ONLY for those that have seen S7E6 - Disappointed?

WotW Spoiler Town, with extensive House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones Spoilers including major leaks, filming spoilers, photos and all. Consider yourself warned!
PulledGroin

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am

Mau mau wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 am
I completely understand where this conflict between Arya and Sansa is comming from and I really don't think it is forced. GRRM himself said that they will have to resolve some things between them. This is it.

I mean, Arya didn't have a good relationship with Sansa before. She betrayed her for Joffrey. Later, she knows that Sansa was married to a Lannister and a Bolton. She doesn't know the context. She knew that before she came to WF.

Sansa is now keeping LF in WF. She thinks that Sansa is not that harsh in defending Jon and she sees that Sansa has ambitions and she does think that she should be QITN. She then sees that Sansa is trying to hide a latter, so it just proves her further that Sansa is afraid that that would ruin her reputation in the North, which means that she wants to turn lords on her side. Arya knows that Jon wouldn't be angry because of that lattter, so it has to be Northern lords. And she saw Sansa trying to find that latter in Arya's room, so there is no reason for her to believe that LF lyied to Wolkan.

On the other hand, for Sansa Arya seems like a person she doesn't know. She has a list of people she is going to kill, she seems like a really dangerous fighter, she has faces of dead people,... We know that Sansa more than anything else wants respect, and she thinks Arya is not respecting her at all. The point is, Arya seems like a very unpredictable and strange person.
I agree with what you are saying, but my issue, and again this may be my personal bias, is that when do three siblings who haven't seen each other for years not sit down and have a beer and talk about what they have been doing? It's like going to Thanksgiving, saying "sup" to your bro who got just back from Afghanistan and just keep on walking to the kitchen.

I would loved to have had a scene where the three of them are sitting by the fire, drinking, and telling stories...

Bran, "Hodor"

Sansa, "My second husband was kind of an asshole and my wedding night sucked, oh and Theon watched."

Arya, "I killed a girl and used her face (or stole a face from the faceless men - can't recall exactly), and pretended to be a child prostitute so I could stab a pedo King's Guard in the eyes.

*all three laugh hysterically*

My point is if they just sat around and talked a bit, none of this "tension" would exist. They would realize they have all been through some stuff and would strengthen their sibling bond.

For example, the writers have somehow managed to make the Lannister siblings more trusting/functional of each other than the Stark siblings at this point in the story...because they talked some shit out. Not a perfect comparison but I think you will get where I am coming from.

Granted, assuming what we think happens in Ep 7, this will all get worked out when...they talk to each other...lol.

Loonyluna

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

Watched the episode last night.
Now the writing in the show has been poor since s4 or so. Did not think it was particularly terrible here. The episode was actually quite enjoyable.
1. The north dialogue scenes set up new relationships between the men and were foreshadowing. Sandor and Thormund, Jon and Jorah. There was a clear link between what Thormund said abt Mance not bending his knee to Stannis and how that might have condemned his people to the events of Hardhome, and Jon actually bending the knee to Dany at end of episode. There was also clear foreshadowing in Jorah and Jon talking about Longclaw being handed down to Jon's future children. It put the idea of children in Jon's head as a reality for the first time. The foreshadowing of children was actually present through the whole episode in Tyrion-Dany talk to Jon-Dany conversation at the end, even though here the point was Dany can't have any. This way the show indirectly bringing in Mirri Maaz Duur's curse/prophecy into the show without overtly doing it. The action scenes were well done, if a bit jarring because there was no timeframe. We have to just let go of this at this stage I think.
2. The whole episode had a solemn doomsday quality to it. Something terrible was gonna hapoen and it did.
3. The Winterfell scenes only make sense if both Arya and Sansa are playing a double con on LF, which is what I think they are doing. This was possibly shown to the viewer when Arya handed Sansa the dagger. Sansa in that moment understood what Arya was capable of and that she was telling Sansa to let her take out LF. Use the dagger. At least that is what I got from it. They know they are being watched and are putting on a show.
4. The NK was waiting for them. He has Bran like greenseing powers. This was a planned ambush or definitely felt like it. NK walked right through dragonfire. What will take out this guy?
5. What in the world was up with Longclaw wolf pummel? On my screen it definitely looked like the eyes of the pummel went from milky/opaque to black/dark when Jon reemerged from the icy waters.
6. I suspect there was a lot of book/canon material in this episode. Of course we wont know for certain until books are published, but it felt like a lot of resetting the board for season 8. This whole season has been a setup season for the end.

Mau mau

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 am

PulledGroin wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am

I agree with what you are saying, but my issue, and again this may be my personal bias, is that when do three siblings who haven't seen each other for years not sit down and have a beer and talk about what they have been doing?
Well, I think the point is that it takes time for them to reconnect after all the horrors that they've endured. And it's not like it takes that much time. It will only be 2 episodes of tension. I'm glad that they didn't write the Starks as the big happy family. Immediately.

Jack Bauer 24

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:01 am

In the promo pics Sansa is reading a scroll while Brienne looks on. Was that from Cersei requesting everyone go to KL for the armistice? Shouldn't Cersei wait until she knows the Wight expedition was successful before sending for everyone? Sounds premature

PulledGroin

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am

Jack Bauer 24 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:01 am
In the promo pics Sansa is reading a scroll while Brienne looks on. Was that from Cersei requesting everyone go to KL for the armistice? Shouldn't Cersei wait until she knows the Wight expedition was successful before sending for everyone? Sounds premature
Yes and Yes :) That scene should probably have been in the next episode. And it doesn't look like Tormund is going to KL so he will have to wait a lil longer to make huge babies.

BeardedOnion

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Mau mau wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am
BeardedOnion wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Then Arya comes, assumes the worst

Arya assumes the worst because that makes sense. Sansa isn't defending Jon that much, she can see on her face that Sansa thinks that they are right, that she should have been Queen. She keeps LF around. Arya is trying to scare Sansa to see her loyalty. And Sansa has history of betraying her family in the past.
How should she defend him? By alienating her allies?

Also Sansa hasn't betrayed her family once on the show.

LufkinAg

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 pm

I have found no matter the subject there are those who feel superior to others by them hating on the show or team they support. They believe it is their job to point out all the negatives and act as though it is beneath them. Cracks me up everytime.

This season has been great in my opinion. It has a few holes and time warps but has to because we are coming to the end. As far as predictable, what do you expect we already know the story line. Get over yourself.

Arya and Sansa

They are aniling it and it is going as I expected. Sansa has always played by the rules and Arya has always broken them which is ok because daddy applauded her when she had success which means it's ok to break the rules. Arya has hated Sansa since childhood and loved Jon who Sansa hated and mistreated. Sansa has lied on Arya and the family. You can not expect a sit down, beer and laughs. Even today half the families do not do this because history of the past has broken their relationship like the Starks. The writing is dead on in the betrayal of the relationships instead of having a Hollywood ending. Bran is gone get over it, he is no longer a Stark.

Littlefinger

Is playing his game but Sansa is on to him and Arya never trusted him. Every move he makes Sansa is questioning. The only Northern Lords questioning Jon is the Vale and the Reads which listens to Littlefinger. Hell, the Vale is Littlefinger. This does not go unnoticed by Sansa. That is why she wanted to know where Arya found the letter because it smells of Littlefinger. You have to have all this happenning to convince Sansa to kill him because she doesn't just chop off heads though Arya wants her to.

Arya

One of my favorite characters because she has always been an underdog. Naive, impulsive, rule breaker, short sighted, loyal, skillful, heartless killer, sneaky, resourceful, cunning are words that fit her character but leadership or general are not. You can not expect her to change who she is just because she completed assassin's training. Ruling and how to rule is going to be a huge weakness for Arya so quit expecting her to do so. I still think that in the end somehow Arya kills the Night King with the dagger she has in the middle of a great war especially after seeing the small band blow up when the leader was killed in the small group attack.

Lannister's

Whoever said they trust each other is not watching the same scenes and listening to the same dialogue. Cersie trust no one especially Jamie and has threatened his life if he betrays her again. Which he didn't the first time. Jamie is having a hard time towing the family line because he now knows Cersie does not value life, anyone's life. And no one trust Tyrion. So how you think they are one big happy family is beyond me.

The story from here on out is predictable so get over it, sit back and enjoy quit critiquing everything. This show has done a better job of showing real life and how it happens than any other I've seen.

Violator

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Are we to believe that no walkers were harmed in the filming of the dragon attack?

Hey, could someone link me to the episode 7 plot description please - I'm trying to find it again so I can jog memory of what's coming up?

Finally, the biggest punishment for watching and reading spoilers is having to read the 'predictions' and speculations of others, on the news board, who don't know what's going to happen. Some of them are so off and others pure bonkers, but all you can do is keep shtum.

Oh well.

LufkinAg

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:12 pm

BeardedOnion wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm
Mau mau wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am
BeardedOnion wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Then Arya comes, assumes the worst

Arya assumes the worst because that makes sense. Sansa isn't defending Jon that much, she can see on her face that Sansa thinks that they are right, that she should have been Queen. She keeps LF around. Arya is trying to scare Sansa to see her loyalty. And Sansa has history of betraying her family in the past.
How should she defend him? By alienating her allies?

Also Sansa hasn't betrayed her family once on the show.

She betrayed her family in season one and took Jeoffrey side when she lied about what happened. She didn't have the integrity to just tell the truth because it would make her fantasy boy look like a wuss and coward we all knew. It cost the Butcher's boy his life, Arya her wolf and the life of her own wolf. She stabbed her family in the back that day.

LufkinAg

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Violator wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm
Are we to believe that no walkers were harmed in the filming of the dragon attack?

Hey, could someone link me to the episode 7 plot description please - I'm trying to find it again so I can jog memory of what's coming up?

Finally, the biggest punishment for watching and reading spoilers is having to read the 'predictions' and speculations of others, on the news board, who don't know what's going to happen. Some of them are so off and others pure bonkers, but all you can do is keep shtum.

Oh well.
That is a harsh punishment unless you get them to defend their point and they get all pissy about it then look like a giant ass afterwards. But I like chaos.

• Information