Gendry theory

Ginevra

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am
It was a wedding gift for his grandson, the King, and also a huge trophy of defeat over the Starks. I can see every reason why Tywin would bear any expense to do it. The only way people would continue to respect the Lannisters with their depleted gold mines is if people still BELIEVED they were rich. Tywin didn't approve of the lavishness of Robert, no doubt, but he still knew the importance of appearing powerful.
Tywin would obviously spare the expense to bring a Valyrian steel master-smith if he actually had Valyrian steel for that smith to work with, but he didn't get Ice or have any clue that he would get Ice until well after we've met Mott in King's Landing.

evenwind

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

All this pre-supposes that the smith was brought in to specifically work Valyrian steel. It could easily be that the mastersmith was brought in earlier to make pretty lions on Lannister armor (or dragons on Targ armor) and his additional ability wasn't important until Tywin remembered it.

Ginevra

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 pm

evenwind wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm
All this pre-supposes that the smith was brought in to specifically work Valyrian steel. It could easily be that the mastersmith was brought in earlier to make pretty lions on Lannister armor (or dragons on Targ armor) and his additional ability wasn't important until Tywin remembered it.
Yes, because that is exactly what the show-quote implies.

arabian

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm

I don't see how Arya is even remotely too far gone. She hasn't killed anyone who didn't harm or kill anyone else before her. She's actually been shown very specifically to NOT kill or harm anyone who didn't deserve it. She didn't kill the actress she was ordered to do so by the Faceless men. She didn't kill the Frey women who weren't responsible for the Red Wedding. She didn't kill the Lannister soldiers, etc. Those were VERY conscious decisions showing that Arya is not some killing machine. She also made the very conscious decision to forgo revenge and go after Cersei in King's Landing and instead went home to Winterfell once she found out her family had recaptured it. Has she killed people? Yes. Have lots and lots of characters on this show killed lots and lots of people? Yes. Even good characters doing so? Yes. Sansa tied Ramsey to a chair and watched while his dogs ate him alive and then walked away with a smile on her face. Lady Olenna horrifically poisoned Joffrey and set up Sansa and Tyrion to take the fall for it. In this world, the "good" guys kill people, really terribly. Arya does so as well and like those people, she kills only bad people. She just happens to have been trained to do so. You know, like soldiers.

So, no, she's not too far gone at all.

As for the idea of Sansa and Gendry, I don't see that at all. Of course, D&D could completely make Sansa OOC and go there, but I just don't see it. If Gendry is going to be with any Stark, it will be Arya. That has been built up from the beginning with those two. They have a history, an established relationship (in the books and on the show). Sansa has put away her dreams of love and romance and has already been married twice and isn't going to go down that road again for an alliance. And for any other reason? Sansa may not be the same selfish, spoiled girl she was from earlier seasons but Gendry--the last known living Baratheon or not--is still a bastard, and not a bastard like Jon who was raised as a Lord's son. Gendry is a bastard who grew up in Flea Bottom, manner-less, coarse and a peasant. Good-looking or not, he's a peasant and every definition of a low-born bastard. That is not someone that Sansa Stark is ever going to turn an eye to, and Sansa Stark is every kind of high born that Gendry can't stand. If there is going to be a Gendry/Stark union? It's going to be Gendry and Arya.

Oh, and Gendry coming back has been planned for a long time, it's not just fan service. In interviews, Joe Dempsie said that he was told 18 months ago that Gendry was coming back. This was most definitely planned. The fact that of the three main Baratheon bastards, the show chose to keep Gendry on the canvas and integrate Edric's story into his has always made me think that Gendry is the most important of the Baratheon bastards. He not only is Robert's bastard, but he's also connected to one of the book's main 5 characters (Arya), and a highly-regarded protege of one of the few smiths who can reforge Valyrian steel in Westeros. That the show then chose him to also take on Edric's story? That just all pointed to a bigger role when we reached the end. So, yeah.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

Jbird

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 am

Lately, Arya is too dark. I hope things turn. True, she is mindful of who she kills. Gendry is back for a reason, in a recent article the actor Joe Dempsey (to my surprise) acknowledged a fan prediction that Gendry could be Cersei son. In S1 Cersei told Caitlyn she lost her first born & never visited the crypt and compared him to a bird without feathers. There's ref to a bird in n out of seasons, weird, like in LF chaos is a ladder speech. LF mentions a bird. Tinfoil prob. David also said characters that seem unimportant are back and are actually very important in the story. I think Gendry, clearly will forge valyrian steel, and will go for the throne not sure how since he's not a fan of nobility. If Cersei is the yellow haired mother he remembers, it would be interesting to know how that played out bc Cersei loves her children that we know, or maybe just Jamie's. Gendry is the perfect match for Arya & it would tie things beautifully. However, there's almost a ten year age gap between the actors. A colleague of mine years ago said they pulled Gendry out to remove the age gap, lol, let time pass. Now, I think #%^# he maybe right!! Anyhow, if he is Cersei son, he may end up w the throne, after all Cersei said something like a Lannister always wins recently. In the books, Arya has a fascination w cats (lion). But- Ugh! it could be Sansa - technically it was meant to be as she was bethrothed to Robert's first born, Gendry not Geoffrey. Although, I'd rather it be Arya.

arabian

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Jbird wrote:
Ugh! it could be Sansa - technically it was meant to be as she was bethrothed to Robert's first born, Gendry not Geoffrey. Although, I'd rather it be Arya.
It was not meant to be. She was not betrothed to Robert's first born. She was betrothed specifically to Joffrey. The line from Robert: "You have a son, I have a daughter," many felt was foreshadowing Gendry and Arya since we all knew that Joffrey wasn't Robert's son.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

Ice Dragon

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Bronn Ferking wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm
I think he may end up on the iron throne, possibly with Sansa at his side (Arya his true love stolen away by death or duty). The whole thing starts again...
Hmm, there isn't enough build up of Gendry for him to be the final monarch. We must get one of the Big Five on the throne in the end, IMO. This is their story, after all.

