What should I watch between Seasons 7 and 8?

Anything goes!
Not Littlefinger

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Obviously, I will be rewatching Thrones at some point, like I always do. But I've heard that Season 8 might be delayed until 2019. If that's the case, I'm going to need other TV shows to get into. A few people have recommended Breaking Bad, so I might give that a go. Does anyone have any favorite shows that they would recommend to a GoT fan?

I will admit, I am rather picky when it comes to TV. Game of Thrones and Westworld are two of my favorites, so anything similar to those would probably strike my favor. Please help, I need something to watch!

evenwind

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm

(Just noticed this thread)

I'd recommend:

The Last Kingdom - very GoT but without magic
Marco Polo - more about Kublai than Marco. Grand vistas, politics, battles
The Expanse - GoT in space - politics, battles, "magical" mystery
Vikings - actually I've only seen one episode so far, but so far, so good.
Fortitude - Beric Dondarrion - well, Richard Dormer - again freezing his ass of in the far North. Mysterious deaths in the snow.

Not Littlefinger

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:36 pm

evenwind wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm
(Just noticed this thread)

I'd recommend:

The Last Kingdom - very GoT but without magic
Marco Polo - more about Kublai than Marco. Grand vistas, politics, battles
The Expanse - GoT in space - politics, battles, "magical" mystery
Vikings - actually I've only seen one episode so far, but so far, so good.
Fortitude - Beric Dondarrion - well, Richard Dormer - again freezing his ass of in the far North. Mysterious deaths in the snow.
Can't say I've heard of many of those, but I will look into them all! Thanks!

Dornish Gourmand

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:54 am

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad definitely do yourself a favor and watch that.
(Its spin-off series, Better Call Saul is also phenomenal television.)

It's an older HBO series but have you seen Deadwood? If you enjoy slow burning character based drama then I'm sure you'll like it.

I personally couldn't get into Black Sails, Vikings, The Expanse, or The Last Kingdom... just didn't have the quality of writing and acting that I've come to expect.

Lastly, Stranger Things and Black Mirror if you haven't already seen those.

Not Littlefinger

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Dornish Gourmand wrote:
If you haven't seen Breaking Bad definitely do yourself a favor and watch that.
(Its spin-off series, Better Call Saul is also phenomenal television.)

It's an older HBO series but have you seen Deadwood? If you enjoy slow burning character based drama then I'm sure you'll like it.

I personally couldn't get into Black Sails, Vikings, The Expanse, or The Last Kingdom... just didn't have the quality of writing and acting that I've come to expect.

Lastly, Stranger Things and Black Mirror if you haven't already seen those.
Deadwood- I've came across it a few times but never really thought too much about it. I'll give it a go when I renew my HBO subscription for "Westworld."

Black Mirror- I've also had recommended to me, and I've heard it's popular among "Westworld" fans as well. I'll have to see.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cliohna

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:05 am

Because it's still a long way to go 'til Season 8, I also have one or two suggestions for you. But firstly I second the recommendation of The Expanse. :)

My own suggestions include a mini-series called Altered Carbon, it's also a Sci-Fi show and if you like futuristic stuff and intrigue, you will probably enjoy watching it at least twice ;) , and a series I have not watched yet, but I plan to: The Terror. Starring Tobias Menzies (Edmure Tully) and Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder). It's about a lost expedition to the Arctic in 1845–1848.

Edit: And if you don't mind subtitles, watch the German Netflix show Dark, it's a Sci-Fi thriller praised for the complexity of its narrative.

2nd Edit: Oh and The Man in the High Castle is also very good. Like the Expanse and The Terror it's a book adaptation. It is about an alternate historical timeline (hint: Nazis!). Starring Rufus Sewell, which I loved since A Knight's Tale (which, yes, also has our good old Bobby B.: Mark Addy in it). :roll: :D
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Wow, I don't know where these come from that The Expanse fell short of said expectations...that's some massive shade and a real head-scratcher. If The Expanse is not your cup of tea, that's fair enough (I mean, hey, all of the other shows mentioned are very different from The Expanse, not space Sci-Fi). But I think personally and generally (great ratings) The Expanse is a high quality show and has stellar writing and acting. Even "our very own" GRRM recently posted about The Expanse on his blog (he reported that it was axed, but a few days later it was already picked up by Amazon). And I agree with him that it is one of the best space Sci Fi shows, and arguably the best ever. Go figure.

• Information