AGOT special edition

Discussion of the first 5 books in George RR Martin's ASOIAF series
WOLFGANG

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am

I have an extremely rare edition of AGOT and I thought I'd share news of it to see what people think. Back before season one was aired and ADWD was about to be released, GRRM's UK publisher made a few special copies of AGOT to be 'congratulations' gifts for a few people. One went to GRRM, one to his agent, one to each of his editors etc, 6 in total. One sample was made first before the rest were ordered, to check the materials and final specifications were up to standard. This is the copy I have and it is identical in every way to the other 6.
So only 7 were ever made. It's an incredibly handsome volume, bound in black leather in a matching presentation box, wolf head design in three foils (white, silver and red) on the book and box, silver endpapers and the edges of the pages gilded in silver.
I obviously kept hold of this very special edition keeping it in perfect condition. I've included a couple of pics, nice don't you think? I'm going to auction it off I think, just not sure how yet. eBay probably isn't the best place for something like this. Does anyone have any advice?
Attachments
IMG_726.jpg
IMG_726.jpg (132.67 KiB) Viewed 73192 times
IMG_725.jpg
IMG_725.jpg (118.36 KiB) Viewed 73192 times
IMG_723.jpg
IMG_723.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 73192 times

Raeslewolhn

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Sweet. If it's real, hold onto that shit! It'll be worth way more in a decade or a few. GoT is an historical phenomenon, like Star Wars.

WOLFGANG

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 am

You may have a point. It very deservedly has quite a legion of fans.

Raeslewolhn

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:20 am

WOLFGANG wrote:
Def deservedly! A few season premieres broke viewing records. It broke Emmy records. It might be the most DLd show too. Not to mention the wide range of demographics that most shows don't hit altogether. Amazing book series origin, revolutionary TV, amazing Cinema. It's hard to match.

Honestly, I never thought I'd be a part of something so ubiquitous. I usually like fringe culture, scifi and shows that get cancelled. I'm still mourning Firefly some days. (I liked Lost, but only tried it after it ended).

It's nice something so g33ky gets the recognition it deserves.

Not Littlefinger

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Raeslewolhn wrote:
WOLFGANG wrote:
Def deservedly! A few season premieres broke viewing records. It broke Emmy records. It might be the most DLd show too. Not to mention the wide range of demographics that most shows don't hit altogether. Amazing book series origin, revolutionary TV, amazing Cinema. It's hard to match.

Honestly, I never thought I'd be a part of something so ubiquitous. I usually like fringe culture, scifi and shows that get cancelled. I'm still mourning Firefly some days. (I liked Lost, but only tried it after it ended).

The demographic range is the coolest part. I've met people from at least a few different countries who enjoy the show(some countries which I didn't even recognize,) not to mention cultures, ages and backgrounds. It's pretty amazing really.

Raeslewolhn

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm
Raeslewolhn wrote:
WOLFGANG wrote:

The demographic range is the coolest part. I've met people from at least a few different countries who enjoy the show(some countries which I didn't even recognize,) not to mention cultures, ages and backgrounds. It's pretty amazing really.
Yeah, that's my go-to pt about why GoT is special

Dame of Mercia

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 pm

I think you should hang on to it (unless you really need the money). Sometimes it's nice just to have something, well...nice.

Changing the subject slightly, does anyone know if the tandem read of AFFC and ADWD is worth the effort? I don't usually reread books but while I didn't hate either AFFC or ADWD I'd be disingenuous if I said I found them as gripping as the first 3 ASOIAF volumes. For all that the show GoT has become something of a juggernaut I don't know that many people in real life who watch the show. I have read somewhere on the internet that people who read the two latest published volumes of ASOIAF found they flowed a bit smoother when read in tandem.

Grandmaester Flash

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

I definitely recommend reading the spliced-together version. When I found out that it existed, I'd read about a quarter of AFFC, and had no hesitation in dropping that and starting again with the combined version.

It won't surprise me at all if the two books are published in that form in the future. In my opinion this is how they should have appeared, in an ideal world.

Dame of Mercia

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

Grandnaester, I see I never acknowledged your advice about the tandem read. Sorry.

• Information