Cleganebowl theory

CatNoir

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 pm

It occurred to me while rewatching S07E07 this evening, that The Mountain is now basically a wight (or at least undead). Fire kills wights. Sandor will kill his brother by conquering his fear of fire.
You (possibly) heard it here first! ;)

Dornish Gourmand

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 am

Similarly, it's been theorized (at least I recall seeing it a few places) that Sandor will eventually kill his brother with Valyrian steel, ala Heartsbane.

evenwind

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am

I don't think we'll see a real Cleganebowl. My guess (based on nothing at all) is that the two of them will wind up fighting back to back, while being overwhelmed by wights.

onefromaway

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

evenwind wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am
I don't think we'll see a real Cleganebowl. My guess (based on nothing at all) is that the two of them will wind up fighting back to back, while being overwhelmed by wights.
I like this, because there is only one war or fight right now in the show and it is against the dead. Everything else is unimportant. (But they do have 6 long episodes to fill so maybe we will see some of the unimportant stuff....)

Also, I like the "my guess, based on nothing at all." It summarizes most of my rational for any predictions or theories for GOT! :)

evenwind

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 pm

onefromaway wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Also, I like the "my guess, based on nothing at all." It summarizes most of my rational for any predictions or theories for GOT! :)
:mrgreen:

JDuck

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 pm

The Mountain is killed. No question. "You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known," the Hound says. While others debate the who, I ask instead how has the Mountain always known?
As we now know, the Hound has the power of vision from the Lord of Light. When they were children, Sandor saw the Mountain's death in the fire. He made the mistake of telling his brother what he'd seen in the flames. Gregor reacted badly. Unhappy with the prediction, he shoved his brother's head into the fire to get a better look and perhaps see something different.
Obviously this couldn't have been the Sandor's first vision or it wouldn't have been heeded. The Hound must have accurately seen another death in the flames (likely their sister, and likely at the hands of Gregor). The brothers thus had reason to believe Sandor's prediction. That is how the Hound was burned. And why. It wasn't about a toy. (Unless it was a toy dragon, and Sandor was acting out what he saw.... but that's just wishful thinking).
Now the question still remains of who. It is absolutely possible the Hound saw in the flames that he'd kill his brother. But even more infuriating to Gregor might be death by a small Stark girl, a presumed dead Targaryen offspring, an extinct dragon, a vengeful Septa, or Azor Ahai himself. But it is also possible the Night King is who is coming for him. Remember the Hound did say "coming for," not "kill". As The Mountain is already dead anyway, the phrase "coming for" can mean something far worse than death.
My prediction: The Hound is Azor Ahai. He forges the sword Lightbringer in the heart of his brother, who he does love after all. More than anyone else at any rate. (Did Gregor engender his brother's hate purposely to make it easier on the Hound to kill him?) The death occurs moments after the Mountain accesses his last remaining shred of humanity to save the Hound's life from the Night King. (Bonus points if an undead Septa Unella comes into play at any point.)

Lyannabanna

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 pm

I think Arya and The Hound will join up again and head to KL. Their official mission is to steal massive quantities of wildfire to take back to WF. They volunteer so they can work on their To-Kill Lists:

She will kill Qyburn, wear his face and then kill Cercei (poison potion prescribed after her miscarriage?).

Once Qyburn is dead, will The Mountain instantly croak like wights do when their WW is killed? I don't think so cuz he couldn't have "always known" this twist and Sandor must be in charge for a satisfactory story arc.

He will kill Gregor, maybe with wildfire.*
Maybe this is why he was so super-scared at the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

*Interesting… The computer I use for browsing is not equipped with sound (personal preference). So when I re-watch scenes on youtube, I enable closed captions. In the Dragon Pit scene, sometimes Sandor's line reads, "You know WHO's coming for you." Other times, "WHAT's coming." Either way, GC is outta here.

Production news reports that something will happen at the Riverrun set:

1) On the way north, A&S will see Edmure or learn his whereabouts (Hot Pie central). When they tell him about the Real War, he will outgrow his wimpy-ness, join them and unite the Frey troops plus any surviving Tully prisoners at RR. Later, he will and do something very important.

2) Jaime (Bronn too!) may have done the RR recruitment job earlier.

Even tho I like this scenario, think that Euron will kill Cercei.

jpknitt

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 am

Season 7 gave us a lot of fan service, handing us things we've been clamoring for for a while (although a lot of people then got mad at the pacing and how things seemed to be suddenly so close...but I digress).

If Season 8 continues that trend then we will most certainly see a Cleganebowl...however it likely won't go as we expect it. I do like the theory that it will be Arya that kills the Mountain and that the Hound actually saw it in the fire as a child and THAT'S why his face got shoved in (I mean, how DARE I get killed by a weakly girl!=Machismo BS that the Mountain represents). So I think the brothers will fight to a draw again (just like at the tournament) and something...or someone...else will finish the fight.

Oh...and they're both totally going to die.

....OOOOH! Maybe Sandor conquers his fear of fire by dragging the corpse of Gregor INTO A FIRE to kill him?!?

• Information