Episode 6 leaked!!

WotW Spoiler Town, with extensive House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones Spoilers including major leaks, filming spoilers, photos and all. Consider yourself warned!
Mau mau

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Icewalker wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I don't know what you are taking about S1E8. Everything looked like it took a few weeks or even a month or two. Robb rallying the North and marching south, Drogo marching and destroying the Lhazareen village, Cat leaving the Vale and meeting Robb's army close to the Neck, Tyrion walking through the Vale and joining Tywin in the Riverlands.

Watch S7E6 and explain how it's possible for Gendry to run back to Eastwatch, send a raven to Dragonstone(which should take a few days), Dany flies to the North and our heroes are pretty much standing there without food or supplies.
So Ned was in dungeon for a month and Sansa took a month to ask for mercy for her father? Yeah, right.

We don't know how big Westeros is in the show, we dont know how far away Dragonstone is, we don't know how fast ravens in this world can fly, since their capabilities doesn't make any sense if you use normal ravens from our world and we don't know how fast dragons can fly. So yeas, 24 hours could be enough.

Chilli

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Did a raven actually arrive at Dragonstone? I didn't see it but I was skipping the Winterfell parts so I might have missed some things.

Mau mau

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm

JennyT wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm
I know that people will bitch about Arya and say she is a psycho
I think people are completely ignoring that Arya at the end of that scene gave Sansa a dagger. That completely changes the context of the scene.

BeardedOnion

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't really have a problem with the pace or the ravens.

It's just like S1 in that regard. Blame GRRM for his UTTERLY shit sense of scale, he admitted as much when shown just how big the Wall is. Westeros being the size of South America is nothing short of retardation. It should be the size of Texas, BLOODY big but not entire single kingdoms being many times bigger than the Isles of Great Britain big. Dany getting across huge something the size of Texas in a day makes 100% sense in my head and I'm going with it because the Starks ruling over land almost the size of China for 1000s of years in the middle of bumfuck nowhere makes less sense than ravens/dragons getting to places in 3 days.

Mau mau

BeardedOnion wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm
they had to add "tension" where none was needed.
Yes it is needed. Sansa and Arya had a complicated relationship in the past and I'm glad that that wasn't ignored. Even GRRM said that Sansa and Arya will have things to solve when they meet.

Mau mau

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

BeardedOnion wrote:

And it makes no sense at all that the armies are this small if Westerios is that big. I mean only 20 000 man in Robb's army?

So this is what I'm takling about, scale and numbers were always clunky in this story.

I think it makes no sense that people act like that started in S7.

Mau mau

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:13 pm

People will always complain about something. OMG they made LF stupid! They made Sansa stupid! They made Arya stupid!!

I mean if every character is super smart and makes no mistakes there would be no plot al all. :lol:

BeardedOnion

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Mau mau wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm
BeardedOnion wrote:

And it makes no sense at all that the armies are this small if Westerios is that big. I mean only 20 000 man in Robb's army?

So this is what I'm takling about, scale and numbers were always clunky in this story.

I think it makes no sense that people act like that started in S7.
Don't forget that Roman Empire was MASSIVE and struggled to maintain itself. China never expanded beyond it's Imperial borders much. Huge empires like those struggled to maintain itself let alone wage war elsewhere, in other massive empires spanning 1000s of miles. Now, Westeros is meant to be the size of SA right? Brazil is bigger than Rome at it's height. Peru is many times bigger than the UK. It'll be like Portugal waging constant war on, like, Poland in the 1200s. Doesn't really add up, does it?

Also, for land THAT big? Why is there only like, 3 or 4 major cities? Old Town... King's Landing... White Harbour.. the Vale one? This is a huge land with 8000 years of recorded history. Look how many cities medieval ENGLAND had alone, or France. 3000 years ago and GREECE was popping up with city after city. None of this makes any god damn sense.. it needs to be scaled the hell down. We need to start blaming the scale at this point because it's absurd.

Mau mau

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Yes, but we don't know the scale from the show. We have some informations, but we don't know how war Dragonstone is from Eastwatch for example.

But yes, the scale of this wolrd one the one hand doesn't make any sense and on the other is the reason why GRRM can't finish the books. He just can't move the plot. Nothing can happen fast any more. TWOW chapters prove that.

Sometimes, for the greater good, sacrifices must be made. And sacrificing logistics in order to save the story is the only option.

Jon Snowed

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but regularly contribute in the article comments.

I watched the leaked episode here in the UK, largely because I had a HD link and that it saves me waking at 2am to watch it live - it still wasn't an easy choice though.

Anyway I am a huge ASOIF/GOT fan but this episode left me with mixed feelings. I read the leaked outline last year so I knew a dragon would die but not which side kicks (other than Thoros and Beric - who actually survives!!) perished or how the episode would play. As I watched this episode unfold there is some really amazing stuff but also a few plot holes/poor writing which distracted me (anyone who reads my comments will know I am not normally one for this).

Anyway here are my thoughts:
- The dialogue by the Wight hunting team is fantastic, Tormund and the Hound are brilliant through out the episode. Beric, Jorah, Gendry all interact amazingly well. Hearing Tormund describe Brienne as his woman then the Hound realise who is talking about was one notable highlight.
- The scenario north of the wall is amazing, such also cinematography!
- Unlike one or two others I love the Winterfell scenes and genuinely thought Arya was going to kill Sansa. I'm not a great fan of Sansa or Sophie as an actress but she nails it and is genuinely terrified by Arya who is excellently portrayed by Maisie.
- The dragon CGI is amazing, by far the best on the show.
- The escape is well done and not cheesy as it could be.

Now my criticisms:
- This one really bugged me but Jon and co grab a wight then see the coming storm and realise it's going to get nasty. Jon immediately tells Gendry to run to Eastwatch and send a raven to Danerys, I meant what the fuck? They are presumably miles past the wall, if he gets there he has to send a raven to Dragonstone, she has to read it and then fly all the way North and find them, that's going to take days and they are about to get swamped by thousands of wights, it's just daft.
- Anyway Jon and co run in a different direction to Gendry and accidently get refuge on a small island in the middle of a frozen lake, this is all fine and good but the are their presumably for a long time given the above with no noticeable food or heat (well apart from Thoros burning body), they sleep over night then on day 2 Jorah tells Jon they are going to freeze to death despite surviving the night? Also tens of thousands of the army of the dead just stand motionless watching them, why? * see my point below I may have worked out why but it's not clear to the audience.
* Final criticism where exactly did all those chains come from to pull the dragon out of the lake? They are in the frozen north but suddenly have these huge chains?

Also my question that nobody seems to have picked upon is the Nights King a Greenseeyer? The way the army of the dead just stand around the last few survivors and the Nights king has the ice spears ready it's almost as if he knew the Dragons would come right? He was prepared and waiting in my opinion.

• Information