Raeslewolhn

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Not Littlefinger wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:17 am
Raeslewolhn wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm
Not Littlefinger wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 pm

They already ruled out Robert's Rebellion because it's so heavily discussed in the show and wouldn't really bring anything new to the audience. I mean, it would be cool to see, like you said. But, it wouldn't really be thrilling because you know what happens and how it all plays out. And I highly doubt that HBO would give up any rights to the show or show material. It's their biggest cash cow.
Fair enough. Prequels are made though, so mayyyyybe. ;)

Now that I think about it, seeking the Poli drama audience would likely fail for all of these reasons. My reasoning was that the Poli drama and shocking characters harnesses a demo that scifi doesn't always get, which is why GoT is huge. Aegons conquest wouldn't have enough of the same characters, for those who like intrigue and these characters, same kind of problem with WWW1.

To really get the same effect, it would have to have more characters, to be a spin off dramatically, and use the same world, to be a viable franchise. It would need some of the same characters, and the fantasy stuff, so there's not really a good option! :cry:

But thinking about it now, it would ONLY be viable if they went fantasy about, like the first WW war. Fantasy and scifi fans loooove prequels and distant spinoffs.

You're right though, HBO would def not give up the rights. Are we sure they're not time limited?

I generally just don't think there will be one at all.... :(
From what I hear, it will almost certainly be a prequel, which I think will be pretty cool. And I'm positive that it will happen: they are discussing 4 different ideas right now. GoT is HBO's flagship show, and they're going to squeeze as much money out of it as possible. That being said, I don't know if their rights to it are time-limited, but it wouldn't feel right watching it from another network. However, I doubt they would be wasting time planning spinoffs (as they are doing right now) if they weren't positive they will have the legal rights to do so.

http://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-develo ... -spinoffs/
Sweeeeet! I didn't know that. Prequels and spinoffs are not HBOs m.o. but I can def see now how GoT will change that.

Thanks for sharing.

evenwind

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 pm

I just re-read GRRM's Not A Blog on the subject of spinoffs ( http://grrm.livejournal.com/?skip=10 scroll almost to the bottom ). Looks like there are five scripts in development, not four.

Not Littlefinger

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 am

evenwind wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 pm
I just re-read GRRM's Not A Blog on the subject of spinoffs ( http://grrm.livejournal.com/?skip=10 scroll almost to the bottom ). Looks like there are five scripts in development, not four.
All the better!

QueenofThrones

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:59 am

Though RR is out I wonder if they could do a prequel about the court of Young King Aerys. Young Tywin could be the central character, or maybe someone lesser known like Queen Rhaella or Johanna Lannister. Anyway we could witness Aerys very gradual decent into paranoia, Tywin becoming harder and crueler... and adorable incest twin kids running about. Should be lots of opportunity for politics and intrigue.

Grandmaester Flash

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 am

Blackfyre Rebellions would be good.

• Information