Spin-Off Ideas

Not Littlefinger

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:25 am

Perhaps this discussion is preemptive, but when faced with the daunting and inevitable realization that Game of Thrones will eventually end, I often find solace in the prospect of at least one spin-off show to come later. I know there has been a lot of talk and discussion about which topics we would like to see made into spin-offs (Dunk and Egg, Robert's Rebellion, Dance of Dragons, etc.) I wanted to see what other ideas folks had for spin-offs beyond the aforementioned commonplace ones, as well as share my own.

Personally, I think that Littlefinger's childhood (bear with me on this) would make a great spin-off. Most are aware of Littlefinger's significant impact on the show's events, especially the Stark storyline. Had it never been for him killing Jon Arryn, the Starks never would have left Winterfell. It would be amazing to see this all from his perspective, how one simple move in his larger plan triggers an entire series' worth of events that we've primarily seen through the eyes of other characters and houses.

LF's childhood also fits the typical Game of Thrones style in two ways. First, it would show you the background of the series from his perspective. In GoT, there is rarely a "Good vs. Evil" fight, and there is almost always good and evil on both sides of every conflict, as Jorah Mormont said himself. Game of Thrones is known for showing the viewer both perspectives of every battle and every war, portraying the reality that there is often a blurrier line between good and evil than we typically see in movies and TV. Viewing the events leading up to the TV series through LF's eyes would accomplish exactly that. Secondly, GoT is known for busting your "Fantasy" genre norms: the knight saves the princess, good beats evil, etc. The defining moment in LF's childhood is when he challenges Brandon to a duel for Catelyn's love. According to all the stories, he should have won: he loved her more and he was the underdog. But, as he elaborated in Season 1's "You Win or You Die," he realized that it was all just a game, so he might as well learn how to play it. The duel scene would be fantastic to see played out, with a younger, more beautiful Catelyn as the prize. Perhaps it would even make viewers sympathize with Littlefinger in the main show.

A big challenge in finding a spin-off subject is finding something that ties well into the show, but does so without being redundant. Robert's Rebellion, for example, is an unlikely spin-off candidate because it is already heavily discussed in the show, and, while it could be interesting to see it portrayed, we wouldn't gain anything new from it. LF's childhood, on the other hand, is very relevant and important to the main series. And, while it has been discussed in the series on occasion, is largely unfamiliar to the show's audience. The main disadvantage to this spin-off is that it would have difficulty attracting the show's casual viewers. While those who understand LF's important role in the series would likely watch, I'm unsure if it would have enough intensity, battle, gore, and sex to bring in all the GoT viewers.

Please share your spin-off idea, especially if it is an original or uncommon one.

Needle

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:13 am

Would be cool if they made a spinoff solely about places we've never seen, both in show and books. The books barely mention Sothoryos, so I doubt it will appear on the show, some fans speculate there are actual dinosaurs in that continent. Which yeah, dragons are cool and all, but dinosaurs, dude.
Asshai and the Shadow Lands have a tiny chance of appearing on the show, but I still doubt it. There are so many mysteries about these places that even the people living in the world of Game of Thrones don't fully know everything about them.

Another idea I'd find interesting is Aegon's Conquest, but from Dorne's point of view. Think about it, out of all the seven kingdoms, they were the only ones who managed to defeat Aegon. Would be interesting to watch how it all went down.

Not Littlefinger

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Needle wrote:
Would be cool if they made a spinoff solely about places we've never seen, both in show and books. The books barely mention Sothoryos, so I doubt it will appear on the show, some fans speculate there are actual dinosaurs in that continent. Which yeah, dragons are cool and all, but dinosaurs, dude.
Asshai and the Shadow Lands have a tiny chance of appearing on the show, but I still doubt it. There are so many mysteries about these places that even the people living in the world of Game of Thrones don't fully know everything about them.
Dinosaurs? I'd watch! Only problem is that, as you said, it was only mentioned in the books and never the show. I'm not sure how they'd tie it in with the show in a way that would get the most viewers to "migrate" over. But then again, who wouldn't want to watch freaking dinosaurs?
Needle wrote:
Another idea I'd find interesting is Aegon's Conquest, but from Dorne's point of view. Think about it, out of all the seven kingdoms, they were the only ones who managed to defeat Aegon. Would be interesting to watch how it all went down.
As long as the don't do with Dorne what they did to it in the show. But hell yeah on that.

evenwind

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I'd like the spin-off to have nothing to do with whatever's left of the current characters. Possibly something much earlier like the wars of the Valyrian Freehold and the subsequent Doom. Or, maybe Bran the Builder and the Age of Heros.

