Meera's knowledge

Stark Raving Mad

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Does anyone else find it odd that there was no conversation between Meera and Sansa? Bran shows up at Winterfell, gets a hug, and later tells Sansa that he is the Three-Eyed Raven, but that it is too complicated to explain. "He has visions", she says to Arya. Meanwhile, Meera was there for at least a couple of days, right? She knows everything that Bran went through, including the death of Hodor and Summer, the meetings with the Children of the Forest, the Three-Eyed Raven before Bran, the strength of the White Walkers and wights, and that Benjen Stark is a half-wight. :D You would think Sansa would be curious enough to ask a question or two of the girl who kept her brother alive for years. I feel that the speed with which the show is racing to the end-game is sacrificing some crucial conversations. I have read other's comments about not showing Theon react to Ramsay's death, or having Arya react to Rickon's. I love the show, but it does seem to be giving up the character interactions that have been so instrumental in making it great in order to hurry up and finish. Maybe they just can't do the details of this epic saga justice without GRRM. Thoughts?

Grandmaester Flash

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm

But we know all this already, because we saw it happen. Having this sort of exposition scene would not be advancing the story, it would just be repetition. We can assume that the story has been told off-screen.

We may yet get some nods to Rickon, Ramsay etc. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

evenwind

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Still, it would have been nice to see Meera in new clothes. At least then it would have been easier to assume that she had some kind of interaction with the Starks.

Stark Raving Mad

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am

By using the logic that we, the viewers, have already seen these things happen and therefore do not need to see the facts explained to other characters, it then follows that we do not need to see Jon Snow find out about his parents. I do understand the point about not moving the story forward in the sense that we already know, but I think the reactions of the characters to the knowledge and experiences of other characters is crucial to the story arc. Perhaps Sansa would take the threat of the Night King more seriously if she heard it from Meera too. Sansa would also benefit from a more comprehensive understanding of the Three-Eyed Raven. Just like if Jon described to Dany what happened at Hardhome, perhaps she would think twice about her "Bend the knee" obsession and realize that nobody is going to survive if she doesn't help the North. Even if the conversations didn't happen on screen, but were referred to later by the characters, I think it would bring more realism to the characters' human qualities, like wanting to know more about huge threats or their siblings experiences since they last saw them. I saw no evidence that any of these conversations were had off screen. That is what puzzles me.

But mine is just one perspective.

evenwind

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Stark Raving Mad wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am
By using the logic that we, the viewers, have already seen these things happen and therefore do not need to see the facts explained to other characters, it then follows that we do not need to see Jon Snow find out about his parents. I do understand the point about not moving the story forward in the sense that we already know, but I think the reactions of the characters to the knowledge and experiences of other characters is crucial to the story arc. Perhaps Sansa would take the threat of the Night King more seriously if she heard it from Meera too. Sansa would also benefit from a more comprehensive understanding of the Three-Eyed Raven. Just like if Jon described to Dany what happened at Hardhome, perhaps she would think twice about her "Bend the knee" obsession and realize that nobody is going to survive if she doesn't help the North. Even if the conversations didn't happen on screen, but were referred to later by the characters, I think it would bring more realism to the characters' human qualities, like wanting to know more about huge threats or their siblings experiences since they last saw them. I saw no evidence that any of these conversations were had off screen. That is what puzzles me.

But mine is just one perspective.
I've got to agree. It's very hard to determine what the characters know at any given time.

• Information