A Bittersweet Prediction

Home of Spoiler-Free Unsullied Discussion!
AzorAhai

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 pm

A prediction for George R.R. Martins 'bittersweet' ending to Game of Thrones / ASOIAF series

- all remaining westorosi house leaders (including cerci / house Lannister) vow to unite to march north & fight the army of the dead

- at the last minute cerci betrays the united human army and doesn't send the Lannister forces north

- Dawn, the sword of House Dayne is found by Jon Snow in the Winterdell crypts with a little help from bran. With the sword is a letter from Ned which outlines Jons true parentage, details of neds promise to Lyanna and jons true destiny - that he is Azor Ahai reborn. Bran confirms this to Jon.

- the letter also reveals to Jon that this aincent sword is unlike any other. It is not valerian steel but a unique 'supernatural' metal forged from a meteorite that was forged at the time of the long night.

- Dawn is the legendry 'lightbringer' And Jon is Azor Ahai reborn, the prince that was promised, the very song of stark ice & targeryan fire.

- now armed with Dawn/Lightbringer Jon gifts longclaw to Jorah Mormont, who's father had gifted it to him

- The united human army are no match for the army of the dead & its enormous ice dragons. They suffer several heavy defeats. Dany and her fire dragons all die as do most of the key characters and many thousands of men. The united human army are all but wiped out.

- Jon Snow snatches victory from the jaws of defeat after an ambitious solo suicide mission ( with bran guiding him ) to sneak behind enemy lines and kill the night king. As a (fire) wight himself jon goes undetected by the army of the dead before Facing & beating several white walkers and the night king in single combat using Dawn/Lightbringer.
at this point the now enormous army of the dead crumble to dust. Jon is mortally wounded in his battle with the night king and dies for good this time. He is not resurrected.

- the battle has taken a terrible toll on the united human army. the armies from the houses who honoured thier oath are all but wiped out while the betrayers of house Lannister are now stronger than ever and now have little remaining threat, living or dead.

- Cerci sends her army north and slaughters all opposers including any remaining starks in a brutal & ruthless manner. She now has complete undisputable control over the seven kingdoms.

- Tyrion is captured and returned to the red keep where he will be tortured indefinitely

- Cerci the betrayer as she becomes known
Remains on the iron throne, queen of the seven kingdoms as the story ends in its bittersweet finale

Raeslewolhn

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Close to my thoughts but too bitter. Imho

Meg22

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 pm

It makes the Dany storyline superfluous. Arya does nothing either. Chekhov wouldn't approve.

trarecar

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:03 pm

You're forgetting about the prophecy. Cercei won't make it to the end.

Bronn Ferking

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Was wondering myself tonight if Jon's resurrected status afforded him any protection. Bittersweet definitely means some favourites will die, but hoping not Jon or Gendry.

Raeslewolhn

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 am

trarecar wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:03 pm
You're forgetting about the prophecy. Cercei won't make it to the end.
Meg22 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 pm
It makes the Dany storyline superfluous. Arya does nothing either. Chekhov wouldn't approve.
Bronn Ferking wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 pm
Was wondering myself tonight if Jon's resurrected status afforded him any protection. Bittersweet definitely means some favourites will die, but hoping not Jon or Gendry.
All these things. Which points to the expected Cersei death via valonquar, and then success of Dany and Jon but one dies very close to the end.

So really it's just the points about Cersei, in the original post, that doesn't fit common GoT knowledge/canon, but it seems like a reasonable plot if it's sooner, in a different order.

Dawnbringer

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:32 am

Hey Hey all

My first time posting anything. I am a newbie.

My bittersweet prediction is not so much a prediction more like a Tone on how the ending should be like to me. I know GRRm is a fan of LoTR ending type. I was thinking something like Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan would be better in that movie style and use of archtypes and themes.

For me Cersei is much like Khan Noonien Singh who is who obsessed with vengeance for loss of family and her world and want to destroy Daenerys and Tyrion by any means. To quote R. Montalban about Khan "a good villain does not see himself as villainous. The villain may do villainous things, but he feels that he is doing them for righteous reasons. no one is completely good or completely evil; while Khan had a rather distorted view of reality and therefore performed acts of evil, he still felt that his vengeance was a noble cause because of the death of his wife" In case of Cersei the loss of her mother, father, three children, defection of her brother, and loss of her homeland and household.

Kirk is like Daenerys is emotion driven, deep inside I believe she does not want to be a ruler like Kirk (Spock pointed out ) made mistake to become an Admiral. Spock is John Snow who puts honor and keeping his word above all others. John Snow is will face a real "Kobayashi Maru" for himself in order save Daenerys, Tyrion and the others from Cersei or the Night King. (I prefer Cersei in this situation) makes for more drama. For example Cersei, destroy the Red Keep and pretty much Kings landing.

In the very end, Cersei Lannister to show how evil she is even in defeat, she will make sure that she inflicted a huge emotional wound upon Dany and Tyrion and in ruins. All that is left, is Daeneys with her child having a Dream of Spring, a better world than the one they left walking amoung the ruins of King's Landing, Red Keep, the throne is destroyed. That would be Bittersweet.

• Information