Needle

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm
Needle wrote:
Dinosaurs? I'd watch! Only problem is that, as you said, it was only mentioned in the books and never the show. I'm not sure how they'd tie it in with the show in a way that would get the most viewers to "migrate" over. But then again, who wouldn't want to watch freaking dinosaurs?
Needle wrote:
As long as the don't do with Dorne what they did to it in the show. But hell yeah on that.
lol maybe they'd use it as an opportunity to redeem themselves from their godaweful adaptation of Dorne?

Raeslewolhn

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I like pretty much all of these ideas. I think an LF story would-be cool, but is unlikely. Maybe his childhood could be PART of a spin-off.
I think something about a previous era in history like Aegons conquest (Dorne focus would be cool), and I especially love the first WW war idea, but neither are good business strategy for HBO, bc ppl are attached to these characters, so also unlikely.

Most likely candidate is Roberts rebellion, bc it involves the older characters when they're younger and we can see our fav younger ones get born, later as children. But again, it would have to be from a different channel. Doesn't seem like an HBO kind of move.

Not Littlefinger

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Raeslewolhn wrote:
Most likely candidate is Roberts rebellion, bc it involves the older characters when they're younger and we can see our fav younger ones get born, later as children. But again, it would have to be from a different channel. Doesn't seem like an HBO kind of move.
They already ruled out Robert's Rebellion because it's so heavily discussed in the show and wouldn't really bring anything new to the audience. I mean, it would be cool to see, like you said. But, it wouldn't really be thrilling because you know what happens and how it all plays out. And I highly doubt that HBO would give up any rights to the show or show material. It's their biggest cash cow.

Raeslewolhn

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Raeslewolhn wrote:
They already ruled out Robert's Rebellion because it's so heavily discussed in the show and wouldn't really bring anything new to the audience. I mean, it would be cool to see, like you said. But, it wouldn't really be thrilling because you know what happens and how it all plays out. And I highly doubt that HBO would give up any rights to the show or show material. It's their biggest cash cow.
Fair enough. Prequels are made though, so mayyyyybe. ;)

Now that I think about it, seeking the Poli drama audience would likely fail for all of these reasons. My reasoning was that the Poli drama and shocking characters harnesses a demo that scifi doesn't always get, which is why GoT is huge. Aegons conquest wouldn't have enough of the same characters, for those who like intrigue and these characters, same kind of problem with WWW1.

To really get the same effect, it would have to have more characters, to be a spin off dramatically, and use the same world, to be a viable franchise. It would need some of the same characters, and the fantasy stuff, so there's not really a good option! :cry:

But thinking about it now, it would ONLY be viable if they went fantasy about, like the first WW war. Fantasy and scifi fans loooove prequels and distant spinoffs.

You're right though, HBO would def not give up the rights. Are we sure they're not time limited?

I generally just don't think there will be one at all.... :(

Not Littlefinger

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:17 am

Raeslewolhn wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm
Not Littlefinger wrote:
Raeslewolhn wrote:
Fair enough. Prequels are made though, so mayyyyybe. ;)

Now that I think about it, seeking the Poli drama audience would likely fail for all of these reasons. My reasoning was that the Poli drama and shocking characters harnesses a demo that scifi doesn't always get, which is why GoT is huge. Aegons conquest wouldn't have enough of the same characters, for those who like intrigue and these characters, same kind of problem with WWW1.

To really get the same effect, it would have to have more characters, to be a spin off dramatically, and use the same world, to be a viable franchise. It would need some of the same characters, and the fantasy stuff, so there's not really a good option! :cry:

But thinking about it now, it would ONLY be viable if they went fantasy about, like the first WW war. Fantasy and scifi fans loooove prequels and distant spinoffs.

You're right though, HBO would def not give up the rights. Are we sure they're not time limited?

I generally just don't think there will be one at all.... :(
From what I hear, it will almost certainly be a prequel, which I think will be pretty cool. And I'm positive that it will happen: they are discussing 4 different ideas right now. GoT is HBO's flagship show, and they're going to squeeze as much money out of it as possible. That being said, I don't know if their rights to it are time-limited, but it wouldn't feel right watching it from another network. However, I doubt they would be wasting time planning spinoffs (as they are doing right now) if they weren't positive they will have the legal rights to do so.

http://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-develo ... -spinoffs/

Joel Needs a Car

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 am

The Baking Adventures of Hot Pie: 50 Shades of Gravy
AKA: Ser Not Appearing in this Series

• Information