Longclaw

clash

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:22 am

Did anybody else notice the eye on Longclaw's pommel changed as Jon came out of the water? The closeup showed the hilt and pommel in profile with the only visible eye being opaque white. As Jon came out of the water, the eye changed to a more natural black colour as though it came to life. :o

Lluid

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am

Oh I had not seen that, thanks !
It's really visible when you know it. :)
It's probably only a funny detail though, nothing deeper to understand right ?

clash

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

Lluid wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am
Oh I had not seen that, thanks !
It's really visible when you know it. :)
It's probably only a funny detail though, nothing deeper to understand right ?
Possibly. Though I wonder would thay make such an effort without a reason? It could be a 'feature' of Valyrian steel swords or perhaps somethig to do with Jon only.

trarecar

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am

But WHAT exactly made this happen? He didn't die again. My thought was just that it got wet, though I'm open to it actually meaning something. Did Jon need to be 'baptized' behind the Wall in order for something to happen? Seems too random.

clash

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am

trarecar wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am
But WHAT exactly made this happen? He didn't die again. My thought was just that it got wet, though I'm open to it actually meaning something. Did Jon need to be 'baptized' behind the Wall in order for something to happen? Seems too random.
Yeah, it did get wet. But the eye actually seemed to open rather than change colour. If you watch it in slow-mo, it looks like a pupil emerges. A bit like a lizard's eye, or a dragon's. ;)

It does seem a bit random, but worth noting I think.

Lluid

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I just rewatched the meeting of Jon and Gendry in the previous episode (S07E05), and again the first time I watched it I didn't notice how much the wolf's eyes on Longclaw were glowing there. No opening animation, just some weird reflections.
So I think what we saw in this episode is just an easter egg for the most attentive viewers. ;)

Felix

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 am

I would have thought there are several different Long claws and there is a slight difference between them?

There would be a stun sword, a hero sword, an dueling scene sword etc etc?

clash

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 am

Felix wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 am
I would have thought there are several different Long claws and there is a slight difference between them?

There would be a stun sword, a hero sword, an dueling scene sword etc etc?
This isn't a case of one sword being replaced by another. The change is like an animation. It's very brief, but it's a definite progression.

Dgskdive

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm

clash wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:22 am
Did anybody else notice the eye on Longclaw's pommel changed as Jon came out of the water? The closeup showed the hilt and pommel in profile with the only visible eye being opaque white. As Jon came out of the water, the eye changed to a more natural black colour as though it came to life. :o
Surprised nobody else has read the interview with the director. It was not intentional. The eye of the wolf is clear and goes all the way through the pummel. When Jon's hand came out of the water it was just that being seen through the eye. No intention for it to happen and has no relevance to the story at all. Just something that happened without intent. That is straight from the director.

• Information