How do you kill an ice zombie?

evenwind

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am

Anybody have any idea how you can kill a wight?

Fire seems to work as does getting stomped on by a giant and probably Valerian steel. But what about the weapons of the common soldier? At Hardhome, it looked like you could (temporarily) kill them with arrows but didn’t the dead ones get back up? Chopping them up with swords leaves them as multiple moving pieces – eventually creating aggressive hash, I suppose. Dragonglass arrows might work and maybe Aztec-style obsidian swords but nobody is talking about creating them.

I don’t remember any place where it says anything like “take off their heads and they die permanently”. If the common soldier has no way of killing the wights, isn’t it kind of stupid to do anything but run?

QueenofThrones

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:38 am

It seems like Fire is the primary weapon against wights. Fortunately, fire is something that is avaiable or can be made available to the common soldier. Primarily through the use of fire arrows, burning pitch, % explosives. I hope Cersei didn't blow up all of the wildfire, because that stuff will be useful in The North. Beyond that, we basically have to rely on dragons, which should be just as effective at destroying wights as they are at wiping out armies...

The Hardhome fight also revealed that the wights are basically puppets controlled by the white walkers, so I think that if the bodies of the dead are... disassembled thoroughly enough (by any means) that should also prevent their reanimation.

Flayed Potatoes

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:41 am

Looking at how wights were killed: when they attacked Bran and co in the season 4 finale, during Hardhome, and during Hold the Door, the solutions seem to be:

1. Fire (obviously... and humans can weaponize it)

2. Hack them into pieces (Meera did this with the skeletons in season 4, as did the Wildlings at Hardhome)

3. Remove/destroy the heads (this happens during Hold the Door... I believe one of the children uses a dragonglass weapon)

The humans can use flaming arrows and hack the wights into pieces/destroy the heads and then burn the remains after a battle. So soldiers can fight.

Don't forget that there is a lot of Dragonglass at Dragonstone and both Sam and Davos know this. If preparations for the Long Night are starting in the North, you can be sure that mining dragonglass and turning it into weapons (spears, arrows and so on) will be a priority.

Flayed Potatoes

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am

QueenofThrones wrote:
It seems like Fire is the primary weapon against wights. Fortunately, fire is something that is avaiable or can be made available to the common soldier. Primarily through the use of fire arrows, burning pitch, % explosives. I hope Cersei didn't blow up all of the wildfire, because that stuff will be useful in The North. Beyond that, we basically have to rely on dragons, which should be just as effective at destroying wights as they are at wiping out armies...

The Hardhome fight also revealed that the wights are basically puppets controlled by the white walkers, so I think that if the bodies of the dead are... disassembled thoroughly enough (by any means) that should also prevent their reanimation.
The good thing about wildfire is that the secret to making it hasn't been lost. Cersei had pyromancers make wildfire to defend King's Landing in season 2. If our heroes need more of it, they can simply ask pyromancers to produce it for them.

GeraltOfRivia

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 am

Flayed Potatoes wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am
QueenofThrones wrote:

The good thing about wildfire is that the secret to making it hasn't been lost. Cersei had pyromancers make wildfire to defend King's Landing in season 2. If our heroes need more of it, they can simply ask pyromancers to produce it for them.
They would have to destroy Cersei before they can get to it. She's not the kind of person to just handed to them. She'd rather use it on them and the white walkers but wildfire is another weapon.

As for OP question.

- Dragons
- Dragonglass
- Valyrian Steel Swords
- Wildfire
- Regular fire.
Just a guy full of sarcasm, flaws and himself.

QueenofThrones

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:51 am

GeraltOfRivia wrote:
They would have to destroy Cersei before they can get to it. She's not the kind of person to just handed to them. She'd rather use it on them and the white walkers but wildfire is another weapon.

As for OP question.

- Dragons
- Dragonglass
- Valyrian Steel Swords
- Wildfire
- Regular fire.
It's not clear to me that VS swords are particularly useful against the ice zombies (other than just being very good swords). I think you'd still need to destroy the body enough to prevent repuppet-ing by White walkers.

Of course VS is very useful against the puppet masters themselves.

evenwind

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

GeraltOfRivia wrote:
- Dragons
- Dragonglass
- Valyrian Steel Swords
- Wildfire
- Regular fire.
- Plus chopping them up into relatively harmless bits.

So it looks like a consensus. Or, to put it another way, the average soldier standing in the ranks with his sword and shield is totally screwed. I'm hoping that the designers take this stuff into consideration for the sake of versimiltude - maybe having the humans fighting their battles with long-range weapons like fire/dragonglass arrows and pitch-throwing mobile ballistae - but I'm not really expecting it.

GeraltOfRivia

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 pm

QueenofThrones wrote:
GeraltOfRivia wrote:

As for OP question.

- Dragons
- Dragonglass
- Valyrian Steel Swords
- Wildfire
- Regular fire.
It's not clear to me that VS swords are particularly useful against the ice zombies (other than just being very good swords). I think you'd still need to destroy the body enough to prevent repuppet-ing by White walkers.

Nothing cuts like VS sword but i though we were talking about White Walkers, Wights are resurrected corpses, ice zombies are the White Walkers and the Night king.
Just a guy full of sarcasm, flaws and himself.

evenwind

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:12 pm

I may certainly be wrong but I was using "ice zombies" and "wights" interchangably, both referring to re-animated corpses. I've been assuming that the White Walkers are alive in some manner.

QueenofThrones

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 pm

GeraltOfRivia wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 pm
QueenofThrones wrote:
GeraltOfRivia wrote:

As for OP question.

- Dragons
- Dragonglass
- Valyrian Steel Swords
- Wildfire
- Regular fire.

Nothing cuts like VS sword but i though we were talking about White Walkers, Wights are resurrected corpses, ice zombies are the White Walkers and the Night king.
OP says "wights" in the first sentence . We're discussing the icy reanimated corpses.

I don't consider the WW zombies in any case - the white walkers seem to be magically transformed humans rather than resurrected dead ones.

• Information