My predictions for season 8 before knowing any spoilers

Wimsey

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 pm

jpknitt wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am
So if Tyrion IS playing the long con it doesn't count because I predicted it. :D
heh, touché! But, again: expect something just a little more parsimonious! 8-)
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Sean_C

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Wimsey wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:59 pm
However, what Tyrion really wants is Cersei dead. He hates her more than he hates any other person alive.
One of the major unfired guns on the series is Tyrion getting his revenge against Cersei: what we should be discussing is what Tyrion has in mind for this pleasured delayed. And that is what his pained looks almost certainly reflect: the facts that he cannot get the quick gratification that he'd hoped to get, and/or that he is going to have be duplicitous down the road after Cersei might shock everyone and actually do the right thing for once. And, let's face it: Tyrion has to be worried that Cersei is again lying.

For them to do what you want, then we would have to have seen and/or read that Tyrion actually pined for acceptance by his sister. However, that gun has not been hung in either medium. Firing it now would be the character-development equivalent of Deus ex Machina!
Book Tyrion wants revenge on Cersei. TV Tyrion has never shown any such desire, in particular since he left KL. He’s the purest good guy main character on the show, give or take Jon.

Wimsey

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Sean_C wrote:
Book Tyrion wants revenge on Cersei. TV Tyrion has never shown any such desire, in particular since he left KL. He’s the purest good guy main character on the show, give or take Jon.
One, yes, Tyrion has expressed it, and, two, there are no "pure[st] good guys" on the show.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Sean_C

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Wimsey wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm
Sean_C wrote:
One, yes, Tyrion has expressed it, and, two, there are no "pure[st] good guys" on the show.
Identify when in recent seasons Tyrion has espoused a desire for revenge on Cersei.

And yeah, there absolutely are, and Tyrion is the number one. He's been systematically stripped of all of the darker characteristics that GRRM wrote into him. The whole of Season 7 was about him trying to make Dany queen of Westeros without killing anybody, to the point where his plans caused catastrophic losses to her own forces rather than go for the jugular. Post-Season 4 Tyrion has been on a polar opposite emotional direction compared to his book counterpart, who is all about revenge.

rmur23

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm

I see no way this doesn't end in Jon dying and Dany living.

Jon:

-Has already shown multiple times his willingness to sacrifice
-Has already died, been brought back, and then requested NOT to be brought back again. He knows what is on the other side.
-Death has already been foreshadowed - Hound saying to Beric: "You're on your last life, you lost your priest" after Thoros died; Melisandre has foretold her own death. The only two people who could bring him back again will be dead next season.
-Whole purpose since season 1 has been to protect the realm and the kingdom from WW. Went to the Wall and joined NW season 1 and first fought a WW then. Will die protecting/saving/sacrificing everyone from NK.

Dany:
-1/3 of the entire series has been about her coming from nothing and becoming a leader from her own resolve.
-ASOIAF/GOT has been about women's capabilities, leadership, equality, etc. They won't end up putting a man on the throne at the end.
-Every likeable character has been brought to her side to help rule.
-Have heard countless times how she will rule the 7K
-House of the undying showed her walking through destroyed throne room, so she will need to survive battle to see it.

Bittersweet ending will be Jon sacrificing and Dany living to raise their child.

Flayed Potatoes

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I see nothing's changed :roll:

Frokkie

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:11 pm

I 100% feel that Bran will die by Catspaw Dagger, that was the dagger that was to kill him as a child by the assassin. It is all over the books Sam has read. Bran is afraid of it and even mention his death by dagger. Then he gave it to the person he knows who will end the cycle - his sister Arya. A perfect ending.

Chilli

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Tyrion said in the last episode to Jon that sometimes you have to lie. Tyrion hates Cersei, but he loved Myrcella and Tommen and might feel guilty that they died. He was the one sending Myrcella to Dorne. When he realised Cersei was pregnant, it might have been his idea that she would pretend she was going to help so Jon and Dany would leave and an immediate war would be avoided. He might have told Cersei that Dany was barren and promised Cersei he would help put her kid on the throne. That's why he was worried seeing Jon entering Dany's chamber.

LufkinAg

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm

"-Death has already been foreshadowed - Hound saying to Beric: "You're on your last life, you lost your priest" after Thoros died; Melisandre has foretold her own death. The only two people who could bring him back again will be dead next season."

Not true they showed another Red Priestes in Season six.

"Tyrion said in the last episode to Jon that sometimes you have to lie. Tyrion hates Cersei, but he loved Myrcella and Tommen and might feel guilty that they died. He was the one sending Myrcella to Dorne. When he realised Cersei was pregnant, it might have been his idea that she would pretend she was going to help so Jon and Dany would leave and an immediate war would be avoided. He might have told Cersei that Dany was barren and promised Cersei he would help put her kid on the throne. That's why he was worried seeing Jon entering Dany's chamber."

Total BS and belongs in a fairy tale.

Chilli

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

You want to explain why it is BS? I followed all the online discussions, interviews on WOTW and on reddit for several years. I've also read all the filming reports. And I've read all the books. Maybe I'll be wrong about some details, but I don't think I will be wrong about everything. It's the only way they can keep Tyrion interesting, otherwise he will only be a lap dog.

• Information