The winds of winter release date

Open discussion of TWOW sample chapters and all the books!
the grey lion

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 am

So guys, we're all waiting for this sixth book, but how much time does GRRM still need to finish it? That's what We know so far: He said that TWOW and ADOS will be both 1500+ pages long, so the longest ASOIAF books. In April 2011, GRRM hoped that "the last two books will go a little quicker than this one has" and estimated that it would take "three years to finish the next one at a good pace".By October 2012, 400 pages of the sixth novel had been written, although He considered only the first 200 as "really finished", the rest still needing revisions. In April 2013, Martin estimated that he had a quarter of the book. In January 2014, Martin's UK publisher, Jane Johnson, declared on Twitter that the book would "certainly" not be published before 2015. In September 2014 Johnson stated that the book was "not a 2015 release", a statement she repeated in January 2015. In April 2015 GRRM commented on Not a Blog that The Winds of Winter will not be eligible for the 2016 Hugo Award which is awarded for science fiction or fantasy works of the previous year but he also said he would like to have it published before the sixth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones (which would cover material from the book) aired in 2016. In Autumn 2015, statements made by the Spanish editor and the Polish translator of the novel indicated that it was expected to be published in 2016.
In early January 2016, Martin confirmed that he had not met an end-of-year deadline that he had established with his publisher for release of the book before the sixth season of GoT. He added that there was "a lot still left to write" and that completion of the book was "months away still... if the writing goes well". Martin also revealed there had been a previous deadline of October 2015 that he had considered achievable in May 2015, and that in September 2015 he had still considered the end-of-year deadline achievable. In February 2016, Martin stated that he had dropped all his editing projects except for Wild Cards, and that he would not be writing any teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter.
On January 10, 2017, Martin announced on his blog in a response to a comment that he believed that The Winds of Winter will be released "this year", referring to 2017. However, he also noted that he believed the same thing would occur the previous year. He confirmed on his blog that he was still working on The Winds of Winter as of May 14, 2017, and continues now.
Yeah we have 8 chapters that he read or published on his blog, from 8 different POVs: Victarion, Aeron, Tyrion, Barristan, Arianne, Theon, Mercy (Arya), and Alayne (Sansa).
I really can't bear anymore this waiting.. But what can We do!? The last year I predicted TWOW out in 2017 but I don't think I was right (despite GRRM words..).. What do you guys think about the TWOW release date?

Joel Needs a Car

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 am

End of 2018 earliest. Best case scenario 1 year to finish writing then more proof-reading and editing for say three months before ready to publish.

Pure guesswork of course.
AKA: Ser Not Appearing in this Series

Flayed Potatoes

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.... then and only then will TWOW come out.

Chilli

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 am

If it comes out before the last season of GOT, I'm going to read 'Winds of Winter' because otherwise I will be spoiled here on Watchers on the wall. If not, I might wait until 'A dream of spring' comes out. Because I hate to read something without being sure if there will ever be an ending/a conclusion to all the mysteries.

Meg22

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 am

I've given up. If it comes, it comes. At least we get some resolution from the TV show. My fear is that even when it comes out it could be several years for the next one.

QueenofThrones

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 am

I am not optimistic. If 'winds does come out before Season 8 I am going to try very hard to not read it until the series is over. At this point, I don't want another book to spoil my enjoyment of the final season. I very much enjoyed season 6 of 'thrones not knowing what would happen or worrying about "how will they adapt this moment" or "why didn't they do that moment" as with previous seasons.
Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.... then and only then will TWOW come out.
QFT! :lol:

Wimsey

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:33 pm

At this point, I do not think that it will come out before the TV series is done. Given that there is next to no chance that Martin will finish the final book, and given how much the quality of the writing deteriorated in the last two books relative to the first three (although Dragons was a hell of a lot better than Crows), I'm not even certain I will read the book at this point. (I certainly will not make time to read them!)
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Valyrian Vlinder

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 pm

It's a sad situation, really... I'm sure back when he signed the deal with HBO he was sure he'd have the entire series done with. I'm just a tad worried it ends up another Frank Herbert situation.... I'm sure The Winds of Winter will be released, but A Dream of Spring? Genuinely concerned. And The Dunk and Egg Tales, I am not expecting anything at all :cry:

Well, now I'm depressed.

HelenCarnate

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Meg22 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 am
I've given up. If it comes, it comes. At least we get some resolution from the TV show. My fear is that even when it comes out it could be several years for the next one.
I'm right there with you. I've been down this road w/ GRRM too many times before (I met him at a con back when he was wearing his "No AFfC isn't done" hat :roll: ). I feel like I lucked out with the Wheel of Time coming to a satisfactory conclusion following Jordan's passing. I've accepted that I will never get book closure for ASoIaF and am thankful that I'll at least get show closure.
Team Targaryen since 1997 | Twitter: @helencarnatenh

odvesims

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm

I think the pressure was ON GRRM to release TWOW before the series could catch up to him. The minute that was out of question (over a year ago), he gave up on the urgency and I think he's going to release when he feels it's 100% finished. I think the story got out of hands when he expanded the POVs and all the complexity the last 2 books brought in. It took thousands of pages to create this monster that was AFFC and ADOD, it's gonna take THOUSANDS to slay such monster. Despite what Ned's been saying for years, THIS winter is not coming. At least not anytime soon.

• Information