Ava DuVernay criticizes total lack of female directors on Game of Thrones (video)

The Dragon Demands

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 am

I made a news video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R30JUU3AmCE
Co-Head Administrator, Game of Thrones Wiki

Because Rhaenyra has an army.

Sansa

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am

Sigh... literally who cares. Directors should be hired because of their skill, not because of their gender/race/sexuality/whichever.
Also Michelle MacLaren directed season 3 episodes 7&8 and season 4 episodes 4&5 which were all highly praised

Dee Stark

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 am

Sansa wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am
Sigh... literally who cares. Directors should be hired because of their skill, not because of their gender/race/sexuality/whichever.
Also Michelle MacLaren directed season 3 episodes 7&8 and season 4 episodes 4&5 which were all highly praised
Sooo agree with this.

arabian

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 am

I do agree that there should be more female directors overall. And I do get AD's point of view. However, I think that ship sailed with GOT after season 2 or 3 simply because with something like this it becomes about knowing this universe, the logistics, how this whole operations -- which is massive and intricate -- how these characters and storylines work. And that is something that dropping in a new director in the last 2 or 3 seasons just really isn't going to happen.

So level that accusation at GOT in the first couple of seasons... fine, I'll give you some leeway. But now, just no. The accuser is not taking into account everything else that comes into play. Now it feels more like someone just taking a potshot at the most popular television show on the planet because it's an easy target that has been accused of being sexist and anti-women despite the fact that the show showed over the course of the seasons the majority of the women going from less-than and/or subservient roles to becoming the leaders, the queens, and the ones in power in every corner of the show's landscape.

I guess it's just easier to to take a stab at the 'tits and dragons' narrative instead.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

QueenofThrones

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am

I do think that from S1 to now, we have actually gone a bit down in terms of representation behind the camera/desk. We had writers like Jane Espenson in S1 (she wrote my favorite episode of all time, perhaps), but that changed as D&D decided to take up more of the writing duties themselves. I guess they felt they could just work better on their own than with others.

And yes, they've had a female director... I think the point is, why is she gone now? Maybe it's just who was available. Maybe not. I don't think we can tell at this point.
That would be nice, but implicit bias is a real thing. As it is now, people with the power to make this decisions will think of dude directors first because most directors are dudes and we are used to thinking of directors as dudes and it continues in an infinite loop forever unless people make a motivated decision to actually break out of that loop. Which is hard to do because implicit bias.

Anyhow. Would love to see more women directors next season.

The Dragon Demands

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 pm

arabian wrote:
I do agree that there should be more female directors overall. And I do get AD's point of view. However, I think that ship sailed with GOT after season 2 or 3 simply because with something like this it becomes about knowing this universe, the logistics, how this whole operations -- which is massive and intricate -- how these characters and storylines work. And that is something that dropping in a new director in the last 2 or 3 seasons just really isn't going to happen.

[blank, incredulous stare]

Michelle MacLaren left after Season 4.

Season 5 had 5 directors, each directing two episodes back to back: Michael Slovis, Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Miguel Sapochnik, and David Nutter.

Of these, FOUR OUT OF FIVE were new directors who had never worked on the TV series at all. Only David Nutter had worked on the show before, in Season 2.

So you're basing your "new, female directors can't join a show five years into it" theory...on what, exactly?

"Anyhow. Would love to see more women directors next season."

I explain that in the video - no, they've publicly announced the full list of writers/directors through the final season; no new ones, thus no women.
Co-Head Administrator, Game of Thrones Wiki

Because Rhaenyra has an army.

Ryan Neuner

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 pm

The Dragon Demands wrote:
I explain that in the video - no, they've publicly announced the full list of writers/directors through the final season; no new ones, thus no women.
Just clarifying: David and Dan announced the Season 8 writers lineup at SXSW, but we haven't heard anything about directors. So it's possible that MacLaren could return (I doubt she will) or that we get another female director(s). However, I doubt we'll get any new directors – male for female – for Season 8.

arabian

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 am

arabian wrote:

Season 5 had 5 directors, each directing two episodes back to back: Michael Slovis, Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Miguel Sapochnik, and David Nutter.

Of these, FOUR OUT OF FIVE were new directors who had never worked on the TV series at all. Only David Nutter had worked on the show before, in Season 2.
I did specifically say the last 2 or 3 seasons which would be seasons 6 through 8 and you mentioned season 5. With that said, I didn't realize that they had that many new directors in season 5. And in that case, then there is no excuse. They should be bringing in female directors. I did think the reason they hadn't was because they weren't bringing in new directors period because of the scope of the thing but since that isn't the case... well, then, yeah, there is no excuse.
Gendry: You shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

Dee Stark

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

arabian wrote:

So you're basing your "new, female directors can't join a show five years into it" theory...on what, exactly?

"Anyhow. Would love to see more women directors next season."

omgg get over it lol

• Information