So what is the future for Jonerys?

Post Reply
Violator
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 pm

I've been giving this relationship and the challenge created by the revelation that the two are nephew and aunt some thought. Specifically, before seeing any spoilers for S8, I wanted to think how the relationship could play out and it seems to me that there are only a few broad possibilities and some are more likely than others.

(1) Jon and Dany find out they're related, but aren't that disturbed really and carry on almost as if nothing is amiss, completely subverting audience expectations. Now, this might coincide with a surprising acceptance on the part of others, or hostility from others.

(2) Jon and Dany find out they're related and this leads to some sort of emotional estrangement which is permanent throughout season 8. The two characters never resurrect their romance, no marriage happens and if a child is born, it is born with the two parents separated physically and with the possibility of at least one parent dying anyway in the end without the romance being rekindled.

(3) Jon and Dany find out they're related and this leads to some sort of temporary separation in season 8 where at least one of the two breaks off the romance and perhaps distances themselves emotionally and/ or geographically from the other. However, at some point later in the season, they finally come to terms with their feelings for the other and return to confirm their love which they cannot deny it no matter how much they try. After this, the relationship could become 'official' through marriage or it could be very temporary before one of the two tragically dies (the death may be what causes the other to come back anyway, or the knowledge of a pregnancy).

(4) Jon and Dany find out they're related and this leads to a permanent end to their romance, but politics and the prospect of a child means that their relationship is made official out of a sense of responsibility. This is like (3) in many ways but Jon and Dany never emotionally 'recover' from the revelation that they're related and simply decide to 'make it work' for the good of the kingdom resulting in a political marriage.

(5) Jon and Dany never find out they're related, either because those who know they are end up deciding not to reveal it because the truth would do more harm than good, or because fate transpires that those who know are killed and so the truth 'dies' with them.

(6) Jon and Dany find out they're related and either are okay with this immediately or, as in (3), they struggle with it for some time before continuing their romance, except no one but them, Bran and Sam know and everyone decides (or again, fate transpires) that the truth will not become public.

So there you go. Now, out of (1) to (6), what would be your preference and why? Also, which of these do you think is the most likely and the least likely (most likely doesn't have to be what you'd prefer after all).

Stormborn
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm

What excellent questions for a long night!

Any permutation where Jon and Dany don't know or it's kept secret, isn't gonna happen. So that rules out 5 & 6. It would be against character for Jon to deceive others by keeping it a secret and it's too big a storyline to downplay. There has to be big drama otherwise there wasn't much point to it.

No. 1 is another least likely again because there's no mileage in downplaying it.

That leaves.......2,3 & 4 all of which seem more likely. My preference is for No.3 as it has all the requisite highs and lows of good drama. The final cut might be a combination of 2 & 4. i.e. no romance, political alliance for the child's sake but one of them (Jon/Aegon) dies. Knowingly choosing forbidden love seems out of character for both of them.
Last edited by Stormborn on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Violator
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm

My preference is for 5 because it's the only way for both of them to end up together permanently in a way that would be believable to an audience. It would also be quite subversive and Martinesque.

The most probable outcome is 3, but with one of the two dying shortly afterwards.

I would absolutely hate 2 and 4.

Stormborn
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Violator wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm
My preference is for 5 because it's the only way for both of them to end up together permanently in a way that would be believable to an audience. It would also be quite subversive and Martinesque.

The most probable outcome is 3, but with one of the two dying shortly afterwards.

I would absolutely hate 2 and 4.
If it was No.5 then Sam and Bran would have to conspire together. Having them both killed off in the first episode to accommodate this, is a bit of a stretch. I think I'd feel cheated if it never came out.

Violator
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm

Stormborn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm
Violator wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm
My preference is for 5 because it's the only way for both of them to end up together permanently in a way that would be believable to an audience. It would also be quite subversive and Martinesque.

The most probable outcome is 3, but with one of the two dying shortly afterwards.

I would absolutely hate 2 and 4.
If it was No.5 then Sam and Bran would have to conspire together. Having them both killed off in the first episode to accommodate this, is a bit of a stretch. I think I'd feel cheated if it never came out.
Don't rule it out though. This is a story which has always tried to subvert expectations which people have about these kinds of stories. Now, as the TV series has moved past the books and closer to the end, this complexity has been watered down a little, but it would not surprise me if the truth of Dany and Jon being related is covered up by those who know to save the kingdom and for political expediency.

Bran and Sam would very well want to tell Jon about their revelation, but they haven't met Tyrion and Varys yet and the latter may have a very different idea about what truth is and how how important it is too.

Stormborn
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Violator wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm
Stormborn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm
Violator wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm
My preference is for 5 because it's the only way for both of them to end up together permanently in a way that would be believable to an audience. It would also be quite subversive and Martinesque.

The most probable outcome is 3, but with one of the two dying shortly afterwards.

I would absolutely hate 2 and 4.
If it was No.5 then Sam and Bran would have to conspire together. Having them both killed off in the first episode to accommodate this, is a bit of a stretch. I think I'd feel cheated if it never came out.
Don't rule it out though. This is a story which has always tried to subvert expectations which people have about these kinds of stories. Now, as the TV series has moved past the books and closer to the end, this complexity has been watered down a little, but it would not surprise me if the truth of Dany and Jon being related is covered up by those who know to save the kingdom and for political expediency.

Bran and Sam would very well want to tell Jon about their revelation, but they haven't met Tyrion and Varys yet and the latter may have a very different idea about what truth is and how how important it is too.
After S7, I don't have any faith in D&D to pull off anything so challenging as subverting audience expectations. They might delay revealing the news, like the Stark reunions which were dragged out, but I can't see it staying a secret. Sam's loyalty to Jon will be no match for the machinations of Tyrion and Varys. Bran it's harder to say but his single minded focus of telling Jon would be an obstacle as well.

tanner1
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 am

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 pm

I think that Jon will find out but decides not to tell and because of the war there won't be an opportunity to be romantically involved. then unfortunately, I am heartbroken to say, Jon probably dies, leaving Dani to never know or maybe he will tell her at his end.

Stormborn
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 am

tanner1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 pm
I think that Jon will find out but decides not to tell and because of the war there won't be an opportunity to be romantically involved. then unfortunately, I am heartbroken to say, Jon probably dies, leaving Dani to never know or maybe he will tell her at his end.
I can definitely see that happening as it's not too challenging for D&D to pull off..haha! However, I'd swap "decides not to tell" for 'Jon grapples with emotional fallout and misses opportunities to tell Dany because of the war, which physically separates them.'

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests