Odds of Dany Winning

Crispy Shireen

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm

No spoilers please, but what do you guys think the odds are of Dany taking the Iron Throne? I personally would be extremely disapointed if she never took it after 7 seasons of following her story. I always thought she would take the IT in season 7 but now she is planning a pact with Cersei, the Night King is coming, and finally Jon Snow has a better claim than her. I am starting to feel like we may never get that epic scene I have been imagining for years where she finally enters the Red Keep and sits on the throne.

Also, I love both Dany and Jon Snow, but I hate the idea that the title of ASoIaF refers exclusively to Jon Snow. Dany is just as important to the story as Jon is, andher jouney through the seasons has been just as important as Jon's. She is not a B plot to Jon's A plot. both of their journeys have been A plots, but with the revelation of Rheagar's anullment, I fear she may become a B plot.

Not Littlefinger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Crispy Shireen wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm
No spoilers please, but what do you guys think the odds are of Dany taking the Iron Throne? I personally would be extremely disapointed if she never took it after 7 seasons of following her story. I always thought she would take the IT in season 7 but now she is planning a pact with Cersei, the Night King is coming, and finally Jon Snow has a better claim than her. I am starting to feel like we may never get that epic scene I have been imagining for years where she finally enters the Red Keep and sits on the throne.

Also, I love both Dany and Jon Snow, but I hate the idea that the title of ASoIaF refers exclusively to Jon Snow. Dany is just as important to the story as Jon is, andher jouney through the seasons has been just as important as Jon's. She is not a B plot to Jon's A plot. both of their journeys have been A plots, but with the revelation of Rheagar's anullment, I fear she may become a B plot.
That's the beauty of the show though. What was the point of following Robb Stark around for 3 seasons if his entire cause died at the Red Wedding? I love the show because it portrays the harsh realities: good guys die just as easy as bad ones, a "good cause" isn't a shield, and, most importantly, being a main character doesn't make you invincible or make things fall into place as you had always expected. Season 1 spent a lot of time on Ned Stark, and look how that helped him. I think that Dany not getting what she wants would be another beautiful plot twist. In real life, working for something for years is no guarantee that we will ever get it. Many fictitious works and fairy tales work around it. GoT/ASoIaF addresses it head-on. That's what makes it so great. Just my opinion :)

evenwind

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Dany had a vision in the House of the Undying of walking thru the Throne Room in the Red Keep. It was in ruins and the snow was falling thru the ruined roof. I don't think anybody's getting the Iron Throne.

Meg22

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 am

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

My guess is that the "sun" is son. And the son is Jon. He rises in the west (Westeros) and he sets (dies) I'm not sure where. The seas go dry (freeze) the mountains blow in the wind (the wall). Dany will be pregnant (womb quickens again), have Jon's baby (bear a living child) and then die in childbirth. Dany will be reunited with Khal Drogo ("then he will return") figuratively, if not literally, since they'll both be dead.

Jon and Dany will share the fate of their parents - Jon will die before his child is born (like both their fathers), and Dany will die in childbirth (like both their mothers)

Jon and Dany's baby will be the heir to Westeros. Maybe raised by Tyrion.

LebronBMT

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Meg22 wrote:
"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

My guess is that the "sun" is son. And the son is Jon. He rises in the west (Westeros) and he sets (dies) I'm not sure where. The seas go dry (freeze) the mountains blow in the wind (the wall). Dany will be pregnant (womb quickens again), have Jon's baby (bear a living child) and then die in childbirth. Dany will be reunited with Khal Drogo ("then he will return") figuratively, if not literally, since they'll both be dead.

Jon and Dany will share the fate of their parents - Jon will die before his child is born (like both their fathers), and Dany will die in childbirth (like both their mothers)

I agree something like this might happen too--not that I want it to. I do hope season 8 spends time on Jon's revelation and most importantly, what he decides to do with that information. I could see him keeping the secret himself, and I could also see him being transparent about it and then losing the North as a result (to Sansa?), but gaining or at least being offered the Iron Throne (by Dany?) in the end. He would refuse it of course.

In regards to your original question Op, I personally think LittleFinger is most deserving of the throne since he has put in the most work for it--not that his rule would be good for Westeros quite the opposite. But if Dany doesn't get the throne then she has to die I think. She's not like Jon who is happy without the throne or the power. So I think it's 50/50 for her. If she doesn't die she'll get the throne most likely.

