White Walker v. Wight

lomilaw

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:15 am

The Night King and the other white walkers are obviously different from the army of dead/undead zombies they lead. All along I have thought that a wight was one of the undead zombie-like creatures. First, am I wrong; and if so, what is a wight? Second, my understanding is that Jon and the others are going north to bring back a wight. I have seen reviews and recaps saying that they are attempting to catch a white walker and bring it back. I believed they are attempting to bring back one of the undead soldiers, but am I wrong here?

evenwind

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:34 am

I agree with you - wights are dead humans and White Walkers are some other kind of being. Jon and Co. are trying to capture a wight to bring back to prove that the dead are coming. I don't think that there's any expectation that Jon and Co. would be able to capture a White Walker.

lomilaw

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:44 am

Ok, so I am not crazy. I think it may be a book reader and show viewer difference. When I talked to my wife about it she didn't even know they were saying the word "wight". She thought they were saying "white" as short for "white walker."

evenwind

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:51 pm

That wight/white thing is probably why so many people get them confused. It was much clearer when there was only the printed page.

Dee Stark

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

lomilaw wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:15 am
The Night King and the other white walkers are obviously different from the army of dead/undead zombies they lead. All along I have thought that a wight was one of the undead zombie-like creatures. First, am I wrong; and if so, what is a wight? Second, my understanding is that Jon and the others are going north to bring back a wight. I have seen reviews and recaps saying that they are attempting to catch a white walker and bring it back. I believed they are attempting to bring back one of the undead soldiers, but am I wrong here?
Yes a wight is the undead soldier... WhiteWalkers are the magical beings which are created by the Whitewalkers themselves (as we saw in season 4 with the Whitewalker and the baby)

lomilaw

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 am

Glad we all agree. Its a bit surprising to me how many critics/reviewers are in the dark on this and are writing that Jon and Co. are going after a WW.

Dee Stark

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 am

lomilaw wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 am
Glad we all agree. Its a bit surprising to me how many critics/reviewers are in the dark on this and are writing that Jon and Co. are going after a WW.
Its because a majority of these critics and reviewers have no idea whats actually happening in the show

Ginevra

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I'd agree with the distinction that wights are the zombie-like creatures that are dead humans and that makeup the army of the undead and that White Walkers = Others include the Night's King (sometimes called Night King) and the others that look like the Night's King but without the crown of horns.

The WW/Others presumably come from the man who had dragonglass shoved in his heart by the CotF centuries ago, who is perhaps on the show the Night's King. And then the NK has been making new Others by frost-touching the Craster babies, and perhaps other babies of the First Men before recent times.

I love the theory that wights are the dead that have been animated to life by the Night's King and his Others warging into them!!! And I think that Bran or perhaps another Stark will similarly warg into the Kings of the North and their direwolves in the Winterfell Crypts to create their own little Army of the Undead, which is why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell, why there are dozens of animated verbs used to describe these dead kings, and why Jon frequently dreams of these kings telling him that he can't be down there because he isn't a Stark. Of course, that won't happen this season, for sure. But it has been my pet theory for many a moon.

• Information