Theories, Wild Theories, & General Lunacy

Ginevra

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Ice Dragon wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 pm
Ginevra- it was great catching up with you as well. My sister is def coming down and she said no to going bc she is bringing her son and husband.... ;( UGH
I'm sorry that we won't see each other! The girls and I are thinking of doing a small trip, and North Carolina was tossed around as an idea. If that does happen, I'll let you know! It would probably be the last week of July and/or first week of August, if so.

Not Littlefinger

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:51 pm
So, please don't throw eggs, especially dragon eggs, but I think that Dany and Tyrion might be villains. Villains we are meant to love, yes, but villains nonetheless. And so maybe anti-villains would be a better term.

(I really hope Dragonbringer doesn't see this because he already hates me. I don't mean any of my ideas to be taken personally, and all are very free to disagree with me, though I hope you won't attack me personally or anyone else for a difference of opinion.)

Dany and Tyrion are bringing hundreds of thousands of the most dangerous peoples Westeros has ever seen straight to this land. Dany has made them all bloodriders, which in some khalasars entitles them to everything the khal has. "Mi casa es su casa." My Seven Kingdoms is your Seven Kingdoms. Rapists. Murderers. Theives. Plunderers. Slavers. How ever will she keep them all in line?
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! Tyron and Dany have been portrayed as objectively "good" in a series that's famous for it's "gray" characters for so long that it's starting to get suspicious. I'm recalling her scene when she takes the masters of Meereen down to the dungeons where her dragons are, allowing one to eat a random master while, at her own admission, she doesn't know if he's guilty or not. This could be foreshadowing of her tendencies to come, similar to her father.

Grandmaester Flash

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 am

Not Littlefinger wrote:
the dungeons where her dragons are
Confining the dragons to dungeons was a needlessly cruel act. I can't see why she couldn't have had an open-air dragon pit constructed, like her ancestors had in Kings Landing.

Flayed Potatoes

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am

Grandmaester Flash wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 am
Not Littlefinger wrote:
the dungeons where her dragons are
Confining the dragons to dungeons was a needlessly cruel act. I can't see why she couldn't have had an open-air dragon pit constructed, like her ancestors had in Kings Landing.
Because she's terrible at planning long term.

Grandmaester Flash

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Thinking about it some more, she could have kept them in the main fighting pit. That wasn't being used for quite a while, was it? :twisted:

evenwind

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Dany also deliberately violated the rules of parley by killing the two Masters during the battle of Slaver’s Bay. Nowhere as bad as the Frey’s total disregard of the North’s ironclad rule on Guest Right in the Red Wedding, but not the work of any kind of hero either.

Flayed Potatoes

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm

evenwind wrote:
Dany also deliberately violated the rules of parley by killing the two Masters during the battle of Slaver’s Bay. Nowhere as bad as the Frey’s total disregard of the North’s ironclad rule on Guest Right in the Red Wedding, but not the work of any kind of hero either.
Also she had Jorah and Daario spill blood in a sacred Dothraki city (where it's established that spilling blood is a great offence and cultural no-no).

But it's so badass hurr durr :roll:

Not Littlefinger

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 pm

evenwind wrote:
The Red Wedding didn't happen in the North, but guest rite is a very strong rule in all of Westeros, not just the North.

QueenofThrones

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
evenwind wrote:
Also she had Jorah and Daario spill blood in a sacred Dothraki city (where it's established that spilling blood is a great offence and cultural no-no).

Well, Dario and Jorah aren't Dothraki so they don't have any taboo against it (except in that they don't themselves want to be killed). I think her order was to block the gates. And she's planning to kill all of the Khals and completely overturn their society in any case. That is, she is already violently overthrowing an unjust society - that's the whole point. Violation of cultural norms isn't exactly the top concern here.

Flayed Potatoes

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 am

QueenofThrones wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am
Flayed Potatoes wrote:
evenwind wrote:

Well, Dario and Jorah aren't Dothraki so they don't have any taboo against it (except in that they don't themselves want to be killed). I think her order was to block the gates. And she's planning to kill all of the Khals and completely overturn their society in any case. That is, she is already violently overthrowing an unjust society - that's the whole point. Violation of cultural norms isn't exactly the top concern here.
Jorah had that taboo against it when Viserys tried to spill blood in season 1. It's inconsistent storytelling and bending the established worldbuilding rules to get an omg yaaas queen moment. Dothraki hate magic and now they're all suddenly ok with it. Convenient.

• Information