Spot the random GOT actor

Dame of Mercia

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 pm

The Grandmaester mentioned a show Samantha Spiro had been upthread. The same actress (mother Tarley) played Angela Merkel's (Tracey Ullman) right-hand woman in a sketch show featuring one of the worst (to me at least) pop songs of the 1980s. https://youtu.be/7VjpIjxgPSY I don't have a clip but she also played Emilia Clarke's character's (I think) mother in the film Me Before You. Charles Dance (Tywin) was in that film too.

Grandmaester Flash

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 am

Quite a few GoT alumni popped up in Chernobyl, which also shared the same casting team. I noticed

Maester Luwin
Dagmer Cleftjaw
Lord Commander Mormont
Pyp from the Nights Watch
Roose Bolton
Jory Cassel
Shagga son of Dolf :P

Billy Postlethwaite was a Lannister soldier and one of the reactor engineers
Laura Elphinstone was in 'The Bells' as the mother with child, plays similar part here.
I may have missed some!

Dame of Mercia

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:26 am

It's not a very good quality clip but NCW in his pre-GOT days played a baddie in a film called "My Name is Modesty" (based on Modesty Blaise the UK comic strip character). I saw the film on TV some time ago - it was one of those films which were okay but not great. https://youtu.be/bX4qto_KN7U

Grandmaester Flash

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:50 am

I saw the film 'Blinded By The Light' the other day. Dean Charles Chapman (Tommen) was in it.
Also a young actress who looked familiar but who I couldn't quite place. It was Eliza Williams who played the young Cersei in the scene where she went to consult Maggy The Frog.

Dame of Mercia

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm

On a history blog I sometimes visit someone had mentioned that in days of yore dog droppings were considered a very good ingredient when it came to the tanning of leather. It reminded me of something I read in Henry Mayhew's "London's Poor" (a contemporary account of London's poor in the nineteenth century) and also of a show that was broadcast in 1997 (so before the birth of some of the younger visitors to this site - or at least they would have been very young). I don't remember it awfully well. It was called "Drovers' Gold" and I remember a young boy pushing someone and then running away and living rough on the streets of (nineteenth century) London. He befriended a girl of about his own age and they collected dog droppings from the street to make a living. I looked the programme up on IMDb (as I say my memory is somewhat sketchy) and Robert Pugh (Craster) was in it playing a character called Handl and Francis Magee (Yoren) played a character called Irish. One review of the programme said it also featured a young Ray Stevenson (not in GoT but played Pullo in "Rome"). I can't find any clips of the show on YouTube unfortunately.

Dame of Mercia

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:49 am

I don't think the film has been aired (or has it even been made yet) but Kit Harington and Richard Madden will both be in The Eternals. I like Emilia Clarke but there's always one and I'm the one who doesn't and never did like Wham's music (I used to call them the gruesome twosome) so I'm in two minds whether I will bother seeing her in forthcoming romantic comedy Last Christmas. It has the eponymously named Wham song as part of the title track. I don't have Amazon Prime or know anyone I can start dropping hints about watching any shows on that medium so I may have to miss Indira Varma in Carnival Row. I don't know the source material but I saw a trailer and it had a steampunk sort of look.

Dame of Mercia

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 am

Ian McShane (Brother Ray) was recently in an episode of "Law and Order:SVU" as a creepy casting director using the proverbial casting couch. https://youtu.be/Lz36LO-9tS0 I don't think it's been confirmed yet but there's a rumour that Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) might have been cast in the forthcoming "Wheel of Time" series. I must stress that it is only a rumour based on a blurry look at an actor in the read through for the first episode.

Grandmaester Flash

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:37 am

I'm currently enjoying watching The Last Kingdom (which does include your namesake!). There are a lot of Scandinavian actors in it, and one I recognised is Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson (I had to look that up of course!) who was Lem Lemoncloak in GoT. Also Marc Rissman (Harry Strickland) made an appearance.

I am only halfway through, so will keep an eye out for any more familiar faces.

BTW There is some interest in the main page comments about making more use of the forum, but people are having problems registering.

Dame of Mercia

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 am

This isn't actually a different part but here from 2013 is Carice van Houten as Carice van Houten singing a cover of Kate Bush's "Cloudbusting". I like her voice.

https://youtu.be/YCgP4dmRIL0

Grandmaester, the registration problems must have been something relatively new because back when I signed up for the forums (fora?) I had no problem.

Dame of Mercia

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:56 am

I haven't read Wheel of Time but Michael McElhatton (Roose) has been confirmed as playing someone called Tam in the TV series.

• Information