The winds of winter release date

Open discussion of TWOW sample chapters and all the books!
Wimsey

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:03 am

odvesims wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm
I think the pressure was ON GRRM to release TWOW before the series could catch up to him. The minute that was out of question (over a year ago), he gave up on the urgency and I think he's going to release when he feels it's 100% finished.
I would add to this that often times when one gives up on a deadline, one's rate of productivity declines horribly. When you are racing against the clock, you tend to really burn on all cylinders, and the need to finish gives you the adrenaline to keep going. Once you realize that it's a lost cause, the adrenaline stops and the crash often is huge. I have been through that a couple of times, and it is a miserable experience: and rates of productivity decline when misery is high.
odvesims wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm
Despite what Ned's been saying for years, THIS winter is not coming. At least not anytime soon.
heh, by the time GRRM does get it out, people might not remember what winter is anymore! :D
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Joel Needs a Car

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 am

Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...
http://grrm.livejournal.com/544709.html

Well I wouldn't put money on it yet!
AKA: Ser Not Appearing in this Series

Nymeria

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.... then and only then will TWOW come out.
Lol! My favourite response to this whole thread! :)

I did toy with waiting for the show to finish even if the book comes out first... and then I can concentrate on the true story from GRRM but my resolve would last about 2 minutes before I crack the front cover.... I'm just going to take whatever ASOIAF content I can get, in whatever form it comes in.

(This is my first post on this forum, Hi *waves*)

Wimsey

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Nymeria wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 pm
and then I can concentrate on the true story from GRRM but my resolve would last about 2 minutes before I crack the front cover....
The stories are going to be the same: it's only going to be trivial details that will differ. However, and as Martin himself stresses, there is no "what really happened."
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

domrob

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 am

There was a news item recently that indicated that HBO was not releasing the final season of GOT (6 ninety minute episodes) until 2019. I'm not sure how authentic the story was, and have since forgotten where I read it. But if true, we may get WOW before the next season. And seriously, stop pretending you won't all read it as soon as it arrives.

Grandmaester Flash

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 pm

domrob wrote:
stop pretending you won't all read it as soon as it arrives.
I'll be in no hurry to read it.
Ideally I would borrow it from the library, but I read slow these days, and I wouldn't get very far before I had to return it (there would be a waiting list, so no renewals).
So I would wait for the paperback anyway.

Not Littlefinger

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 pm

domrob wrote:
There was a news item recently that indicated that HBO was not releasing the final season of GOT (6 ninety minute episodes) until 2019. I'm not sure how authentic the story was, and have since forgotten where I read it. But if true, we may get WOW before the next season. And seriously, stop pretending you won't all read it as soon as it arrives.
Where did you hear that the episodes would be 90 minutes? I've heard the 2019 speculation, but not that one.

Wimsey

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 pm

domrob wrote:
And seriously, stop pretending you won't all read it as soon as it arrives.
Well, after the show ends, the series is going to drop off of a lot of our radars pretty quickly. It also will fall off of the radar of popular culture pretty quickly. A lot of people who now watch the show religiously might not even hear about the release if it comes out too much after the show ends. And, let's face it: if GRRM ever gets around to getting out the last book, it almost certainly will be with the same sort of whimper that met the release of the last Robert Jordan books.
A. P. Chehkov

Wimsey

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 pm

It's the 5th of January, dammit! I am entitled to my annual "No, I'm still not done with Winds of Winter but I hope to be by the end of the year" statement!
;) :mrgreen:
A. P. Chehkov

Dame of Mercia

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am

To be honest I haven't been that struck on the pre-released WoW chapters (well the Arya one was okay and it was [sort of] used in the show) though I haven't read all of them. Yes, I'd like to know the ending but I'm past the stage when I first got drawn in by the show version and then moved on to the books where I was really eager to find out what happened next.. There's some speculation that the pre-released chapters were left over from ADWD anyway and I heard somewhere that it's believed that book Dany will spend most of WoW wandering round Essos with the Dothraki; I'm fed up of book Dany in Essos to be truthful and although part of me was sorry Arianne was cut from the show do we really need quite so much of her and Elia meandering hither and thither. I'd like to know what happens with Jaime and LS but I'm not waiting with baited breath.

• Information