Gendry theory

Minerva

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been wracking my brain to understand why they would bother to bring back Gendry. Fan service doesn't seem like a good enough reason. On the other hand, we do need a third dragon rider. They don't bring it up in the show, but the reason Robert Baratheon became king after the rebellion was that he was a Targaryen cousin through his grandmother. So Gendry has Targaryen blood.

Bronn Ferking

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm

I think he may end up on the iron throne, possibly with Sansa at his side (Arya his true love stolen away by death or duty). The whole thing starts again...

Dgskdive

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Minerva wrote:
I have been wracking my brain to understand why they would bother to bring back Gendry. Fan service doesn't seem like a good enough reason. On the other hand, we do need a third dragon rider. They don't bring it up in the show, but the reason Robert Baratheon became king after the rebellion was that he was a Targaryen cousin through his grandmother. So Gendry has Targaryen blood.
No way Gendry becomes a dragon rider. It's true, that Robert is blood related to the Targaryens through Rhaelle. But Gendry would have more Baratheon and Estermont blood in him than anything else. Neither of his parents being an actual Targaryen I cant see him being a dragon rider.

Lyannabanna

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Minerva wrote:
They need a blacksmith at DS to make dragonglass weapons at the source. Davos remembered him as a good one, so he decided to look for him.

My hunch is that unless Sam discovers it first, Gendy will figure out that Valyrian steel is made by mixing adding dragonglass melted by dragons and can then forge VS swords.

I think he has a better claim to the IT as a Baratheon than a Targaryen, and I doubt that he will ride a dragon.

Wimsey

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Lyannabanna wrote:
They need a blacksmith at DS to make dragonglass weapons at the source. Davos remembered him as a good one, so he decided to look for him.
They would need fletchers and spear-makers, not blacksmiths: those are the people who make weapons with obsidian heads to them.
Lyannabanna wrote:
My hunch is that unless Sam discovers it first, Gendy will figure out that Valyrian steel is made by mixing adding dragonglass melted by dragons and can then forge VS swords.
Azor Ahai got his sword by skewering his girlfriend: neither dragonglass nor obsidian are part of the story. The "missing ingredient" for Valyrian steel has been in the old stories all the while: it's human sacrifice.
Lyannabanna wrote:
I think he has a better claim to the IT as a Baratheon than a Targaryen, and I doubt that he will ride a dragon.
Gendry has no claim to anything as a Baratheon: he might claim to be Robert's son and people might even believe him, but Robert never acknowledged him, so Gendry cannot be legitimized. Robert has "true" heirs among the Westerosi nobility: in fact, the Lannisters seem to be the heirs to the Baratheons. Thus, although the show never mentions it (and it's possible that GRRM has hitherto unknown closer cousins), Cersei might be Tommen's heir, with Jaime disqualified by being a Kingsguard and Tyrion being effectively attainted.

(In the books, Gendry has an older half-brother and an older half-sister, who Robert did acknowledge and who theoretically could be turned into Baratheons; the former even has a noble mother. However, who is going to inherit the Baratheon lands never comes up, even though Renly is dead and Stannis is attainted [and already dead in the most advanced plotlines, although not plotlines where people would care about that particular detail].)
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Lyannabanna

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:01 am

Wimsey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Gendry has no claim to anything as a Baratheon: he might claim to be Robert's son and people might even believe him, but Robert never acknowledged him, so Gendry cannot be legitimized.
Of course, you are absolutely right! Even so… In my dreams, someone will "make it so" for him to become Lord of Storm's End and live happily ever adventuring with Arya and a few ever-so extra-special kids.

tanner1

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 pm

I agree with Minerva. Winterfell needs a blacksmith and I think that he will serve.

Ginevra

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Bronn Ferking wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm
I think he may end up on the iron throne, possibly with Sansa at his side (Arya his true love stolen away by death or duty). The whole thing starts again...
Hmm, there isn't enough build up of Gendry for him to be the final monarch. We must get one of the Big Five on the throne in the end, IMO. This is their story, after all.

As much as I believe that this show is not about shipping, I think Gendry might be back as a love interest for Arya.

Wimsey

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm
As much as I believe that this show is not about shipping, I think Gendry might be back as a love interest for Arya.
"Shipping" is part of character drama, and this is a character drama. Moreover, this coupling was foreshadowed in the very first episode. So, it shouldn't shock us too much. Moreover, if Arya is going to end up with someone, it would be appropriate if it were someone else who was sort of on the outskirts of nobility!
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Felix

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 am

I think that Gendry will get made a lord for supporting Jon and Danny, thus regardless that he's a Bastard, he can keep the Baratheon bloodline going, but under a new name. With Gendry's new status he is able to marry Arya, because he's one of a small number of people who can get through to her and help her save herself from herself.

• Information