What is Sansa's intention when sending Brienne ?

Lluid
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 am

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

[Spoilers from S07E06]
In a context where LittleFinger is trying to split the Stark sisters and mentions Brienne, Sansa decides to send Brienne to King's Landing. I can't decide why she would do that :
  • Either to protect herself in case she (Sansa) planned to harm Arya
  • Or to protect Arya from the possibility that LF would manipulate Brienne to harm Arya
  • Or maybe it's not related, Sansa sends Brienne because she's the only person she trusts
What do you think ?

Meg22
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 am

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Because she trusts Brienne to best serve the North's interest at the meeting at King's Landing.

However, it also signifies that Sansa listens to LF to learn as much as she can from him about strategy but uses her own judgment about implementing it. LF is actually giving himself away in that conversation. Sansa will work it out. She'll ask herself how LF benefits from having Brienne involved.

onefromaway
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

I think two things factored into her intentions. First, Sansa's fear of Cersei and going back to KL is real, given all that happened to her and her family there, so I think that is a strong motive. Second, I think removing Brienne from the situation defuses some of the tension because Brienne would be bound to intercede if there were a threat to either sister from any source. I can believe Sansa doing it to protect Brienne or Arya and possibly herself. I don't think Sansa is plotting against Arya. I think she is confused over what to make of her little sister all the while trying to handle the Northern leaders and prepare for winter.

Maybe Sansa will check in with the maester about that research he was doing for her about the longest winter and the maester will say something about that letter he gave to LF. Perhaps a comment about how hard it was to find it but he was glad he could be of service. Something to let her know LF was behind it.

I'm sorry that Sandor is not headed back to WF, he could help end LF's game!

Bronn Ferking
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Arya was a grade A bitch in that episode- the only excuse would be that it's the Waif wearing her face.

Lluid
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 am

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am

onefromaway wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm
I think she is confused over what to make of her little sister all the while trying to handle the Northern leaders and prepare for winter.
I just realized that I hope this is the case. I'm not looking for another hero with incredible powers, just a girl who became wise enough to understand her own limits and tries to do her best.
Bronn Ferking wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm
Arya was a grade A bitch in that episode
Until recently, all she's lived for years revolved around violence and killing. Also she's always hated her sister, in the way sisters hate each other. So it makes sense that Arya has to learn to trust again. After all, the fact that she gave the dagger to Sansa was a sign of her good will, despite her still being feral.

User avatar
trarecar
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 am

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am

I'm more confused as to why Ayra would give Sansa the dagger. Why go out of your way to threaten your sister's life, and then hand over the very instrument you were threatening her with?

Maybe she was testing Sansa's willingness to stand up for herself and she passed? But still - why give her the dagger?

Regarding Aryra really being The Waif. How would The Waif survive meeting Nymeria? How would The Waif even know who Nymeria is? Also, I think it's very unlikely that Bran would give the dagger to The Waif - he'd know who she was.

K-wilding
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Arya is Arya, it is not the Waif.

- First, I think this is done to show that Sansa is no longer under LF influence to the viewer. He told her to keep Brianne close and she does the opposite. Especially since she could have sent a Northern Lord if she was really feeling threatened by Arya.

-I agree this could have also been done to prevent LF from manipulating Brianne into hurting Arya..

-When Arya gave Sansa the knife after letting her know that she could kill her and no one would be the wiser, she is letting Sansa know that she wont. She could but she wont. Didn't Arya want her to play the truth game - did she decide that Sansa passed?

They are on the same side. I am going to rewatch but I think they are on the same page.

It is too dangerous for Sansa and Arya to plot and plan out loud against littlefinger. He is done.

onefromaway
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Lluid wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am
onefromaway wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm
I think she is confused over what to make of her little sister all the while trying to handle the Northern leaders and prepare for winter.
I just realized that I hope this is the case. I'm not looking for another hero with incredible powers, just a girl who became wise enough to understand her own limits and tries to do her best.
Bronn Ferking wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm
Arya was a grade A bitch in that episode
Until recently, all she's lived for years revolved around violence and killing. Also she's always hated her sister, in the way sisters hate each other. So it makes sense that Arya has to learn to trust again. After all, the fact that she gave the dagger to Sansa was a sign of her good will, despite her still being feral.
I think your goals for Sansa are reasonable. She is learning a lot but there is more to go and putting all that she does know into a demanding situation is not easy. One can have knowledge but not know exactly how to use it. Part of that is understanding her limits, as you say. I think she will keep trying hard but also think she is frustrated and not sure what to do next and she falls back to that Lady of Winterfell mode and worse, turning to LF. I agree with your thoughts on Arya and the strained sister relationship too. They will never be BFFs, but I think they are on the same side, rather in the same pack and will find a way to co-exist.

Meg22
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 am

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Sansa is playing it smart by letting LF think that he still has influence over her. All the while Sansa is learning from him, but not in the way he wants.

K-wilding
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am

Soooo.... just reading the comments under the episode 7 pictures. What if Sansa doesn't have a reason to send her, but rather the show writers do. If something happens to Brianne because of Cersei's plans in KL, this could create a rift between Jamie and Cersei. :shock:

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests