My predictions for season 8 before knowing any spoilers

Chilli

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

I’ll soon say goodbye here until season 8 has ended because I want to stay spoiler free. But first my predictions before knowing any spoilers:
- I would love for Beric and Tormund to survive, but I don’t see how they can escape even if they survived season 7. I think they will be the first known characters to die in season 8.
- The castles between Eastwatch and Winterfell will all fall: Last Heart, Karhold and The Dreadfort.
- Jon, Dany and their armies will arrive at Winterfell before The Night King. Bran and Sam will somehow tell him that Rhaegar is his father and he is heir to the Iron Throne. Dany will be devastated that Jon has a better claim. And Jon will be devastated that Ned is not his biological father. But there won’t be much time to think about that because the army of the dead is getting closer.
- A lot of secondary characters will die in the first 4 episodes, but no main characters.
- Bran and Sam are going to find out how to defeat the Night King. Jon is going to kill The Night King, but Bran is going to die. Sam will survive and writes the song of Ice and Fire.
- Sam will give his sword Heartsbane to Jorah Mormont. He will die trying to save Dany.
- When the Night King is killed and everybody is happy, Euron is going to attack them with the Golden Company.
- Theon will kill Euron but will be too late to save his sister. The fisherman’s daughter from some seasons ago got pregnant and gives Theon an heir, so the Greyjoy line will be continued.
- Jamie and Cersei will die. Jamie will die a heroic dead while saving someone’s life. Cersei will get killed by Jamie or Arya. The Hound will kill his brother The Mountain. Tyrion survives and be hand of the surviving king/queen.
- Cersei dies before giving birth.
- Dany is pregnant and gives birth to a boy/girl. I’ve always thought she would die while giving birth and she would be with Khal Drogo and Rhaego again.
- I don’t see Arya surviving.
- Lyanna Mormont will survive because I don’t see any wights/ white walkers daring to come near to her.
- Jon will survive and will be king Aegon VI of Westeros.
- Sansa will be warden of the North.
- The Iron Throne will be destroyed. Jon/Aegon will rule from the north.

What do you think?

Combat Boots

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 am

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME

Chilli

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Addition:
The Night King with his dragon can drop a few White Walkers in The Vale, The Riverlands and Kingslanding. The White Walkers can kill people to make Wights. And the Wights can kill other people that the White Walkers can turn.
There’s no need for the whole army to go south, he can create new armies very quickly.

jpknitt

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 am

I suspect Tyrion has been playing the long con and will turn on Dany in an attempt to win his way back into the Lannister family.

Wimsey

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:59 pm

jpknitt wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 am
I suspect Tyrion has been playing the long con and will turn on Dany in an attempt to win his way back into the Lannister family.
Why? Tyrion hates his family, save for Jaime: and Jaime no longer is on great terms with Cersei. Tywin is dead: and although Tyrion always craved Tywin's acceptance, he never craved Cersei's and he always had Jaime's.

I am skeptical about most of these predictions. What I think is going to happen is what has been setup: someone (probably Bran) is going to work out what the Night King and the Walkers really want, which is tied to why they went away the first time and why they are back. We have the fairy tales: but one thing that the show has made clear (as do the books) is that fairy tales are 99% lies and 1% ironic truths. And that means that the obvious "enemies" are (yet again) not what the main characters thought they were.

Add to this that we've seen some basic openings. The Walkers were designed to fight an evil: and that evils is, well, the "good guys." Seeing that your side is not all that its cracked up to be is something that Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion and Arya all have done: this would be a culmination of that. The Walkers were basically enslaved to fight for someone else. That's something that Jon and Daenerys have really experienced first hand: Daenerys through the Unsullied, and Jon through many of the many members of the Night's Watch for whom the service was a penalty for some literal or figurative crime. However, Tyrion also has experienced it: through no choice of his own, he was born a Lannister, and has been effectively an escaped "slave" of that family. Arya also has: through no choice of her own, she was born female and thus has been effectively an escaped "slave" to the social expectations of that. Even Bran has: through a combination of choices he did not make (Jaime pushing him out of a tower) and situations where he was left "no other choice" (fleeing Winterfell and the summons of the 3-Eyed Raven), he's been transformed into a demi-god. In a way, what has happened to him is no different than what happened to the Walkers, Unsullied, etc.

The other big wild card is R'hllor. We still do not know what that is or why it so hates the Walkers. We have a hint: we know that the Children created the Walkers, and assuming that the Children are like real people, then their solution to the Walkers would have been something along the same lines. (Just as humans, say, introduce a new predator to try to control the last predator that they introduced: and then see the weasels feast on the marsupials rather than the cane toads....)

Indeed, one twist that I can see on this is the recognition that the real enemy is R'hllor: and that the Walkers are another version of the Wildlings that must become allies to fight it. We certainly have the tools in place for the main characters to discover something like this.

Here is the key: ultimately, the climaxes are going to punctuate the stories, and ALL of the stories to date hinge on the main characters finding all of their choices "good" for reasons A, B & C, but "wrong" for reasons D, E & F, whereas other options are "right" for reasons D, E & F but "wrong" for reasons A, B & C. And that means that the climax is going to hinge on Jon & Daenerys as well as to (lesser extents) Tyrion, Arya, Bran and possibly Sansa having to make some set of "damned if you do, damned if you do not" choices in which they try to find the choices with the least damnation involved.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

jpknitt

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 am

Just a hunch. He talks with Cersei and suddenly she (falsely) commits her army to the cause? Sure he hated his father but he always wanted to prove he belonged in that family, didn't he?

I think mostly it just stems from an overall 'show' aspect. Most theories and predictions with any thought behind them all started coming true last season. All the things fans have been clamoring for were delivered. But then everyone got mad that the show was too predictable and whatnot. It would be a great way for them to have one last unforeseen mindf%&k twist in the last season to get back to what made the show great in a lot of people's eyes.

Or maybe he's The Little Prince who was Promised? :D

Wimsey

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:59 pm

jpknitt wrote:
Just a hunch. He talks with Cersei and suddenly she (falsely) commits her army to the cause? Sure he hated his father but he always wanted to prove he belonged in that family, didn't he?
Cersei falsely promised her army because she spotted a potential opening. Remember, Tyrion thinks that one of Cersei's few (if not only) redeeming features is that she dearly loves her children. That's going to be his angle: do this for your son/daughter to be. And that's her opening: the dolt will think that I'm really committing, which means that I can let the White Walkers take out my enemy and I'll do.. er.. something later.

However, what Tyrion really wants is Cersei dead. He hates her more than he hates any other person alive.
jpknitt wrote:
It would be a great way for them to have one last unforeseen mindf%&k twist in the last season to get back to what made the show great in a lot of people's eyes.
Hardcore fans, yes: Joe & Jane HBO-Subscriber, no. Remember, we hardcores group-think these things, and we thus should have the right answers by now. Nobody has yet devised a way to tell stories well that would let them survive group-think: because, of course, 1) so few stories are told over the course of years; and, 2) this sort of thing was only made possible 20 years ago.

So, no: there cannot be any "mind-fucks" of this nature that would not be plot-holes or equivalents thereof. One of the major unfired guns on the series is Tyrion getting his revenge against Cersei: what we should be discussing is what Tyrion has in mind for this pleasured delayed. And that is what his pained looks almost certainly reflect: the facts that he cannot get the quick gratification that he'd hoped to get, and/or that he is going to have be duplicitous down the road after Cersei might shock everyone and actually do the right thing for once. And, let's face it: Tyrion has to be worried that Cersei is again lying.

For them to do what you want, then we would have to have seen and/or read that Tyrion actually pined for acceptance by his sister. However, that gun has not been hung in either medium. Firing it now would be the character-development equivalent of Deus ex Machina!
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

jpknitt

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:51 am

In any event, I really just want to see something that NOBODY saw coming. :D

Wimsey

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:13 am

jpknitt wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:51 am
In any event, I really just want to see something that NOBODY saw coming. :D
heh, at this point, EVERYTHING has been predicted by someone!

I think that there are two possibilities for relatively big surprises: the Why? of the White Walkers, and what exactly R'hllor is. Neither will be something that nobody saw coming, but both could be things that only a small fraction of fans saw coming.

And, keep in mind: for the vast majority of the viewers, Jon being Ned's Nephew was a sort of Sixth Sense moment: unless they were fans, they probably assumed that Jon was Ned's son, but after the reveal, they probably looked back and thought: "oh, that makes total sense..." That is the sort of reveal you get with good storytelling.
A. P. Chehkov

jpknitt

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

So if Tyrion IS playing the long con it doesn't count because I predicted it. :D

• Information