Any thoughts on readers/voice actors for ASOIAF/GoT?

Open discussion of TWOW sample chapters and all the books!
Dame of Mercia

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:02 am

Since the passing of the late, great Roy Dotrice I've been thinking about voice actors who could carry the torch when hopefully WoW is published or if a radio dramatisation of ASOIAF were ever to be made. One possibility I considered was British voice actor Gabriel Woolf (not Gabriel Wolf - that is somebody completely different). Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on the internet of his reading of classics such as Far From the Madding Crowd or Boodenbrooks which I heard him read a long time ago. I found something about him reading some words of the Spanish guitarist Joaquin Rodrigo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6W8rIl0e5g and in lighter vein, a bit silly really but it's kind of fun a comedy video of "Sutekh's post-Dr Who Career" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xnU2BNryo
I found it funny but it is quite British humour and British humour doesn't always travel well overseas.

Not a voice actor per se, but I liked the quality of the actor who played the part of Mr Ibis in American Gods. His name is Demore Barnes. Other than American Gods I can't recall seeing him in anything off hand.

I mentioned on one of the threads today that Tom Wlaschia had a voice that I thought would suit radio broadcasting, but I guess you could say that for a lot of the GoT actors (going by the History and Lore extras). I'm not a "gamer" but if a reading of ASOIAF books was ever recorded with different actors/actresses reading the POV characters (i.e. assigning a person to a POV character) I suppose one could consider voice-actors who provide the voiceovers in video games. There is a company called "Big Finish Productions" that does audio productions https://www.bigfinish.com/ - some of their actors are veterans but not exclusively - looks like they've got Walder Frey (David Bradley) voice-acting in an audio adaptation of the very early (1960s) Dr Who adventures in 2018. Maybe some of the actors that work for them might be suitable.

But those are just my thoughts. I've mostly gone with British people because I'm based in the UK and that's what I know but I'd be interested to know if any other people have any suggestions (not necessarily British actors).

Chilli

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 pm

For me Iain Glenn (Jorah) has the best voice! I loved it when he was reciting the poem about the doom of Valyria.
Richard Dormer (Beric) also has a nice voice.
And I loved the voice of Old Nan when she was telling Bran about the White Walkers. Unfortunately the lady who played her has died.

Grandmaester Flash

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Love Iain Glenn's voice, but for me the clear winner is Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton.

zukester

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

Roy Dotrice willl be hard to replace, he made it easy to tell who was 'speaking ' in the books, and that's not always a talent easily translated from regular acting.

I think Rob Inglis who narrated the Lord of the Rings books would be a good choice, but he's nearly as old as Roy Dotrice was, and I would guess won't be around long enough to do tWoW, let alone aDoS.

Ditto My next Choice, Sir Ian Holm, (Bilbo from LoTR), Who has experience in both book narration and radio, but he's even older than Rob Inglis (Though still not as old as Roy was).

Finally, in the interest of someone who will probably be around long enough to do the last two books, even if they have to be written by someone other than George.. I vote Rory McCann, just cause I love his ability to deliver a line...
Last edited by zukester on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zukester

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:21 pm

One other thought, John Bradley could read all of them, if the books/scripts were tweaked just a bit to make it Samwell Tarley's reading of his own books, as some have theorized he's going to be revealed as the writer of a series of books chronicling the events of the whole series in A Dream of Spring...

Dame of Mercia

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 pm

I wasn't sure if anyone would respond to this thread and I'm glad to see there have been a few comments. Zukester (hope I have the name right) mentioned Ian Holm. I'm old enough to have gone with the school to see him playing the title role in Richard III with the RSC at Stratford-upon-Avon er...a long time ago. Yes, he does have a good voice and (well you may know this but I'll say it anyway just in case not) he voiced Frodo Baggins in a 1981 BBC radio production. I never "got into" the book of Lord of the Rings but did listen to some of the radio episodes (not all).

All of the actors mentioned thus far by people have solid voices though to be fair (in my opinion at least).

Mercedes

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 am

I think Rob Inglis who narrated the Lord of the Rings books would be a good choice, but he's nearly as old as Roy Dotrice was, and I would guess won't be around long enough to do tWoW, let alone aDoS
Love mega-joker-slot.com
 here only

• Information