Gendry theory

Needle

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:09 am

I think a lot of people missed a very important detail that might hint to his future. Season 4 episode 1, Tywin is reforging Ice into Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. And who reforged the swords? Tobho Mott, the man Gendry used to be an apprentice of.
Very few people know how to reforge Valyrian Steel, and no one knows how to create it. Maybe Sam finds a guide on how to forge it in one of the books he took, and Gendry manages to forge more weapons.
Aside from that, something like marrying Arya sounds like fanservice to lots of people, and I get why, but I still think it would be essential to the plot. If the war is over and each character can finally live the life they want, I doubt Arya would want a crazily intense life. She would still swordfight, but I think she has had enough of being scared and having to save herself from death. So settling down with Gendry doesn't seem too far fetched.

evenwind

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Needle wrote:
I think a lot of people missed a very important detail that might hint to his future. Season 4 episode 1, Tywin is reforging Ice into Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. And who reforged the swords? Tobho Mott, the man Gendry used to be an apprentice of.
Very few people know how to reforge Valyrian Steel, and no one knows how to create it. Maybe Sam finds a guide on how to forge it in one of the books he took, and Gendry manages to forge more weapons.
Good catch!

I think you're right. Gendry will use Sam's knowledge to forge new Valerian steel - because the secret formula will be regular steel + dragonglass. There's got to be a good reason that Gendry is a smith.

Not Littlefinger

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Needle wrote:
Aside from that, something like marrying Arya sounds like fanservice to lots of people, and I get why, but I still think it would be essential to the plot. If the war is over and each character can finally live the life they want, I doubt Arya would want a crazily intense life. She would still swordfight, but I think she has had enough of being scared and having to save herself from death. So settling down with Gendry doesn't seem too far fetched.
Are you positive that's the same guy? I thought later that episode Tywin told Jamie that he had him come in from Volantis to rework the sword. Gendry's boss worked in Kings Landing.

evenwind

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Not Littlefinger wrote:

Are you positive that's the same guy? I thought later that episode Tywin told Jamie that he had him come in from Volantis to rework the sword. Gendry's boss worked in Kings Landing.
It's the same guy. He's from Qohor.
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Tobho_Mott

Needle

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 am

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Needle wrote:
Couldn't find a specific clip of it (it's understandable, it was a minor and unimportant moment lol) but it's at the beginning of season 4 episode 1, Tywin looks at the newly reforged swords and goes "thank you master Mott" or something similar. Later in that episode he also tells Jaime that there are only three living smiths in the entire world who know how to reforge Valyrian steel, Tobho Mott being one of them, so it only shows how much they are in a dire need of a smith who knows how to do it. None of the three knows how to make it, only reforge it, and even if they did know how to forge new swords, I doubt they'd risk their lives to go all the way north and make weapons to defend Westeros against something as 'absurd' as white walkers.

Bronn Ferking

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 am

How 'bout:

Jon dies, Daenarys exiles herself to Essos in mourning pregnant with their"true born heir" (urg!). She legitimizes Gendry, he sits on the throne with Sansa at his side, all the while loving another . Jorah goes to the watch. Arya is Wardeness of the North, Bran under a tree. One of the Greyjoys on the Salt throne, seething. Cersei dead by whoever the bloody Valonquar is, Tyrion still sniffing around the throne trying to have the real power à la Tywin
And we go again...

Not Littlefinger

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

evenwind wrote:
Not Littlefinger wrote:

The wikia article doesn't mention anything about him in Season 4. I don't know what that does or doesn't prove, and of course I could be wrong.

Edit: it says that he reforged Ice in the "In The Books" section of the page. That works for me.

Ginevra

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 am

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am
evenwind wrote:
Not Littlefinger wrote:

The wikia article doesn't mention anything about him in Season 4. I don't know what that does or doesn't prove, and of course I could be wrong.

Edit: it says that he reforged Ice in the "In The Books" section of the page. That works for me.
Not Mott in the show, it seems. Here is what Tywin says in "Two Swords."
There are three living smiths who know how to rework Valyrian steel. The finest of them was in Volantis. Came here to King's Landing at my invitation.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.u ... ode=s04e01
But of course, Mott would have already been in King's Landing. However, I believe EvenWind is thinking of the books where we do indeed have "Master Mott" named as the armorer who brought both swords to Tywin when Tyrion was present and the swords were first introduced to us.
“You have done good work, Master Mott,” Lord Tywin told the armorer. “My steward will see to your payment. And remember, rubies for the scabbards.”

Martin, George R. R.. A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (p. 435). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
And with Valyrian steel killing the Others, I cannot help but think that this quote in this same segment is quite telling!!!!! (I'm not sure they'll go here in the show, but I'm sure the swords have been hung in the books.)
Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone.

Martin, George R. R.. A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (p. 433). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

evenwind

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 am

Ginevra wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 am
There are three living smiths who know how to rework Valyrian steel. The finest of them was in Volantis. Came here to King's Landing at my invitation.
But of course, Mott would have already been in King's Landing. However, I believe EvenWind is thinking of the books where we do indeed have "Master Mott" named as the armorer who brought both swords to Tywin when Tyrion was present and the swords were first introduced to us.
Tywin isn't explicit as to when this happened. He was Hand for Aerys II for 20 years or so and could have invited the smith during that time - which would fit the story timeline just fine.

PulledGroin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 pm

No, its purely fan service, they said as much in the inside the episode on HBO. Instead of having Davos sit by the boat and twiddle his thumbs, he can go find out what happened to Gendry, and set up some more inside jokes/banter with Jon and the Brotherhood. He is basically another Brienne, someone you like, but unimportant in the grand scheme of things, that they will probably kill off in some battle in S8 to make you sad lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDV1EEvGHc

The Gendry comments start around 3:10

• Information