Proof of Jon's parentage

Bronn Ferking

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:13 am

Is there enough of it? Is Bran's vision going to be accepted as gospel? The record Gilly found of Rhaegar's annulment and remarriage is one thing but currently nothing exists to tie them to the child Ned brought home AFAIK (happy to be corrected). Howland Reed must finally come into play. Perhaps his wife (who according to some is actually Ashara Dayne) was the wet nurse (Meera having been born around the same time) maybe even one of the birth attendants?
Jon has achieved his destiny as king, albeit of the North, despite all the attempts Ned made to shield him. I just don't know how anyone will accept he is the trueborn heir to Westeros without more robust testimony- Bran could be written off as an attention seeking emo kid by all the pragmatic Northern lords.

Chilli

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am

I don't think Jon will go for the Iron Throne, so proof is not important. The title King in the North was given to him, despite he was a bastard. By the way the northern lord will prefer him being the son of Ned Stark, don't know if they still would want the son of Rhaegar to be King in the North. And Dany won't like it that he has a better claim to the Iron Throne. He's better of not being Rhaegar's son.

QueenofThrones

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 am

Howland reed was there and bran knows it.

Otherwise, people will believe because it just makes sense.

Bronn Ferking

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:04 pm

From the viewers POV it may well just make sense but we are in possession of info that no one in the realm apart from Bran the Bizarre and Howland has. There must be something else somewhere- a scroll down in the Winterfell crypt or something, otherwise it might be a big ask for everyone including him to take it on board.

QueenofThrones

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Bronn Ferking wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:04 pm
From the viewers POV it may well just make sense but we are in possession of info that no one in the realm apart from Bran the Bizarre and Howland has. There must be something else somewhere- a scroll down in the Winterfell crypt or something, otherwise it might be a big ask for everyone including him to take it on board.
I mean, I honestly think that Littlefinger or Varys might suspect already because it is logical objectively speaking, but currently there is no paper trail.

Soon, everyone will know these facts (the last one only if the show includes Howland). Before this, people only knew 1 and 3.

1) Lyanna and Rhaegar disappeared at the same time and were gone for close to a year
2) There is documentation that they were married in Dorne by Maester Wilkin. Observers can infer that they started to sex repeatedly at the time this document was dated (or maybe a bit before).
3) After Robert took the throne, Ned Stark and his men defeated three of Aerys' Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy and found Lyanna dead there (Ned's account)
4) A greenseer who has been confirmed by multiple accounts to be able to witness events he was not present at confirms that he saw Rhaegar and Lyanna get married (I'm assuming next episode) and Lyanna Stark giving birth to a dark haired baby boy in the Tower of Joy.
5) An eye witness account (Howland) confirms that Ned went into the tower empty handed and came out with his sisters' bloody corpse, and a newborn baby.

Once the story is actually out there, I don't think very many people will doubt it.

ETA: of course, just as always it will be doubted by some who find it politically expedient to doubt it. Because I know the characters, I don't doubt Stannis or Ned's sincerity in their belief that Joffery was a bastard, but the argument that they said it only for political gain is a compelling one. Similarly, if people begin to rally around Jon for the IT I suspect Cersei or Littlefinger or whoever will cast doubt on it.

Bronn Ferking

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Ach well...
Ned's yer uncle, Dany's yer aunt as they say.

• Information