Meg22

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm

LebronBMT wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm
Meg22 wrote:

I agree something like this might happen too--not that I want it to. I do hope season 8 spends time on Jon's revelation and most importantly, what he decides to do with that information. I could see him keeping the secret himself, and I could also see him being transparent about it and then losing the North as a result (to Sansa?), but gaining or at least being offered the Iron Throne (by Dany?) in the end. He would refuse it of course.

In regards to your original question Op, I personally think LittleFinger is most deserving of the throne since he has put in the most work for it--not that his rule would be good for Westeros quite the opposite. But if Dany doesn't get the throne then she has to die I think. She's not like Jon who is happy without the throne or the power. So I think it's 50/50 for her. If she doesn't die she'll get the throne most likely.
To Jon it won't mean anything until the WWs are defeated and even then he probably won't care. Jon didn't really want to be king of the North so it doesn't make sense that he'll want to be king of Westeros either. Dany can be happy without power. She was happy with Khal Drogo and supporting her brother's claim. When he died, it was her obligation to assume the mantel and everything that's happened since then (dragons, defeating the khals) has convinced that that's where her destiny lies. If she learns it's not, and her purpose is elsewhere, I'll think she'll adjust. Her primary motivation is to help people.

Littlefinger deserves what he's done to others and that's to be caught in a trap he didn't see coming.

I think Sansa could be regent to Dany and Jon's son/daughter until he's old enough. Sansa is proving to have the skills to be a good peacetime ruler and she's willing to hand leadership over to someone who has a greater claim (eg. Bran). After the WWs the realm will have had it's fill of fighting for quite a while and the great houses will be diminished. Dany's ambition to break the wheel will have been achieved.

LebronBMT

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Littlefinger, imo, should be his own undoing if that's his fate. He should screw himself over with one of his plans or expose himself accidentally. Giving him some violent death at the hand's of a favorite character would just be fan service and empty. LF isn't a fighter no reason for him to go out that way.

Dany was happy without power. Her character was best in season 1. Since her brother's death though she has taken on his personality. Remember, she and Drogo did not care for the throne before his death.

If her primary motivation was to help people she should have stayed in Meereen or Qarth. She's obssessed with the Iron Throne and conquering a foreign land (Westeros) just like her ancestry before her there is no denying that. If she doesn't want to sit on the throne but just wants to break it, she would just fly over the Throne room and burn it. She's trying to sit on the throne not reck it.

I do wonder if both Sansa and Arya will live in the end. They've already killed two of the Stark boys. If they take out Jon too in the end that's three of the stark boys. Interesting to think about the consequences of Jon finding out his lineage, and the Stark's having no male heirs to continue the family name.
Last edited by LebronBMT on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meg22

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't think Dany took on her brother's personality after his death. You can only ever have your own. But she did take on the Targaryen cause. For the times and place (medieval) this would have been her duty and she would have betrayed both her ancestors and descendants if she didn't at least try. Immediately after her brother's death, Drogo vowed to invade Westeros. He had his son in mind to sit on the Iron Throne but Dany didn't seem to have any objection that she would be passed over in favor of her son. It was when her son was born dead that Dany became the only Targaryen left (as far as she knew). And then she birthed her dragons and survived the fire - many people would have a sense they were meant for big things after that.

Dany gained in confidence as soon as she was out of her brother's power. He kept her browbeaten and meek. She didn't so much change personality, as have the freedom to fully express it. However, the years of being under his thumb is why she has empathy with the slaves and the downtrodden people of the world.

Dany had done all she could in Meereen and the East. The slaves were freed, the masters defeated, Daario and the Second Sons were left in charge to keep the peace while the people elected their own ruler. Her home was Westeros, her heritage was in Westeros. Westeros was being torn apart by civil wars. Westeros needed her help more than Meereen did at that stage.

There's nothing contrary about sitting on the Iron Throne and helping people. As Dany said to Jon in the latest episode - to help people you need to do so from a position of strength.

I think both sisters will live until the end. Sansa is the future of the Starks. Arya's future was foreshadowed when she pondered what is west of Westeros in a conversation with Lady Crane. Arya will continue her wanderings and adventures. Bran will die as it will be the end of magic. His purpose will be done.

PulledGroin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 pm

0% :D

• Information