As much as I believe that this show is not about shipping, I think Gendry might be back as a love interest for Arya.
I've always believed that he would rule the Iron Throne He will rule with Arya... Ive been saying this for years and I believe it to be true.. it will fulfill the original familial pact of a Baratheon and Stark alliance..

Ginevra- they finally brought my Ice Dragon to life.... I was wondering if we will see Ice Spiders too which was my original name used on here!!

Call me so we can discuss season... I was away for the weekend and didn't get to see the last episode until last night. Im eager to discuss with you.

Ice Dragon

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:45 pm

arabian wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm
I don't see how Arya is even remotely too far gone. She hasn't killed anyone who didn't harm or kill anyone else before her. She's actually been shown very specifically to NOT kill or harm anyone who didn't deserve it. She didn't kill the actress she was ordered to do so by the Faceless men. She didn't kill the Frey women who weren't responsible for the Red Wedding. She didn't kill the Lannister soldiers, etc. Those were VERY conscious decisions showing that Arya is not some killing machine. She also made the very conscious decision to forgo revenge and go after Cersei in King's Landing and instead went home to Winterfell once she found out her family had recaptured it. Has she killed people? Yes. Have lots and lots of characters on this show killed lots and lots of people? Yes. Even good characters doing so? Yes. Sansa tied Ramsey to a chair and watched while his dogs ate him alive and then walked away with a smile on her face. Lady Olenna horrifically poisoned Joffrey and set up Sansa and Tyrion to take the fall for it. In this world, the "good" guys kill people, really terribly. Arya does so as well and like those people, she kills only bad people. She just happens to have been trained to do so. You know, like soldiers.

So, no, she's not too far gone at all.

As for the idea of Sansa and Gendry, I don't see that at all. Of course, D&D could completely make Sansa OOC and go there, but I just don't see it. If Gendry is going to be with any Stark, it will be Arya. That has been built up from the beginning with those two. They have a history, an established relationship (in the books and on the show). Sansa has put away her dreams of love and romance and has already been married twice and isn't going to go down that road again for an alliance. And for any other reason? Sansa may not be the same selfish, spoiled girl she was from earlier seasons but Gendry--the last known living Baratheon or not--is still a bastard, and not a bastard like Jon who was raised as a Lord's son. Gendry is a bastard who grew up in Flea Bottom, manner-less, coarse and a peasant. Good-looking or not, he's a peasant and every definition of a low-born bastard. That is not someone that Sansa Stark is ever going to turn an eye to, and Sansa Stark is every kind of high born that Gendry can't stand. If there is going to be a Gendry/Stark union? It's going to be Gendry and Arya.

Oh, and Gendry coming back has been planned for a long time, it's not just fan service. In interviews, Joe Dempsie said that he was told 18 months ago that Gendry was coming back. This was most definitely planned. The fact that of the three main Baratheon bastards, the show chose to keep Gendry on the canvas and integrate Edric's story into his has always made me think that Gendry is the most important of the Baratheon bastards. He not only is Robert's bastard, but he's also connected to one of the book's main 5 characters (Arya), and a highly-regarded protege of one of the few smiths who can reforge Valyrian steel in Westeros. That the show then chose him to also take on Edric's story? That just all pointed to a bigger role when we reached the end. So, yeah.
THIS!!! I agree 1000%..... I was asking all last year about Gendry when they were talking about possible returns and NO one seemed interested in talking about his return (just jokes about him ROWING around forever- which D&D did playfully insert into the show).

Ice Dragon

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Minerva wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm
I have been wracking my brain to understand why they would bother to bring back Gendry. Fan service doesn't seem like a good enough reason. On the other hand, we do need a third dragon rider. They don't bring it up in the show, but the reason Robert Baratheon became king after the rebellion was that he was a Targaryen cousin through his grandmother. So Gendry has Targaryen blood.
It was VERY obvious Gendry would be back the question was always WHEN would he be back. Im wracking my brain NOT understanding how you could NOT have foreseen his return? I mean he was/is about the most likely person to take the Iron Throne that is NOT a main character. Im still saying he will RULE in the end.... I personally want Jon to rule but I never get my way in this show except to see my Ice Dragon brought to LIFE... snarky snark!!

Jbird

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 am

arabian wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 pm
Jbird wrote:
Ugh! it could be Sansa - technically it was meant to be as she was bethrothed to Robert's first born, Gendry not Geoffrey. Although, I'd rather it be Arya.
It was not meant to be. She was not betrothed to Robert's first born. She was betrothed specifically to Joffrey. The line from Robert: "You have a son, I have a daughter," many felt was foreshadowing Gendry and Arya since we all knew that Joffrey wasn't Robert's son.
Yeah, I thought the same, but Robert didn't know Joffrey wasn't his son. My initial thought when I heard that line after rewatching the episode was Gendry & Arya. There's only one Baratheon left on the show & two Stark females. But then my wheels started spinning... I heard the ending will be bittersweet... I hope Arya survives and ends up w Gendry.

Oh! In Beyond the Watch - is there any news as to why neither the Hound or Gendry mentioned Arya to John? Do they think she's dead? John thought she was dead. That was odd. Disappointing.

• Information