I may be miscalling that, but that's what is sticking in my head for some reason.

Joel Needs a Car

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Melisandre: There is only one hell... the one we live in now.
So what if this is not a real physical world, and all the people in it are just souls in purgatory trapped there? In Westeros the "Long Night" is the manifestation of a great "Day of Reckoning" whereby all the worthy souls (those who fight against the Others) are gathered into heaven and the unworthy into hell.

I'll get my coat...
AKA: Ser Not Appearing in this Series

Raeslewolhn

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Joel Needs a Car wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:41 pm
Melisandre: There is only one hell... the one we live in now.
So what if this is not a real physical world, and all the people in it are just souls in purgatory trapped there? In Westeros the "Long Night" is the manifestation of a great "Day of Reckoning" whereby all the worthy souls (those who fight against the Others) are gathered into heaven and the unworthy into hell.

I'll get my coat...
I see where you're coming from. I think it's possible that Westeros is a more hellish plane of existence than the others attached to this universe in GoT and ASOIAF. But, I don't think the overall message is anywhere near Christian, which is what you're talking about, really. GRRM is agnostic and DnD aren't trying to send that message. It's too close to Christianity.

Also, I'm of the school that doesn't think there's any actual God in the ASOIAF universe. There's magic, religion, but no gods. GRRM has said as much, I'll have to find it. Let me know if you need the quote.

Joel Needs a Car

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am

It doesn't have to be Christian heaven/hell, it could just as well be Hindu or Buddhist rebirth; Hinduism even works better as it is polytheistic - but I'm just putting it as an "out there" idea in the spirit of "general lunacy"!.
AKA: Ser Not Appearing in this Series

Raeslewolhn

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm

Joel Needs a Car wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am
It doesn't have to be Christian heaven/hell, it could just as well be Hindu or Buddhist rebirth; Hinduism even works better as it is polytheistic - but I'm just putting it as an "out there" idea in the spirit of "general lunacy"!.
:D I feel you. I say this bc the Reckoning part is a Christian thing. In Hindu and Buddhist metaphysics it just goes on forever. In Judaism, no hell. In Islam, God will bring peace one day.

• Information