GoT General Discussion Guidelines

Dee Stark

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 am

Ginevra wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm
Dornish Gourmand wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm
Thanks. I'm just trying to get the hang of this forum's layout so please forgive me if quotes, etc. are awkwardly formatted for a time. I'll be especially careful about spoilers though and always use spoiler code should I divulge (although now that we've passed the books I'm trying to keep my knowledge of them at a minimum as well).
There is an Unsullied forum for those who are not sullied by the books. My impression of this forum is that it is primarily for those already sullied by the books and for those who do not care about seeing book stuff but who have not been (nor want to be) sullied by unofficial (non-HBO-released) leaks from episodes yet to be aired. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think for discussing all leaks and spoilers you would need to be in the quarantine forum. In this one, leaks and spoilers should be covered.

Ginevra

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm

SueTheFury wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Welcome to our General Discussion Forum! This is the main place to be for all you fans. You can chat about most anything related to Game of Thrones.

We do also have a forum for the Unsullied (the Spoiler-Free Talk area) and a forum for those who want to go hog-wild with spoiler discussion and leak talk without using spoiler-coding called Quarantine. Do not mix them up!

This forum is the middle-ground, comparable to the comments section on most Watchers on the Wall posts.

Here are a few guidelines for the General Discussion forum:

1. We do ask that you cover spoilers that have not aired yet on HBO with spoiler coding. Once the episode has aired on HBO, Sunday nights at 9PM Eastern US Time, you can post about the episode openly.

2. How do you cover spoilers? Easy as pie on the forums- you just use this button: Image Click that button on the bar above the writing area when you're composing your post, and place your spoiler info in between the coding! When you Preview your post, you'll see that it works!

3. Follow the standard Watchers on the Wall rules of civility, as laid out in our FAQ.

4. If we think of anything else, we'll let you know!

Thank you all for joining us!

Sue the Fury
Hi, Sue. Can you clarify for us if "all spoilers" including things like book quotes need to be covered in this forum? My impression was that this "middle ground" was where only Season 7 spoilers yet to air, as mentioned in Rule #1, are considered worthy of spoiling in this forum. But Dee believes that all book quotes and anything possibly construed as a spoiler would need to be covered, as well, in both this general forum and the Unsullied forum. I'd love clarification. Thanks!

Dee Stark

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm
SueTheFury wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Welcome to our General Discussion Forum! This is the main place to be for all you fans. You can chat about most anything related to Game of Thrones.

We do also have a forum for the Unsullied (the Spoiler-Free Talk area) and a forum for those who want to go hog-wild with spoiler discussion and leak talk without using spoiler-coding called Quarantine. Do not mix them up!

This forum is the middle-ground, comparable to the comments section on most Watchers on the Wall posts.

Here are a few guidelines for the General Discussion forum:

1. We do ask that you cover spoilers that have not aired yet on HBO with spoiler coding. Once the episode has aired on HBO, Sunday nights at 9PM Eastern US Time, you can post about the episode openly.

2. How do you cover spoilers? Easy as pie on the forums- you just use this button: Image Click that button on the bar above the writing area when you're composing your post, and place your spoiler info in between the coding! When you Preview your post, you'll see that it works!

3. Follow the standard Watchers on the Wall rules of civility, as laid out in our FAQ.

4. If we think of anything else, we'll let you know!

Thank you all for joining us!

Sue the Fury
Hi, Sue. Can you clarify for us if "all spoilers" including things like book quotes need to be covered in this forum? My impression was that this "middle ground" was where only Season 7 spoilers yet to air, as mentioned in Rule #1, are considered worthy of spoiling in this forum. But Dee believes that all book quotes and anything possibly construed as a spoiler would need to be covered, as well, in both this general forum and the Unsullied forum. I'd love clarification. Thanks!

Thanks for asking Sue... Clarification would be super helpful :) :) the reason why I think all sullied stuff should be covered here is because when you go to the UNSULLIED forum, it is expected that NO leaks and NO book stuff be mentioned at all, even COVERED.. if you look at the guidelines in that forum, it doesn't even mention spoiler covering because I don't think spoilers are allowed at all..

