Jon's Claim

Crispy Shireen

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:02 pm

So now that we know that Rheagar had his marriage to Elia Martell anulled, does this now mean that Jon definitely has a better claim to the throne than Dany?

Ginevra

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes. From the moment we knew that Jon was the crowned prince's son, it was obvious to me that he'd have to be legit and that he'd likely inherit the Seven Kingdoms or what is left of them. The gun had been hung, as Wimsey might say. Sunday night was the long-awaited confirmation of legitimacy.

evenwind

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm
Sunday night was the long-awaited confirmation of legitimacy.
True. But only for the viewers. I just hope they handle the Big Reveal to the characters in a believable way.

Wimsey

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 pm

evenwind wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:27 pm

True. But only for the viewers. I just hope they handle the Big Reveal to the characters in a believable way.
So far, it is only for the viewers! However, this gun has been hung & has to be fired. The question is: will people believe it? Will they accept the annulment?

Of course, this could all be rendered moot if Daenerys marries Jon. As she told Daario, marriage was too good a political tool for her to have a boyfriend hanging around. However, who else is there that she can marry that will provide any political advantages? Robyn Arryn, perhaps: but the Vale seems to be following Jon. Jaime Lannister: but only if that causes him to defect from Cersei, and Tyrion would argue that would not happen. (And, let's face it: marrying the guy who killed your father AND who tried to kill you once already would be off-putting, even given who her father was.)

Ultimately, I think that the biggest thing is going to be Jon realizing that he's spent his entire life trying to prove that a bastard could be just as good as anyone else: and it will turn out that he's not a bastard after all. Somehow, in some way, this is going to affect Jon's big choices at the end.

Indeed, at this point, I really think that our big speculation should be: what is going to be the setting that makes this somehow relevant to what to do with White Walkers? We still don't know why they are back: and crazy though it might sound, their "why" and Jon's "what" are going to be pieces of a puzzle that are linked somehow in the story.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

• Information