Ice Spiders?

Crispy Shireen

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm

What do you guys think the likelihood is of us seeing the giant ice spiders that Old Nan told Bran about in season 7 or 8? I personally think it would be cool to see them when the white walkers invade.

HelenCarnate

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Chekhov's Ice Spiders... mentioned in Season One they *must* be used before the show is over. :|
Team Targaryen since 1997 | Twitter: @helencarnatenh

GeraltOfRivia

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:20 am

HelenCarnate wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm
Chekhov's Ice Spiders... mentioned in Season One they *must* be used before the show is over. :|
They mentioned them again at Hardhome. I think we'll see them peither this or next season. When you're gonna bring this up this many times, they have aces up their sleeves.
Just a guy full of sarcasm, flaws and himself.

Dennai

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 am

As awesomely cool as they would be, I don't think they will. I reckon any past mentions were just winks to the fans.

I just don't think they would be bringing anything to the table. It worked very nicely in Old Nan's tale because they were chasing one man. You can imagine yourself in the flight and hope to outrun wights and White Walkers, hide from them, fool them somehow, they are close enough to humans to draw those scenarios. But with something so alien as a giant ice spider, the unknown qualities/quantities multiply the fear factor several times over. How fast are they? Can they see in the dark, hear me, smell me? Do they make any noise? Can I even be aware of their presence before it's too late? If I face it, how could I kill it, where do I need to stab? Can it spit web from a distance? Venom? Would that venom kill me right away or just paralyse me so it can devour me at leisure? Could they be on the trees branching watching me right now, ready to pounce?

As part of an army they lose much of its edge. Sure, they are still creepy, but when you stand your ground behind a shield wall, I think undead Giants, polar bears and direwolves charging at you makes more of an effect that hound-sized spiders.

With all that said, if during this season the Ice Spiders are mentioned again in a conversation then I'd think the odds of them making an appereance in the show would increase considerably.

Wimsey

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 pm

GeraltOfRivia wrote:
They mentioned them again at Hardhome. I think we'll see them peither this or next season. When you're gonna bring this up this many times, they have aces up their sleeves.
Hmm, twice in 6 years is not that many times! Let's put it this way: most of the viewers are not going to remember these references.
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."
A. P. Chehkov

Crispy Shireen

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Wimsey wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 pm
GeraltOfRivia wrote:
Hmm, twice in 6 years is not that many times! Let's put it this way: most of the viewers are not going to remember these references.
Says the person with a Chekhov's gun signature!

Dark Archer

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I think with the bigger role of the army of the dead coming , the dragons & maybe nymeria's wolf pack the CGI budget may just be too much. Bring on the Grumpkins & Snarks !

Raeslewolhn

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Yes! Or next :)

• Information