. No ASOIAF book discussion is allowed here! None at all, no matter how harmless you think it is. Leave it at the door.

2. No spoilers or information of any kind from the filming of Game of Thrones season 7 (or the most current season). This includes any kind of leak that might appear anywhere online.

Ginevra

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Dee Stark wrote:
Thanks for asking Sue... Clarification would be super helpful :) :) the reason why I think all sullied stuff should be covered here is because when you go to the UNSULLIED forum, it is expected that NO leaks and NO book stuff be mentioned at all, even COVERED.. if you look at the guidelines in that forum, it doesn't even mention spoiler covering because I don't think spoilers are allowed at all.
Ah, okay. The reason I think book quotes would be allowed is because they aren't specifically mentioned here, but I could be so wrong! And in that case, I have a lot of covering to go back and do.

The reason I would like for book quotes not to be covered here (sorry Dee) is that it is impossible for me to tell without uncovering whether a spoiler is a book spoiler or a Season 7 leak. If Season 7 leaks are the only spoilers in this area, I know not to uncover any!!! If book spoilers have to be covered, then I won't be able to read the evidence that others share because I won't know if it is a leak or not.

And I don't consider book quotes to be very spoilery nowadays since the show has surpassed the books. If there is a character or subplot in the books who is never in the show (she-who-shan't-be-named), I will of course avoid that or cover with a spoiler.

Dee Stark

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Ginevra wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:53 pm
Dee Stark wrote:
Thanks for asking Sue... Clarification would be super helpful :) :) the reason why I think all sullied stuff should be covered here is because when you go to the UNSULLIED forum, it is expected that NO leaks and NO book stuff be mentioned at all, even COVERED.. if you look at the guidelines in that forum, it doesn't even mention spoiler covering because I don't think spoilers are allowed at all.
Ah, okay. The reason I think book quotes would be allowed is because they aren't specifically mentioned here, but I could be so wrong! And in that case, I have a lot of covering to go back and do.

The reason I would like for book quotes not to be covered here (sorry Dee) is that it is impossible for me to tell without uncovering whether a spoiler is a book spoiler or a Season 7 leak. If Season 7 leaks are the only spoilers in this area, I know not to uncover any!!! If book spoilers have to be covered, then I won't be able to read the evidence that others share because I won't know if it is a leak or not.

And I don't consider book quotes to be very spoilery nowadays since the show has surpassed the books. If there is a character or subplot in the books who is never in the show (she-who-shan't-be-named), I will of course avoid that or cover with a spoiler.

I agree with you on book stuff... I usually just skip over when someone mentions the book.

Flayed Potatoes

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm

I'd say book quotes from books/storylines that have been adapted should be allowed without a spoiler. We're referencing events that have already happened on the show. Like, for example if I want to compare Jon's goodbye scene with Bran in the show to the one in the books, I should be able to do that without spoilers. It's ultimately describing the same event, but with some inner monologue and one or two different lines.

a girl has no name

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:22 pm

arabian wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm
I have a question about the avatars.

How come some are closer to the right of the comment box and others are farther away. Like mine and Ginevra's are farther away while Flayed Potates and QueenofThrones are closer to the right.
Ive tried several times to pick a avatar from google images but each time I do I get a 'address not valid'. Any suggestions?

arabian

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm

You have to get the URL of the image, or download the image to your computer/laptop and upload the image to gravatar (which can take a bigger size than the forum here can). The latter might be your best option. I got one I liked, cropped it and played with it a bit in my photoshop and uploaded it to gravatar.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

QueenofThrones

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:39 pm

arabian wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm
You have to get the URL of the image, or download the image to your computer/laptop and upload the image to gravatar (which can take a bigger size than the forum here can). The latter might be your best option. I got one I liked, cropped it and played with it a bit in my photoshop and uploaded it to gravatar.
You don't have to upload the image to gravitar. Once you put it on your computer, just upload it directly to this site (that's how I did it).

You may need to resize the image to do direct upload. It has to be less than 6KB and 150x150 pixels.

• Information