Dany is Jon's ..... errrr, Aegon's aunt?

WotW Spoiler Town, with extensive House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones Spoilers including major leaks, filming spoilers, photos and all. Consider yourself warned!
Flayed Potatoes

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Violator wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm

So, I'm not really sure what Tyrion is looking so worried about. Maybe he was upset because Dany gets her house sigil on her cabin door and he doesn't? Perhaps he was about to play a game of Scrabble with Dany and Jon git in the way? Maybe he'd just remembered he'd locked himself out of his cabin or left his wallet at the Dragonpit? Maybe he just realised he wanted a poo?
My guess is Tyrion is worried Dany will start listening to Jon instead of him. She already listened to Jon over Jorah. Dany would have probably been better off if she had simply trusted Jon and listened to him from the beginning instead of following Tyrion's plans. And Tyrion probably knows he messed up as well.

I'd also assume he's worried that Dany will be distracted by her love for Jon and lose track of her objectives.

Raeslewolhn

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Violator wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm
WildSeed wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:15 pm
[/i].
I generally agree with Raeslewolhn on this point. To what
degree of common ancestry that links Danerys & Jon, is of
courseimportant but does lessen the chance of a malformed
fetus.Depending on the Ploidy sets (Haploid,Diploid) and
individual healthiness of the mated pairs (Jon & Dany) , the
two may produce a healthy offspring.

The risk of passing on lethal genes does remain. Even in
make believe Westeros, infant deformities were clearly
demonstrated.

I'm more concerned about that expression on Tyrion's face,
when Jon entered Danerys's bed chambers. As an avid reader
and one whom appreciates history, I have little doubt that
Tyrian has come across dated texts of former high Septons.
If true, Aeamon Targaryeon, Samwell, Bran and Tyrion have
learned that major insight.

WildSeed
Tyrion showed absolutely no concern in episode 6 when he spoke to Dany and enjoyed the obvious mischief in telling her how much Jon's feelings had changed towards her and watching her try to pretend she wasn't enamoured by Jon too.

He might as well have just started singing, 'Jon and Dany sitting in a tree...'.

There's no indication that he has romantic feelings towards Dany and he obviously has no idea our Star Crossed lovers are related, because he hasn't acted in any way which would suggest that. I don't know - even the concern that there would be political consequences doesn't seem to work as politically speaking, they make an obvious and very strong alliance. If Tyrion wanted Dany to hold out for a better politicial marriage, he would have cautioned Dany when he saw her developing feelings for Jon. He never did - completely the opposite in fact.

I did think that he was troubled by the possible ramifications of this,with regards to Dany producing an heir. Perhaps he wanted to encourage Dany to choose a successor on merit and begin a move away from inherited titles and begin a slow march towards constitutional change thus breaking the wheel? He might have been secretly pleased that Dany can't have children for that reason. However, he has no reason to suspect that Jon, any more than Daario would alter this fact.

I hate the whole 'breaking the wheel' thing because it creates a contradiction in Dany's motives but I won't go into that here.

So, I'm not really sure what Tyrion is looking so worried about. Maybe he was upset because Dany gets her house sigil on her cabin door and he doesn't? Perhaps he was about to play a game of Scrabble with Dany and Jon git in the way? Maybe he'd just remembered he'd locked himself out of his cabin or left his wallet at the Dragonpit? Maybe he just realised he wanted a poo?
I don't have an issue either, but it's interesting to analyze the depiction and viewer reaction. Incest is defined differently everywhere but it's a universal taboo.

As for Tyrion, maybe it's bc they're doing it before marriage,which isn't a morality thing but a political one. Maybe he wants a marriage but that doesn't seem enough either. Mayyybe they just wanted to tease us in some way

Pigeon

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Considering Dany grew up expecting to marry Viserys, she'd probably nothing of her relation to Jon.

Some are saying that Jon would be devastated that Ned isn't his biological father. I can see why he'd be saddened, but it doesn't change the fact that Ned risked a lot in order to BE his 'real' dad, and loved him. After what Jon told Theon about bot having to choose between being a Greyjoy or a Stark, I hope he'll extend himself the courtesy as well.

Loonyluna

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am

Rickard Stark's wife Lyarra, Ned and Lyanna's mother was her husband's cousin once removed. She was in other words married to her first cousin's son. Westeros has a lot of what we today call incestuous marriages, but the middle ages and well into the 19th century in the real world had the same sort of unions among the nobles. The Targaryens are slightly different as their incest is based on real world ancient Egyptian royal incest. So yeah Jon's father is Rhaegar whose sister is Dany, ie. Jon's aunt.

Puzzleandpetticoats

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:31 am

Yeah it's Aunt and Nephew. As for Jon/Aegon. He shall henceforth be known as Jaegon... or Jogon.

Isn't Targ sperm meant to be like super Strength? Also Dany lost one of her "children" when Viserion met his icy end. I know the prophecy and yadda yadda but I bet she's well up the spout. The incest bomb will push them apart but the baby plus the fact Targs inbred for years to keep bloodlines pure will have them hook back up... I hope.

S8 needs a bit of romance to balance the shitfest that the south are facing.

When will Jogon ride Rhagon?

Raeslewolhn

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm
Considering Dany grew up expecting to marry Viserys, she'd probably nothing of her relation to Jon.

Some are saying that Jon would be devastated that Ned isn't his biological father. I can see why he'd be saddened, but it doesn't change the fact that Ned risked a lot in order to BE his 'real' dad, and loved him. After what Jon told Theon about bot having to choose between being a Greyjoy or a Stark, I hope he'll extend himself the courtesy as well.
Great points. I agree completely. I think the Throne Convo had its own value but is definitely also a precursor to the wisdom Jon will need when he finds out!
Loonyluna wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am
Rickard Stark's wife Lyarra, Ned and Lyanna's mother was her husband's cousin once removed. She was in other words married to her first cousin's son. Westeros has a lot of what we today call incestuous marriages, but the middle ages and well into the 19th century in the real world had the same sort of unions among the nobles. The Targaryens are slightly different as their incest is based on real world ancient Egyptian royal incest. So yeah Jon's father is Rhaegar whose sister is Dany, ie. Jon's aunt.
Yeah, in this sense they're the median between the Stark incest norm of 1st cousins and the Targ norm of siblings.

• Information